• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Well here we go, Defensive changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Scott didn't tell Jay you get fire Barry or he goes with you.

Some early speculation is Wade Phillips will be brought in, but it is early. Plus, you can't believe what Jason LaCan'tgetitright says.

Official press release....

For Immediate Release
January 5, 2017

REDSKINS WILL NOT RETAIN FOUR ASSISTANT COACHES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that the following assistant coaches will not be retained:

Robb Akey
Joe Barry
Mike Clark
Perry Fewell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if Scott didn't tell Jay you get fire Barry or he goes with you.

Some early speculation is Wade Phillips will be brought in, but it is early. Plus, you can't believe what Jason LaCan'tgetitright says.

I think everything we've seen from Gruden indicates he's not a 'company' or 'yes man' and isn't going to be dictated to do anything he doesn't agree with. Look at how he addressed the RG3 situation - there's no way he didn't drive that call and that it wasn't a popular one with the owner.

Gruden is no ****y.

I don't know to what extent Barry was all Gruden's idea but am guessing there will be more 'collaboration' as to who the next DC is regardless.

Scot said when he walked through the door that he believed the head coach should hire all the assistants. And like Boone, I think that's what happened here.

And, no thanks, to Son of Bum.

I thought by midseason the writing was on the wall for Barry in Gruden's eyes.

On-sides kicks, fake punts, risky 4th down gambles ...

Comments he'd make answering questions about those after games, hinting at our inability to even slow decent offenses down ...

The look on the man's face on the sidelines watching his D backpedal after our scoring drives ...

It just seemed inevitable from about midseason on to me. Again, I hate to revel in another's misfortune, but having watched our defense look confused, disorganized, and reactionary for two years, my biggest hope for this offseason was that the coaches and front office saw the same things and understood we were getting less than the sum of the parts we DO have on that side of the ball.

We need more good players, absolutely. But we also need someone who can craft the players we DO have into a cohesive unit that plays its collective ass off every week. We've too often been less than the sum of our parts under Joe Barry.

Excited for the first time since after the Packers game. :)

Looking good.

I know we don't want to rush things, but I want whoever the new guy is to have as much time as possible to go over the roster, determine scheme, and assist in targeting available free agents.

Might need to have Murphy and Kerrigan beef up if they are going to be DE's in a 4-3.

I assume this is why they moved so fast.

Enables them to cherry pick before everyone signs elsewhere, enables them to get staff in place and evaluate players and scheme prior to the draft and FA.

Smart move. Glad this has been done.

He hasn't been fired, has he?

he will coach the jets next year owner already confirmed it and just said as long as the team improves Todd will get a 4th year

I want the team to choose wisely here, & hopefully scrap this 3-4 hybrid whatever. Our defense resembles something like if these 2 got together and horridly consummated a child (skins D)!!!

IMG_2653.JPG

+

IMG_2654.JPG

=

Joe DingleBarry's defense

Hate to revel in another's misfortune, but ... thank you, Jay Gruden. Thank you for either deciding on your own your friend Joe Barry isn't the right man for the job, or for listening to Scot M., and agreeing he's probably right.

Either way, it's not hard to imagine there's anywhere but up to go from here:

28th total defense
19th points per game
32nd 3rd down
25th passing
24th rushing

That 3rd down stat is scary.

It was a weird year for 3rd downs.

On the Offensive side I kinda always expected them to convert no matter how long (except in the redzone). We were generally great moving the ball.

On Defense it was the opposite. We could have had them in a 3rd and 99 on their own 1yard line and I still would have expected our Defense to allow them to convert/score.

It became a game of... ok 3rd and 7? Is that enough to hold them? Ok how about 3rd and 11? No? How about 3rd and 18?

I'd say take a look at Alabama's DC. Just keep in mind that he has had better talent to coach. ;)

Wade Philips needs to be the guy. He has great defenses everywhere he goes. I doubt he gets the Broncos head coaching job and the new coach probably wants his own guys. So Phillips should be available. I want a guy who knows how to use the personnel he has to their maximum potential.

I'm not opposed to one of if not both Ryan's. I seriously doubt they're gonna get another gig anytime soon running a team. Both have had decent defenses in the past and honestly that's all we need right now is decent.

Best direction to take is proven vet coaches imho, ones that can get better production from what we have. At least until Mcluvs gets studs in place.

I imagine Scot M. has been vetting possible candidates all year. I love the idea of our having a competent GM looking hard at the landscape of potential coordinators, players already on the roster, players possibly available in FA, and of course players in the upcoming draft(s), and working with the head coach toward crafting a formula that "fits" the overall philosophy of the team for the next X years.

For the record, if we end up hiring Rob Ryan as DC, I'm going off the grid and living out my days on the Mongolian steppes.

Lol why wouldn't you guys want a Ryan with the team?

As heartening as it us to know coaches that presided over this year's defensive travesty will be gone, I have to admit that I'm a little bummed at yet on there rebuild in one side of the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.