• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Well here we go, Defensive changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting.

I agree that picking for scheme is important. I trust teams like NE and Pittsburgh have their own draft/points systems, etc.

What is curious is how NE almost never takes receivers high in Round 1 or 2.

With Brady the temptation might be to get him some track athletes to throw to. But invariably they sign free agents like Hogan or LaFell at the mid-range or work out trades for a Welker, etc.

They drafted Edelman and Mitchell. But the only high pick I recall was Dobson, who turned out to be a bust.

I suppose the bust factor for receivers is perceived by many to be higher than some other positions, so Belichick isn't going to spend many picks there.

He seems to really like taking OL as well as LB and DBs, often moving out of Round 1 and bringing in 3 or 4 guys in those mid rounds 3-5.

While some miss he hits on a lot of them too.

And in those hits he has a guy on a really cheap contract for 3-4 years.

I'm hoping out of the contenders already named that Steve Wilks ends up with us. Just seems he's the safest pick out of those who were named.

How is he the safest pick?

He's one of the only guys mentioned that doesn't have previous coordinator experience.

Position coach to coordinator is a gamble.

With a lot on the line after firing Haslett and Barry I don't see the Redskins hiring an unknown.

Unconfirmed report of Mike Pettine at Redskins Park right now. Doc Walker reported it on local radio according to a fan.

He could be there for the DC job or possibly as a position coach.

You think they're going to interview position coaches prior to hiring a DC??? Can't imagine they would do that...

Unconfirmed report of Mike Pettine at Redskins Park right now. Doc Walker reported it on local radio according to a fan.

He could be there for the DC job or possibly as a position coach.

Pettine took a 2009 Jets defense over from Bob Sutton and made them a league best unit his first year in 2009 (tops in the NFL in pts allowed and passing defense, 8th best in rushing yards allowed). They were 6th overall his 2nd season. And then they declined somewhat (although his Jets pass defense was, in 5 straight seasons, never ranked lower than 6th in the league). In his single year as Bills DC, they were ranked 20th overall (4th in passing yds) but hard to judge just one season.

Don't know much more about him other than that his HC career was brief in Cleveland (as are most). He certainly has a better resume than Joe Barry did. I agree with Bulldog though - we have to hire a 'sure bet' this time around. Not sure if he's that or not.

How is he the safest pick?

He's one of the only guys mentioned that doesn't have previous coordinator experience.

Position coach to coordinator is a gamble.

With a lot on the line after firing Haslett and Barry I don't see the Redskins hiring an unknown.

Out of everyone mentioned he's the safest pick looking at his resume. Every place he's had better quarter of the league pass defense. Going theproven route got us shit in Haz and Berry. Also, Rivera knows well enough to stamp the "assistant head coach" on there to kinda hide him.

Carolina Panthers: Steve Wilks

Confirmed.

Washington Redskins@Redskins
Redskins interviewed long-time @NFL coach Mike Pettine for defensive coordinator position today.

Interesting that with most hires for HC and the like the Redskins pick from among the 'hot' candidates (Jay Gruden in 2014, Bill Callahan in 2015 for OL), but for the defensive coordinator position we seem to reach for guys that no one else has on their radar screen.

You can go back as far as Shanahan to find a guy in Haslett that looked to be out of the league but got a reprieve from us.

Then there was the Joe Barry hire. That came out of left field.

Hopefully, we are just doing our due diligence on Pettine.

I don't like the idea of going out and grabbing a guy that has been out of the league, sitting on the sidelines as Haslett was.

I prefer selecting a DC that is 'plugged in' to what has been happening in the NFL this year and is a bit 'fresher'.

Going back to 2009 and 2010 to judge a candidate to me shows what may be wrong with the candidate.

Question is, are we approaching higher tier guys and they just have no interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine that even higher tier guys that have no real interest would interview anyway, if only for leverage.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mike Pettine spent five years as a defensive coordinator for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jets?src=hash">#Jets</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a><br><br>2009: 1st<br>2010: 3rd<br>2011: 5th<br>2012: 8th<br>2013: 10th</p>— Fifty Gut (@FiftyGutBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/FiftyGutBlog/status/818573316810096640">January 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Isn't this what the fanbase wants? Someone with a good track record?

Nice start to the interview process,IMO.....

Chad Ryan@ChadwikoRCC
I'm told to expect Steve Wilks DC interview with the #Redskins to take place tomorrow (Tuesday 10 Jan).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mike Pettine spent five years as a defensive coordinator for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jets?src=hash">#Jets</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a><br><br>2009: 1st<br>2010: 3rd<br>2011: 5th<br>2012: 8th<br>2013: 10th</p>— Fifty Gut (@FiftyGutBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/FiftyGutBlog/status/818573316810096640">January 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Isn't this what the fanbase wants? Someone with a good track record?

Nice start to the interview process,IMO.....

Although there's a trend line there... roughly 2 years places further down per year...

In 2017 he should have a ranking defense of... 18th?

Which is still better than we've had lately! Lol
;)

What we really need to do is take a look a) at the talent he had those years. Did players leave? Age? Decline?

And what the defended were that ranked higher and why?

Fun times!!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who are the "sure bet" candidates we should be interested in? I don't know much about DC's in the league.

Keim on Pettine, I particularly liked one of Pettine's rules regarding limitations (see remark in bold :))
Kinda like in the 'Replacements'..... see ball..... get ball!

The Washington Redskins interviewed a former head coach for the vacant defensive coordinator's job, one who would come with no ties to the organization.

This is one of the ways he likes to build a defense, related from an informative story in Sports Illustrated about him:

"One of the rules we had was you never wanted to be limited by your least intelligent player," Pettine says. "You have to do it that way because if you have a guy that can be elite but he can't be cluttered, like when we got Kris Jenkins in New York for a limited amount of time -- when we had him, we didn't want him thinking. We would build it like, 'Hey, line up here and go, and we'll make it right around you.' We'll give the thinking to the guys around you. We've put some of the heavy-lifting thinking on a fewer number of players."
One thing that also jumped out from that story: The idea that he doesn't just teach the plays of the defense, but the actual concepts of the scheme. It allows players to change roles from game to game, but if they understand the rules of the defense it shouldn't lead to confusion. Of course, it works better with increased talent. But what the Redskins need to do is find someone who can coax more from the talent available.
Redskins interview Mike Pettine for defensive coordinator's job - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN

see ball get ball.jpg

"One of the rules we had was you never wanted to be limited by your least intelligent player," Pettine says. "You have to do it that way because if you have a guy that can be elite but he can't be cluttered, like when we got Kris Jenkins in New York for a limited amount of time -- when we had him, we didn't want him thinking. We would build it like, 'Hey, line up here and go, and we'll make it right around you.' We'll give the thinking to the guys around you. We've put some of the heavy-lifting thinking on a fewer number of players."
Well I'll say one thing for Pettine. He's not shy about calling specific players stupid. Could make for an interesting locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.