• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner - Thanksgiving Edition

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Would love to hear what everyone's doing for Thanksgiving Dinner?

I'll be alone or with my boy on the actual day, but cooking for my family on next Saturday. I'll be brining a 14 lb turkey most of this week, then grilling it, details to follow, and am also looking for an appetizer or two if anyone has any ideas.

So - what's for Thanksgiving dinner people? :)

Sounds pretty special to me :)

Will be having my parents, Em's parents, my brother and his girlfriend, and possibly her brother and his wife over for dinner. Em will do the turkey and green bean casserole, her mom will bring rolls and hash brown casserole, and usually the stuffing. Her stuffing is French Canadian, I think, not traditional Southern Stuffing I grew up with, but ridiculously good. Kind of like a meat pie without the pie. My folks will bring the brocolli casserole and pumpkin pie. I'm in charge of chocolate pie and cheesecake.

I will try to be on chat for the game, but I may not actually type much. Food comas can make that tricky.

Every year my family meets in the center of the state, and we go out for Thanksgiving at a nice restaurant. No one has to cook or clean, and everyone can order whatever they like. We've been doing that for the last fifteen years now.

french stuffing..sounds interesting.

It's terrific. She takes one part pork, one part beef, one part veal, all ground together with spices and herbs and cooks it up. It's really good. i was always used to traditional stuffing, Grandma made oyster stuffing, mom made cornbread stuffing, but this stuff is really good.

And she makes us a meat pie for Christmas. Used to be Em and I would get it and make it last a couple of days, but the kids like it now, so it lasts one or two meals and that's it these days.

Every year my family meets in the center of the state, and we go out for Thanksgiving at a nice restaurant. No one has to cook or clean, and everyone can order whatever they like. We've been doing that for the last fifteen years now.

It's all good, all traditions are wonderful, but for me and mine, cooking is half the fun.

It's all good, all traditions are wonderful, but for me and mine, cooking is half the fun.

Yes, you are a great cook.

My parents are approaching 80 years old, and they no longer want to spend 12 hours or whatever into shopping, and then cooking the meal.

It's the same for Christmas. Now, as long as finances are okay, we all meet and go on a cruise for Xmas.

It definitely seemed strange at first, but I've come to love it.

That sounds awesome my friend!

It is. Much less stress for everyone, and then more free days to spend with the family than the traditional route--at least for us.

This year my mother and my wife's mother are teaming up to cook dinner for my wife, my sister, her brother myself and the 2 moms. I told my mom she has to make a couple extra dishes because her mom's cooking really sucks! :laugh:

I am going to do a grilled turkey, so Boone would love any recipe, tips or suggestions. I am also making a broccoli casserole and ice box cake. My son is making a homemade mushroom gravy, stuffing, and cheesy garlic mashed potatoes. My wife is doing bread, pecan pie, and some other side dish.

We will all be stuffed by kickoff. It is great having a kid in culinary school to help cook.

I do mine for 3-4 hours (usually a 12-14 lb bird) on indirect medium heat. It's hard to screw up a bird on the grill, but I suggest you cover the top loosely with foil - pulling the foil off for the last 30-40 minutes. Otherwise, my experience is it'll get browner than you want. I'd also use a throwaway foil pan and keep an inch of chicken stock in it as you grill. As far as prepping the bird, I usually brine mine for a day or two before hand - lots of info on the internet on how to do that - and then before it goes on the grill, rub down with some olive oil, use a simple rub on the exterior (I usually just mix some garlic powder, salt, pepper, maybe some dried poultry seasoning). And I have stuffed turkeys with all kinds of things including orange halves, garlic cloves, onions, celery, and fresh poultry seasoning. Pretty simple stuff really....I've had great luck grilling my turkeys.

*sigh* My mom's work stretch (midnights, 8 days in a row) starts Wednesday, so she'll be in bed Thursday. My kids go with their mom to their great aunt's cabin at The Woods, WV. My dad is going out to dinner with other single-and-60 friends....

And I'm.......well, I'm going up to the nursing home for Thanksgiving lunch with my 96-year old Redskin-fan grandmother. She's the one who used to occupy my sig. She's the reason I'm a fan, and I love her with everything I'm able. I'm going cause it'll mean something to her. Her mind is actually pretty clear right now, which is awesome. So, yeah....anyone who wants to join us is welcome! lol

I probably won't eat, because the smell in there makes me about half queasious (my mom's word -- pronounced "QUEE shus.") And I attempted to eat the slice of tannish-colored meat up there last year without success. I'll tell her I'm happy with a cup of coffee, and great company.

I'll be back here in time to watch the game, and hang out with the other ne'er-do-wells in chat. And I will be bringing home Mickey D's for Thanksgiving dinner....happily. It's the most American and simple (sorry for the redundancy) thing to do. And besides that, when I was in high school, I worked at Mickey D's on two Thanksgiving days. They were miserable, massively busy, and a colossal pain the ass, quite frankly.

I'm looking forward to thanking the counterperson for being there.

I know, I know. :violin: :laugh:

My buddy made Stuffing Muffins last year that were phenomenal.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the traditional accouterments on Thanksgiving - green bean casserole being the primary one I dislike. We're going to a friend's house, so I'm not sure what to expect. Apparently his mom is a fantastic cook, but that's what most people say about their mom, so who knows? Either way, I'm very thankful for friends that invite you over to their houses for the holidays.

My buddy made Stuffing Muffins last year that were phenomenal.

My son has done this for past couple years. Works great, as helps in portion control.

Boone, have you ever butterflied one? I saw this done and looked interesting. My son is going to butterfly the bird. Have couple bricks wrapped up and ready to go.

Turkey cooked on the grill and sausage stuffing. That is all that matters :)

Oh, and hopefully pumpkin pie!

'm nervous about the Skins playing.

Yea this is really effing up my normal Thanksgiving routine of waking up, helping mom cook, stuffing my face and laughing with friends and family, then passing out on the couch for a few hours before making a turkey sandwich and calling it a night.

Have thought about butterflying one but never done it...may consider that though :)

Thinking about this as an appetizer...eggrolls with turkey, stuffing, and a dab of cranberry sauce for sweetness...what do my foodie brothers think - would that 'work' ?

Turkey – Butterball, 17.5 pounds
Cornbread Sage Dressing with Giblet Gravy
Sweet Potato Casserole with Toasted Marshmallow Topping
Collards with Ham Hocks
Cranberry Sauce (made from locally grown cranberries that were just harvested from the bogs)
Sour Cream and Chives Mashed Potatoes
Field Peas
Congealed Cranberry Salad (again, locally grown cranberries)
Sour Dough Rolls
Chocolate Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Tea
Birch Beer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.