• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

We finally draft our Brady, Manning, Brees, Romo and we use him like Tebow?

Go Deep

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm growing sick and tired of this bush league approach with RG3 because Shanahan has a hardon for running the ball and he's hell bent on showing everyone how well he can draw up a play.

He's playing a game of russian roulette and it's only a matter of time till RG3 gets carried off the field. The runs will come naturally off the passing game and he will be in 10 times better position to defend himself. You're trading smart, accuracy, and a laser arm in exchange for 5 to 10 yard runs that's going to get him killed.

Shanahan can also take that play action boot left and throw it in the trash while he's at it. That has to be the worst play ever where you're purposely putting your Qb in the worst possible position to throw the ball.

Everyone wants to talk about our D blowing the last 2 games and i say it's Shanahan screwing around and wasting plays just so he can prove to everybody he can run the ball. Other than the New Orleans game our offense has been playing catch up the whole game because of this.

Some will say, but we're the highest scoring offense, totally frogetting that our D has 2 TD's and set up a thrid at the 1 yard line at New Orleans.

We're a team with holes and we can't go out and play like we don't have any. Let's take the reigns off RG3. He's our only chance of having a winning season; it's not wether Alfred Morris can get a 100 yds per game also.

While I get your sentiment, I would like to say that our quarterback is not a useless gimmick who gets by on popularity and luck.

While I get your sentiment, I would like to say that our quarterback is not a useless gimmick who gets by on popularity and luck.

I'd like to add to this that Tebow can't throw a ball like Griffin in his dreams much less on the field.

He's playing a game of russian roulette and it's only a matter of time till RG3 gets carried off the field.

Which is why Shanny's move to draft Cousins is pure Genius, and not ridiculous as some seem to think. Having Cousins back there means we can be a little more bold with RG3' runs, and reckless shall we say, and less paranoid or overly cautious

Which is why Shanny's move to draft Cousins is pure Genius, and not ridiculous as some seem to think. Having Cousins back there means we can be a little more bold with RG3' runs, and reckless shall we say, and less paranoid or overly cautious

I was talking to a guy at the game last week that said something similar but hhen continued to go on about Shanny hoping to be able to put Cousins in at some point to shop him around. I was like WFT? I've told plenty of people I'm hopeful to fairly confident about Cousins coming in even if it was a season ending injury, but to this whacko was taking it a little too far. Wasn't you was it?? :psych:

THat's great... a little dated but great!

So, your name isn't Kevin anymore ? :)

I know if I was the QB I wouldnt want to throw out of a pocket on this team. he needs to roll, run sprint outs, throw off 1,2,3 step drops and see a lot more max pro.

There's the answer the OP : the offensive line.
Credit Shanahan for not only adjusting to RG3's skills and strengths, but also adjusting to the O-LINE'S WEAKNESS !!

this is what happens when a team doesn't consistently prioritize the most important positions, the ones that are really key to competing.

the team got it right in taking Kerrigan for the pass rush last year. they got it right in drafting a quarterback who can elevate the club with his own ability, not merely a game manager. and to be fair, the team tried to get it right with the Trent Williams pick in 2010 to secure a left tackle.

but the team has consistently gone cheap on the rest of the OL and it has made little investment in the defensive backfield.

one could ask if Josh LeRibeus was a good pick in Round 3 with a single season in college of above average play? perhaps there was an OT or OG that had demonstrated more consistent play that could have been a better bet to be a contributor?

yes, London Fletcher is 37 and yes the team needs backups at each position. but after the investments in Kerrigan, Orakpo, Perry Riley, etc. perhaps that #4 for Keenan Robinson could have been spent on a cornerback?

in my mind if you have a great quarterback or at least one with the skills to be a great quarterback, you can often get by with solid but unspectacular wide receivers.

to me the Redskins put too much emphasis on the WR position in free agency. With the salary cap penalty, that would have been a warning shot that with a limited budget we needed to concentrate some of the resources we were planning on spending at WR at other spots such as the OL and CB.

so, after taking Pierre Garcon I would have walked away from the table and started to concentrate on OT and OG that I might be able to work out a deal with, even if that meant backloading a contract to get a solid player in that could help keep Griffin upright.

I put Josh Morgan in the 'just say no' category. He's not an established playmaker. He missed almost the entire 2011 season with injuries. And the 49ers are actively seeking to upgrade their WR corps in the offseason, another signal that SF didn't think Morgan was going to be more than a complementary player.

And let's not forget that even with the penalty we were still out there in FA looking to sign Eddie Royal as well!

And as I indicated before, we signed Brandon Meriweather fairly early in free agency and gave him a $2.6M bonus. That's a lot for a safety who only started 3 games last year before being benched in Chicago and was released from New England, despite being a #1 pick there.

Seems as if he was the type of player that could be signed later on for less money.

While I agree that safety was a need, if you are looking at players that are question marks due to injury or behavior issues from previous clubs you look to get them at a discount not a premium.

Since Meriweather was waived by the Pats and released by the Bears I find it hard to believe he was sought out that early in free agency by clubs offering committed,, guaranteed money.

Especially so since he is an in-the-box safety that is average in coverage. It's the safeties that are solid in down the field coverage that are valued most.

So, that's part of the answer as to why the club is in the position of allowing Griffin to take his lumps and then some in 2012.

The team didn't adequately prepare for his arrival.

Shanahan has been here since 2010 and the OL has been a problem area EACH season.

Either the players were not ideal for the ZBS, they were injury prone, they were plain busts, or they were simply late round projects that were long shots to have an NFL career.

I cant disagree with you, BT. Was never sold on Morgan, he had a Lloyd feel to him the whole time.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Man I have been avoiding making that comparison but if it aint the truth I don't know what is.... :embarassed:

I hope we're both wrong on this one!

----------------

Our decisions drafting CB in the past 20 years has really been a huge failure for this club. That has to change. CB is the one position that they have decided to spend FA dollars on time after time after time and then changed their philosophy recently with no base talent to work with.

Here's 20 friggin yrs worth of drafting CBs... The only 3 worth a damn we couldn't keep or keep happy. Smoot came back but left in his prime for Minny. I was not in favor of paying Rogers but it should have never got that far with him. Read it and weep.

Rnd Pick Ovrl Player Pos School Year
7 6 213 Richard Crawford CB Southern Methodist 2012 - Not looking too promising
7 10 213 Brandyn Thompson CB Boise State 2011 - Whiff
3 16 80 Kevin Barnes CB Maryland 2009 -Whiff
4 25 124 Justin Tryon CB Arizona State 2008 -Whiff
1 9 9 Carlos Rogers CB Auburn 2005 Left in Prime
3 14 79 Rashad Bauman CB Oregon 2002 -Whiff
2 14 45 Fred Smoot CB Mississippi State 2001 Left in Prime
1 7 7 Champ Bailey CB Georgia 2000 Left in Prime
7 2 191 David Terrell CB Texas-El Paso 1998- got our $ 's worth
3 4 68 Darryl Pounds CB Nicholls State 1995 -Whiff
7 18 226 Scott Turner CB Illinois 1995 -Whiff
1 17 17 Tom Carter CB Notre Dame 1993 -Meh-better than 'los

Last edited:
Letting Carlos Rogers go was the single biggest CB mistake I have seen in the last five years of the Redskins.

This is not just in retrospect either, I mentioned more than once that the"'Stonehands" hate caused by dropped INTs that was endemic overlooked the fact that he was a very good tight cover corner-something we sorely need right now.

Yeah, I'm being an "I told ya so." But, and this is in retrospect, I wish we would have paid him.

Letting Carlos Rogers go was the single biggest CB mistake I have seen in the last five years of the Redskins.

This is not just in retrospect either, I mentioned more than once that the"'Stonehands" hate caused by dropped INTs that was endemic overlooked the fact that he was a very good tight cover corner-something we sorely need right now.

Yeah, I'm being an "I told ya so." But, and this is in retrospect, I wish we would have paid him.

I disagree. It wasn't "letting him go" that was the big mistake. It should have never gotten to where it was. He should have been locked up long term a long time ago. I hate him after all the animosity came about but its our fault for letting it get that far. I was one who toasted to him leaving, but that was more about his attitude than his play. Don't even get me started about how good Chris Clemons looks these days! LOL

Didn't we have Chris Clemons TWICE? Lol
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Nic Clemons? "Nic Clemons is an American football defensive tackle who is currently a free agent. He was originally signed by the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2003. He played college football at Georgia."

Bulldog is right. The Skins blow it with the oline year after year no matter who is running the team. It's mind boggling. Shoulda passed on Morgan and gone after a quality RT. It's as though they don't want to admit that Brown was a bust.

How in the world do you trade the farm for a guy like RG3, and then not even try to protect him?

Nic Clemons? "Nic Clemons is an American football defensive tackle who is currently a free agent. He was originally signed by the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2003. He played college football at Georgia."

That's him. Just couldn't remember his first name. Thought is was "Nate" at first.
Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Looking at his career stats, he unfortunately is not as talented as his brother.

Last edited:
Well, the protection was better today and Kyle took 80% of the option out of the playlist for the game so there was an active move to protect RGIII more.

You could also see that Paulsen and Paul were kept in to chip on the outside rushers on some critical passing downs this week.

How in the world do you trade the farm for a guy like RG3, and then not even try to protect him?

I actually totally understand the sentiment.

But a better (and more sincere) question might be - how in the world do you trade the farm for a guy like RG3, and still find a way to protect him?

I think the Redskins have missed some opportunities on that front, but it's not just about what they wanted to do. It's also about what they could do given resources available and external influences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.