• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Weight Loss and Diet

I had some liver #’s that came back on lab work that were worrisome. Completely revamped my diet with the main factors being cutting out energy drinks and sodas. Paying attention to calories and minimizing portions has done a lot. Was 235lbs in September and now weigh 195lbs.

Sugar may taste good but it is horrible for you

I need to drop some pounds but love my pasta, bread, and adult beverages. Could give up adult beverages for awhile. The biggest problem is with all that is going on we've got a good supply of pasta in case we had to do a 14 day quarantine.

I wish there was an easier way to lose weight

Energy drinks are very bad for you from everything I've read. I will very occasionally drink a Red Bull, but I've heard a lot of stories of otherwise healthy people going into liver failure because they drank multiple 'energy drinks' a day.

Fortunately, while I like pasta, I have never been a big carb guy. I'm full on doing keto right now. Trying to keep my calories to 1200 a day and my carbs no more than 25 gms/day. That's not a lot of food no matter what you are eating. I've dropped about 8-10 lbs so far but my goal is 30 lbs more - so I have a long way to go. Got back on the bike last weekend and gonna start riding around an abandoned mall after work a couple evenings a week.

It's not easy as you get older. I have no problems whatsoever until I hit my 50's. Since then, the struggle is real.

It's taken me 7 years but I'm down almost to where I want to be. I was at 275 and now am at 179, want to get to 175, should happen soon. I know if I stopped drinking I could do it in a heartbeat but that's no fun...

That’s impressive. My goal is to stop see-sawing. Consistently exercising and being more disciplined with food choices are the keys for me. I have plenty of discipline, I just need to focus more on the long haul vs. cycles of extreme deprivation and debauchery :)

Yep, I went in levels. The first was the biggest drop, from 275 to 205. But then after a while I would creep back to 215 so then I got down to 195 and so on. I stayed at 190 for a long time until I was back to 194 consistently in December, which was my cue to pull it together.

It's been harder with the gyms closing but we bought a treadmill and an elliptical and found some Amazon videos that we like fairly well. When the weather gets a little warmer we'll go back to running a few miles instead of the equipment I would imagine.

Yep, I went in levels. The first was the biggest drop, from 275 to 205. But then after a while I would creep back to 215 so then I got down to 195 and so on. I stayed at 190 for a long time until I was back to 194 consistently in December, which was my cue to pull it together.

It's been harder with the gyms closing but we bought a treadmill and an elliptical and found some Amazon videos that we like fairly well. When the weather gets a little warmer we'll go back to running a few miles instead of the equipment I would imagine.

Check out my friend Jerry Teixeria’s youtube channel for at home bodyweight training while gyms are closed-

So what’s your rule of thumb with how many carbs you take in

I keep carbs under a 100 grams a day made up of vegetables and fruit. I avoid rice, white potatoes, and pasta etc along with all processed ‘foods’.

You’re avoiding food is everything I love lol

I hear ya tho, need to get something going myself.

You’re avoiding food is everything I love lol

I hear ya tho, need to get something going myself.

I understand. Me, too.

It‘s just a priority for me not to look and feel like the typical American. The food cabal has clearly won the war against health here. 😎

(You might want to send a message to Elephant and ask him about his experience and journey. I have been working with him (Brian) for about 6 months now.)

Anyone still doing a keto diet?
I do not because I don't need weight loss. I eat for dental preservation and periodontal management. The thought of weight and health occupied approximately 0 minutes of my mind for most of my life.

I'm the rare male who is both sedentary(too much so) and a lightweight at 6ft, 120lbs.

Now, my type of diet does essentially leads consumption down the road of low carb. But I'm not aiming for ketosis. The general theme is to avoid bad teeth food but there is the secondary goal of getting a complete and comprehensive micronutrient intake as well.

The aim is to reduce the consumption of carb-based foods and without cravings or binging on the litany of high-carb and sugary foods all too common in the world. Starches and sweets are a primary cause of tooth and gum issues. I eat some berries to accommodate the sugar cravings but the fiber ultimately limits the amount of berries I eat, which is about 7-8 strawberries. I cut down the berries to reduce the amount of chewing and squeezing needed before swallowing.

One sample list of foods I eat for an entire day could be
8 strawberries
1 can of sardines
4-8oz of cheddar cheese
Some lettuce or celery
3 strips of uncured bacon and/or 1 pork chop

This can vary with the amount of physical activity I do. The above is on sedentary days for myself.

I get very full very quickly since nearly all of the foods a rather boring and bland to my taste buds.

Each food listed above are very specific and chosen with specific benefits in mind. The sardine was chosen because they are low on the food chain and thus low in mercury accumulation while having all the good "oils" that on unsaturated; I also only buy those with water or extra virgin olive oil. Anchovy is also good, but you'd probably have to go to an ethnic supermarket to get them like Chinese, Korean, etc. Strawberries because they have a good wide profile of nutrients for the "cost" of having sugar. Cheddar causes salivation for a longer period, causing the mouth to have a basic pH. Lettuce/celery because fibrous veggies clean the teeth naturally. The red meat just for the saturated fat.

There is coconut "milk" that can fit in a low carb diet as well. I hate the taste of coconut though, so my willingness to consume that is very limited.

Chinese eat extra firm tofu and celery with spices, which is a compatible food. haha.
Liver also would work and is nutrient dense.

I cracked yesterday, mainly because I started a course of antibiotics and thus I have a little buffer to clear out some old stuff. So I'm just finishing off a pack of Villa Maria macaroni and some Farfalle pasta. But it's temporary.

Out of all the foods, the sardine+EVOO is the one I have never eaten before, and I find the most likely contributor to my recent increase in mental clarity even under severe sleep deprivation after adding it to the diet. Before, I was eating mostly meats and cheese with no fruit or sardines. I added fruit before sardines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.