• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Wash Post--Dungy: RG3 Is Not Healthy

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
This is interesting due mainly to the source of the comments. Dungy is pretty good, and has been one of RG3's strongest supporters since day 1.

We really need a victory next week.

Dungy, on Robert Griffin III saying he’s the cause of their slow starts: “He has been the cause of the slow starts. He’s a pocket player now. They’re putting a lot more pressure on him, because they don’t fear him getting out of the pocket.”

Dungy: ”They have actually changed the offense, not doing what they did last year. If I were Mike Shanahan sitting there at 0-2, I would go into Daniel Snyder right now and say, 'Our quarterback is not healthy. In the long run, we may be better off going with Kirk Cousins.’ ”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/09/15/dungy-rgiii-is-not-healthy/

Yeah thats the thing I was worried about this whole time. I bet Snyder and his "marketing department" expect RG3 to play even though it's obvious to everybody that he's not ready and the OL+RG3 can't handle this basic offense.

Watch RG3 get injured trying to play scared football and Cousins step in and start winning games.

What would Washington be without a quarterback controversy? :)

The thing that throws me off about his statement is the use of long run.

It's very possible that Cousins would have done better had he played in the first two games. He might even do better in the next two games.

But long run? I'm not sure what he means by that. I'm assuming he just means for the rest of this season.

What? Changing qbs won't fix the pitiful play by the Defense and special teams.

What? Changing qbs won't fix the pitiful play by the Defense and special teams.

Well a few more first downs could help the defense.

The real question is if it's better to let him play through this to shake the rust off, or if it would benefit everyone more to rest that knee a few more weeks, and bring him back after the bye.

What we don't want is to drop the next two games, RG3 showing little improvement, and then pull him after the bye. That would probably be the worst decision. He should be better after the bye week.

So play him now, and possibly concede the next game or two, or bench him now to give the team the best chance of winning the next two, then bring him in after the bye?

At this point, you have to stick with him. The time to sit him was before the season started, which would have taken incredible intestinal fortitude and Shanny standing up to Danny. Not sure that was realistic. But at this point, we need to relax and let him come back all the way. These games are miserable for us, but they are necessary for his regaining confidence and command of the offense.

People forget this, but Adrian Peterson didn't set the world on fire immediately last year. It took a few weeks for him to get rolling. At this point we do a lot more harm than good by pulling Robert.

At this point, you have to stick with him. The time to sit him was before the season started, which would have taken incredible intestinal fortitude and Shanny standing up to Danny. Not sure that was realistic. But at this point, we need to relax and let him come back all the way. These games are miserable for us, but they are necessary for his regaining confidence and command of the offense.

People forget this, but Adrian Peterson didn't set the world on fire immediately last year. It took a few weeks for him to get rolling. At this point we do a lot more harm than good by pulling Robert.

You're right. Brady didn't come back guns blazing after his injury either.

Question though: what's the target? the old offense or what we are seeing now?

I hate second-guessing play calling, but ... is it me or are we not calling much play-action at all. Seems like it's either a run or an empty backfield. Why are we EVER putting Bob back there with an empty backfield, with his (obviously) limited mobility and suspect pass-blocking line? Does his injury prevent him from faking handoffs or something?

Ech. I don't know. Bob's not playing well right now but it seems like the playcalling is beyond conservative. I just wish I knew why.

I hate second-guessing play calling, but ... is it me or are we not calling much play-action at all. Seems like it's either a run or an empty backfield. Why are we EVER putting Bob back there with an empty backfield, with his (obviously) limited mobility and suspect pass-blocking line? Does his injury prevent him from faking handoffs or something?

Ech. I don't know. Bob's not playing well right now but it seems like the playcalling is beyond conservative. I just wish I knew why.

henry...good questions. I haven't been tracking to be honest. though I have noticed more than a few plays where the RB and a TE are being kept to protect the edge or inside of the pocket.

let's just hope this isn't part of a bigger drama some in the media have been speculating about: that this is part of the Shanahan/RG drama from last season through the off-season.

Peterson topped 88 yards only once in his first six games last year. We'll see where Griff is during the same time frame in a few weeks.

During the seven game win streak, the time of possession for the Redskins was massive. In these first two games, the time of possession is massive for the opponents. Defenses look far better when the offense keeps the ball for longer periods of time. Again, let's see where we are in a few weeks.

The difference is though that you can still win with a running back playing his way back into shape. Much tougher to do at quarterback as the player touches the ball on every offensive snap and everything flows through him.

I don't know how bad Cousins sprained his foot in the preseason, perhaps he would not have been ready to start the opener, but if he was I think taking one look at Griffin trying to plant and throw would have made a decision for the coaching staff a bit easier to make.

Everyone with the Redskins seems to be afraid if Cousins sees the field for a stretch of time that he will play well enough that there will be a controversy, so the team and Griffin are in lock step to prevent that from happening even if it takes several games for Griffin to start getting this team wins.

If this team loses at home to the Lions on Sunday, and we are 0-3 even in a weak Eastern division I think you have to think about making a change to salvage the season.

The difference is though that you can still win with a running back playing his way back into shape. Much tougher to do at quarterback as the player touches the ball on every offensive snap and everything flows through him.

I don't know how bad Cousins sprained his foot in the preseason, perhaps he would not have been ready to start the opener, but if he was I think taking one look at Griffin trying to plant and throw would have made a decision for the coaching staff a bit easier to make.

Everyone with the Redskins seems to be afraid if Cousins sees the field for a stretch of time that he will play well enough that there will be a controversy, so the team and Griffin are in lock step to prevent that from happening even if it takes several games for Griffin to start getting this team wins.

If this team loses at home to the Lions on Sunday, and we are 0-3 even in a weak Eastern division I think you have to think about making a change to salvage the season.

Agree. I love Griffin and believe he'll be back strong before long. But you don't mortgage a season out of loyalty to the long term starter if he can't play. if we don't win the next 2 something's got to change.

That may be true, but the advantage to playing Cousins now - now that we have a valid justification to do so, is it gives us a chance to possibly raise his trade value, with more play-time and exposure. As it stands now, I don't see his trade value being that high, with his 1.5 games of experience.
So, we could reap at least 2 benefits from playing Cousins, which would most likely out-number the benefits of playing Griff now.

Not gonna happen. Shanahan should've been able to see that he wasn't even close to ready to run the only offense that this OL can protect him in and had him wait till the Bye but maybe Snyder overruled him and now he's stuck with the decision.

Imagine the controversy if Cousins comes in and looks like a starter while winning games after this offensive debacle. The Redskins have done nothing in both first halves and until down 4+ scores.

The Brady comparisons are not spot on because Tom is in his mid-30's a pocket passer. And that is the role he returned to.

Yes, he was rusty but he was running the offense he had run for years and was not attempting to change his game.

Here, it appears from what we see and from what everyone from Dungy to local media (Mitchell, Walker, Cooley) indicates the Redskins have changed the offense and have put Grifffin back into an attack that does not necessarily play to his strengths and that of the OL in front of him.

It 's kind of hard to sell the run when the team is down by more than 3 tds with 2 quarters left

The Brady comparisons are not spot on because Tom is in his mid-30's a pocket passer. And that is the role he returned to.

Yes, he was rusty but he was running the offense he had run for years and was not attempting to change his game.

Here, it appears from what we see and from what everyone from Dungy to local media (Mitchell, Walker, Cooley) indicates the Redskins have changed the offense and have put Grifffin back into an attack that does not necessarily play to his strengths and that of the OL in front of him.

What is the typical game plan for being down 4 tds at the half? The offense is punch drunk for the 1st half and defense isn't playing well. Add in an injured kicker a qb on the field with major reconstruction. It's dreadful all around...that can't last:pint:holes or no holes this team is at least almost mediocre on defense. The offense can move the ball and put points on the board.

We can all see that RGIII isn’t right. That the qualities that made him exceptional last season have not returned to him yet. I think the idea of benching him at this stage doesn’t make too much sense, not yet at least. Talk to me in a couple of weeks.

Let’s say we bench RGIII. What are the pros? Well, he’ll have time to really get right. Clearly he isn’t as healthy as he needs to be to run this offense. In addition if we start Cousins we might be able to win a few games to get the ship righted and get into the win column. Good play from Cousins could increase his future trade value to boot.

The cons? Well, RGIII will not look at any benching favorably. Would any QB? Do we want to start down this road and increase whatever friction there already is between QB and coach? I'd like to avoid that if possible. What if we get our wish and Cousins lights it up, wins a few games and looks good? When exactly do we bench him and hand the keys back to RGIII? When Kirk loses a ballgame? When exactly is RGIII ready? I thought he was “ready” to start the season. I think if you make the switch you’d have to go with it for the rest of the season unless you want the calls for RGIII to start every time Cousins throws an interception. I don’t see how that’s a good idea for anyone involved.

Two games in I’m not going to press the panic button yet. We have issues, no doubt. Let’s make some adjustments, try to fix the defensive errors and see what happens against the Lions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.