• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Well here we go, Defensive changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'll say one thing for Pettine. He's not shy about calling specific players stupid. Could make for an interesting locker room.

I think "intelligence" in this case is referring to whether one is versed in the defense or not.

Imagine that? Simplifying things for the new guy so he can play right away.

Novel concept for the Park.........

I think "intelligence" in this case is referring to whether one is versed in the defense or not.

Imagine that? Simplifying things for the new guy so he can play right away.

Novel concept for the Park.........

Well, maybe brother. But this language is pretty easy to interpret otherwise, isn't it? I'm not trying to over-react or judge the man here, it just jumped out at me big time. If it was me he was talking about, or my son, say ... I'm pretty sure I'd be in WTF? mode. :)

"One of the rules we had was you never wanted to be limited by your least intelligent player," Pettine says. "You have to do it that way because if you have a guy that can be elite but he can't be cluttered, like when we got Kris Jenkins in New York for a limited amount of time -- when we had him, we didn't want him thinking. We would build it like, 'Hey, line up here and go, and we'll make it right around you.' We'll give the thinking to the guys around you. We've put some of the heavy-lifting thinking on a fewer number of players."

Is the DC position or hire governed by the Rooney Rule? Just curious, since the Browns jumped on Greg Williams, but never heard of any other interviews.

Is the DC position or hire governed by the Rooney Rule? Just curious, since the Browns jumped on Greg Williams, but never heard of any other interviews.

Pretty sure it's head coaches only.

I think they've added GM/FO to the Rooney rule too.

I heard it stated somewhere that it's not officially in the written rules, but it's one of those unwritten rules.... you know, the type we tend to get screwed on. I'd have somebody interview to cover our ass. Unless of course, you trust Mara and the league office to let it slide......

Bill Musgrave will be a Free Agent.
So, if McVay gets a HC job, and Musgrave does not, we need to go hard after Muss for our open OC position.

And speaking of assistants, are there any other assistants on the Skins, that we're in danger of having them lured to another team ?
We should feel extremely fortunate if Matt Cavanaugh continues to stay with the team, and doesn't get promoted elsewhere.

Last edited:
Bill Musgrave will be a Free Agent.
So, if McVay gets a HC job, and Musgrave does not, we need to go hard after Muss for our open OC position.

And speaking of assistants, are there any other assistants on the Skins, that we're in danger of having them lured to another team ?
We should feel extremely fortunate if Matt Cavanaugh continues to stay with the team, and doesn't get promoted elsewhere.

if he is under contract the team can refuse to let him interview for any promotion except head coach

From John Keim
Former Jacksonville coach Gus Bradley is meeting with the Redskins today about their vacant defensive coordinator position, a source said. Bradley has ties to Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan from their time together in Seattle and he also wo

"Former Jacksonville coach Gus Bradley is meeting with the Redskins today about their vacant defensive coordinator position, a source said. Bradley has ties to Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan from their time together in Seattle and he also worked on Tampa's staff with Redskins coach Jay Gruden. Redskins president Bruce Allen also was in Tampa at the time. The Redskins interviewed Mike Pettine earlier this week and have requested permission to interview Carolina secondary coach Steve Wilks."

The Bills have hired McDermott as their HC. Word is if Wilks doesn't get Rams HC job then he will be the DC for Panthers.

I think I'd prefer Pettine over this guy... I think Bradley was in the right place at the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I noticed this article last weekend and took the last couple of days or so to talk with friends and family in the Seattle area. They pretty much echoed what was in this article. Their reactions to him being hired by the Jags were similar to when we hired Zorn - dumbfounded.

Every week, we ran the same defense," said Ramsey"We never changed defenses. We never changed plays. What we were running on first down at the beginning of the season we were running on first down at the end of the season. What we were running on second down, third down, same. Nothing ever changed."

Sounds like Bradley made these Jags players feel like they were bangin their head against the wall.
Sounds too much like another guy named Gus.

:wall:

Based on the limited intel we can get on the candidates, I'd have to agree the list so far doesn't inspire much. I haven't done a lot of research on my own, but my sense is that Pettine has the best resume in terms of producing statistically sound defenses.

If Wade Phillips becomes a serious candidate, that all changes, but I suspect we won't see any movement on that until after the Rams and 49ers decide on head coaches. Word seems to be that if Baby Sean gets either gig he'd probably take our TE coach, Son of Wade, with him, and be a very attractive option for Daddy. The Rams particularly, who seem at least a couple of years ahead of us in terms of actual defensive personnel.

This could all come to a head sooner than later, but it may well be we're churning this story for a while ...

Why don't we just promote Wes from TE coach, to DC?

Under the condition that HE hire his Dad as a consultant. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.