• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What’s your favorite ‘Comfort Food’?

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Define it however you like. Maybe they are dishes that you grew up with, your Mom or Dad made just for you? Maybe it’s a favorite of yours? Or maybe its a dish that just makes you feel good to prepare and eat when you’ve had a bad day or week?

What are some of your favorite ‘Comfort Foods’?

Last edited:
Pot roast and meatloaf both with mashed potatoes.

A couple of mine (purely because they were staples of my mom’s cooking)... tuna casserole and ‘soup beans’ (pintos). We’d put a big healing spoon of pickled relish in the beans and eat them with cornbread.

Lasagna & biscuits w/gravy

Can destroy a plate of either any time of the day or year

edit: Honorable mention to chicken noodle soup

Last edited:
right now the sausage/kale/potato/onion cream soup my wife made is doing that job. we have 8 containers in the freezer for winter, too :)

My mom was a great Southern cook.

Biscuits and sausage gravy
Peach cobbler
Classic pound cake
Fried chicken(better than kfc)

Most comfort foods for me are dishes that I learned to love as a kid growing up. But there are a couple things my wife made over the 30+ years of our marriage that I feel have risen to that level and that I periodically crave. I made one of those last evening while she was at work.

As a boy raised by my two Kentuckian parents, chicken livers were definitely on the menu, usually deep battered and fried. I got to like them. But my wife does something different with them that is one of my favorites.

She takes 1/2 pound of bacon or so and fries it up. Once the bacon is mostly done, she pulls it out of the electric skillet and gets rid of most of the bacon grease. She will then saute some garlic in the remaining bacon grease, and add the chicken livers (salted and peppered) and cook them until they are well done. While they are cooking, she breaks the bacon up into 1 inch pieces. To the chicken livers, she adds a 1/4 cup of cooking sherry, a cup or two of chicken stock, some italian seasoning, the bacon pieces, and a jar of green olives w/pimentos. She simmers covered for 15-20 minutes.

Served over rice and it is like crack (to me).

Oh way too many to list but love Cracker Barrel's Roast Beef, Carrots, Green Beans, Hashbrown Casserole

No idea what that is but imma find out :)

No idea what that is but imma find out :)
It's one of our favorites for the crock-pot. I follow the recipe, below, to the letter except I use a couple more pats of butter. Since it's just the two of us, I'll vacuum seal, freeze then reheat in the sous-vide. You don't need a sous-vide...it can be reheated in a pot of simmering water for an hour if thawed......or 1 1/2 hours if frozen. We usually know what we'll eat a day, or so in advance, so I thaw it first so it reheats faster. I also freeze the broth....what I don't use to pour over the roast, I use in chili or with leftover brisket.

It's one of our favorites for the crock-pot. I follow the recipe, below, to the letter except I use a couple more pats of butter. Since it's just the two of us, I'll vacuum seal, freeze then reheat in the sous-vide. You don't need a sous-vide...it can be reheated in a pot of simmering water for an hour if thawed......or 1 1/2 hours if frozen. We usually know what we'll eat a day, or so in advance, so I thaw it first so it reheats faster. I also freeze the broth....what I don't use to pour over the roast, I use in chili or with leftover brisket.

Throw it on a tortilla with some Taco seasoning too...

San Fran ‘dolphining’ the Eagles. I’d like seconds, please. 😋

Giving this a try today. Got a nice 3+ lb chuck roast. Only tweaks I am making are, I added some of the pepperoncini juice to the crockpot, and 3 hours in, I'm going to add some chopped celery, some baby carrots, sliced mushrooms, and some onion. Plan on serving over rice.

Skinsfan1311 - do you find you have to pull the chuck roast out and shred it or does it fall apart on it's own?

Tomato soup with grilled cheese. Nothing fancy either, mind you. The soup should be Campbell's and the grilled cheese made with white bread and Velveeta cheese.

Instant comfort.

Giving this a try today. Got a nice 3+ lb chuck roast. Only tweaks I am making are, I added some of the pepperoncini juice to the crockpot, and 3 hours in, I'm going to add some chopped celery, some baby carrots, sliced mushrooms, and some onion. Plan on serving over rice.

Skinsfan1311 - do you find you have to pull the chuck roast out and shred it or does it fall apart on it's own?
Nice!
I just follow the recipe to the letter, except for a few extra pats of butter. When there's 1 1/2 hrs left, I toss in some baby taters.
I pull chunks of it out of the crock-pot with tongs and it's very tender. It does fall apart if you're not careful.

This came out great, and the vegetable additions were nice too. I didn't do potatoes because I was serving it over rice. Super tasty though and you can't get much simpler.

Not 'comfort foods' that I grew up on, but I'm sure some would consider them in this category. Doing chicken cordon bleu and and homemade mac and cheese. Cause Monday and I have nothing better to do :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.