• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What If It's Briles?

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I know the reasons we shouldn't even consider Art Briles as our next head coach. It will appear as if we are appeasing our young ego-maniac QB. Briles is old. Briles doesn't use an offensive play book. Briles would be Spurrier II. Briles just signed an extension and won't leave Baylor. Etc...

But it could happen despite all that. How LIKELY is a Briles hire? I don't know. But it's probably worth looking behind the parroted 'conventional wisdom' at what he might bring to the table were Briles to be given the job. Pretty excellent effort at selling Briles as the next head coach from an ES member here:

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES! - The Stadium - Extremeskins

I don't know how I'd feel if Briles turns out to be the guy. It would definitely be the riskiest of choices, but having had the safest of choices blow up in our faces, maybe it's time for a little risk taking? Many of the same negatives attached to Briles were voiced when the Eagles hired Chip Kelly. While it's too early to say he's a long-term success in the NFL, it's hard to argue with what he's accomplished so far. And Briles is a bigger innovator and even more dynamic coach than Kelly is...

Just curious how you all would react if Briles were to arise as the favorite to get the job?

I'm about the furthest from being educated on coaches and systems. My gut reaction would be that a 23 year old is running our franchise. I would delete my positive thread and probably spend the reset of my days in a corner, in the fetal position, muttering nonsensical expressions with an occasional hail-to-the-redskins in between.

I'm about the furthest from being educated on coaches and systems. My gut reaction would be that a 23 year old is running our franchise. I would delete my positive thread and probably spend the reset of my days in a corner, in the fetal position, muttering nonsensical expressions with an occasional hail-to-the-redskins in between.

Huh. I think I might vote yes now.

I'd support any hc choice if the structure allows him to succeed and break this chain of awfulness. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say who could do that and who couldn't. I just know this crap play must stop.

On a side note, an ES thread.....ewwwwwwww! Lol just teasing.

What do we have to lose?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Woo!

I don't want a retread NFL head coach. No thanks. I want an innovator. I see two ways to get this. Either an up an coming coordinator or a college coach. There's enough supporting evidence now that the spread Is viable in the NFL. Briles is a winner. He appears to be a leader. It's a coin flip with a new coach. Coordinators and new hires from the college ranks can fail with equal aplomb. I think Briles makes sense. I would consider it a good calculated risk. The only negative IMO is how the locker room responds. If Briles carries himself as he appears to, this would be a non issue. Don't care at all what the media has to say about it. Just put your head down and plow forward. Winning cures all ills. No decision this team makes will be painted in a positive light until the W column starts filling in.

pass.

number one QB problem? can't read defenses.

solution? bring in coach who can't teach, much less scheme, reading defenses? won't work in NFL.

I knew this discussion was going to surface sooner or later. not going to happen s not worrying about it.

The lack of a playbook brings back memories of Spurrier and I don't want to go there again. I prefer someone with NFL experience and younger.

If he does get the job...I will get in line and support him 110%.

I don't want a retread NFL head coach. No thanks. I want an innovator. .

Innovator! That is the word that keeps ringing in my ears as I think about our next head coach. That is why Bill Cowher and others don't strike my fancy. I do not know enough about Briles to make an educated decision, but I have a feeling he is not the answer in Washington.

I'd take a year off, watch us go 2-14, and come back two weeks before we draft Winston.

I don't want a retread NFL head coach. No thanks. I want an innovator.

Innovator! That is the word that keeps ringing in my ears as I think about our next head coach. That is why Bill Cowher and others don't strike my fancy. I do not know enough about Briles to make an educated decision, but I have a feeling he is not the answer in Washington.

Here's an idea.
How about a coach, that players love to play for.....A coach that players respect.
Considering how SO MANY of our previous coaches failed, primarily because the players quit on their HC.

But Fear, did you see all the support for Shanahan the last few days?

Briles is unhire-able for the Skins. Huge PR nightmare. I don't know how you convince free agents the inmates aren't running the asylum at that point, much less other coaches for his staff. I also don't notice any other teams standing in line to hire him so I'm not sure why the Redskins should, solely because he was our most expensive assets college coach. Makes no sense.

I'd be good with it. While his injury had a big role in our dismal season, we used Roberts natural skills last season, and we were on roll. This season, we tried to use conventional wisdom, and we looked like monkey's screwing a football.

I looked at that thread link (complete with the outright trolling by that GHH fella) and all I could think of was....

If we had never have drafted RG3, no one on that board or this one would know who Art Briles is. Well, maybe some Baylor Alum but would they be around if RG3 wasn't here?

Secondly, all this praise and talk about Briles' attitude and philosophy...isn't that the same type of praise Spurrier got before we hired him?

Hell everyone was raving about Spurrier's philosophy coming from Sun Tzu and the Art of War....even posting excerpts of that book.

Art Briles wants to score on every play? So did the OBC. REMEMBER OSAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now with alot of Skins fans talking about getting younger,the future and long term approach...they want to hire a 58 yr old with no nfl experience and bring him on board this team with a reputation of being unstable,with a new front office structure in place, that no one has a clue as to if it will work or not.

Sound reasonable... :dizzy2:

I guess if they brought in Briles, I'd resign myself to the fact that we are the NFC's Cleveland Browns and ratchet up my alcohol intake to that of diehard Browns fans.

But don't worry....I'll be safe. I know where the key hangs to my cell and will let myself in, just like Otis.

That's the same argument the guys that didn't want to give Pete Carroll a 2nd chance made Diesel. Oops. You could use Spurrier as a viable argument to never give a college coach the reins ever again. I get it. I DO remember Osaka. And Danny Wuerffel - especially Danny Wuerffel! But that experience doesn't necessary mean any college coach we hire is destined to fail. We've tried about every which way to find a successful long-term coach and nearly every one of them has failed. If we're going to use 'past hiring experience' as a standard, we may have to hire a high school coach or former player since those are the only routes we haven't tried. There are probably a lot of reasons why a Briles hire would be the riskiest, but they aren't proof he would fail and don't necessarily doom him to being Spurrier II.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.