• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Trent Williams Granted Permission to Pursue Trade

When healthy, Scherff is a top three guard in the league.

How is that not elite?

You can't as a club keep telling the fan base "We want to draft Redskins and see them get that second contract" and then refuse to pay them when they earn it.
You can't start the discussion by saying 'X player is top three... discuss...' lol. Says who? Look - I like Scherff. I almost love him. But that is absolutely an opinion DP. He has had some injury issues. Most players do - and that's not necessarily a fatal flaw. He's a damn good guard. But top 3? What are you basing that on? And then using that to argue he's 'elite'? He's not close to 'elite' imho. He's a damn good guard. Lets not get carried away.

I think people are underestimating Trent's value.
I'd put it another way. We know his value. We might be underestimating other team's estimation of his value :) I hope you're right!

Before Trent got the green light to start looking for a trade I was convinced that we'd be stuck with a 2nd rounder at best if we moved him. As the process is unfolding it looks like there are several teams who have legitimate interest in Trent. I hear Browns, Dolphins and Jets but people have floated several others. If this is just Trent's camp trying to stir up interest and help their client I still think that could be fantastic news for us.

All you need to have is two suitors....but three?! Hell yes! Drive that price up and let's see if we can get that pick into the first round. Of course drafting a guy we hope can replace Trent with a high draft pick isn't a sure thing by any stretch, but it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. My guess would be that we draft a guy and sign someone who could play right or left if needed. Maybe resign Penn? Is Christian ready?

As for Scherff...well, Pro Football Focus grades him very highly for blocking effectiveness. That gives you some nuts and bolts info on his abilities which is very positive, but he's had some durability issues (5 games missed last year, 8 the year before and 2 the year before that) and maybe it's just me but it always seems like he picks up bad penalties with a little too much regularity. So for me he falls into the "nice to have" instead of "gotta have" category. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather keep him but I'm not going to look for a high building to practice my swan dives if he walks. Guards, even great ones, just don't move the needle enough to get too excited about.

Interesting read on Riggos Rag regarding Trent’s trade. Dude lists like 9 teams and has some compelling points as to the why’s and how’s.

Interesting read on Riggos Rag regarding Trent’s trade. Dude lists like 9 teams and has some compelling points as to the why’s and how’s.

Yeah, he lost me when he suggested that the Texans were an option. Trent wants LT money, he is not going to play RT. The Texans just traded for the best LT in the game looking to re-sign him at probably around $20 million a year, and they want to trade again for an aging LT who wants top LT money so they can shift him to RT? That's a lot of money tied up in just 2 positions on that OL.

Trent is not going to Houston.

Nothing compelling about that assessment.

Last edited:
Yeah, he lost me when he suggested that the Texans were an option. Trent wants LT money, he is not going to play RT. The Texans just traded for the best LT in the game looking to re-sign him at probably around $20 million a year, and they want to trade again for an aging LT who wants top LT money so they can shift him to RT? That's a lot of money tied up in just 2 positions on that OL.

Trent is not going to Houston.

Nothing compelling about that assessment.

I dont think he cares what position he plays as long as he’s out of Washington. And on another note he’s from Texas so returning to the land of Hee Haw may be what he’s pining for.

It’s less likely he ends up there but I wouldn’t completely rule it out yet.

I dont think he cares what position he plays as long as he’s out of Washington. And on another note he’s from Texas so returning to the land of Hee Haw may be what he’s pining for.

It’s less likely he ends up there but I wouldn’t completely rule it out yet.
Of course he cares what position he plays, right tackles do not demand as much money. That is what this is all about.

I’ll be happy when he’s gone and we can get his replacement with the pick

The truth is that Trent has only played one 16 game season since 2013. At 32 he is a declining asset.

In the beginning I thought if a reasonable extension could be negotiated and he was really ready to come back with the changes that were made than that would be a good outcome, admitting that at age 34 or 35 we would likely be paying him a lot more than he used to produce.

Now it appears Trent was playing games all along and was going to pull a demand for a trade, but he wasn't going to do it in a way that made him have to stand up and request it publicly. He was going to make the Redskins blink at the figures for a contract extension and then publicly allow him to seek a trade.

Trent doesn't want to appear like he is the bad guy in any of this, but in the end he was just as manipulative as Bruce Allen was.

Belichick or Andy Reid would definitely move on from Trent strictly based on cost vs. performance for an OT entering his mid-30's.

It's the right move for the Redskins.

Well, one reason I don't think some Redskins received second contracts with the team is because the coaches were not putting some of them in position to maximize their talent and results, especially on defense.

Trent Murphy and Preston Smith were cases 1 and 1A.

Then you can also look to the Chiefs who were able to win the Super Bowl with two Redskins draft picks, Breeland and Fuller, in the lineup.

To me trading a 24 year old cornerback who was just coming into his own (Fuller) as part of a deal for a 35 year old qb like Alex Smith was something only a front office that was desperate would do, which they were after fumbling the Kirk Cousins situation.

That's two #2 picks, a #3 pick and a #4 pick that we allowed to walk out the door for little return.

It's not that this team had no talent, the front office just let it get up and walk away.

Well, one reason I don't think some Redskins received second contracts with the team is because the coaches were not putting some of them in position to maximize their talent and results, especially on defense.

Trent Murphy and Preston Smith were cases 1 and 1A.

Then you can also look to the Chiefs who were able to win the Super Bowl with two Redskins draft picks, Breeland and Fuller, in the lineup.

To me trading a 24 year old cornerback who was just coming into his own (Fuller) as part of a deal for a 35 year old qb like Alex Smith was something only a front office that was desperate would do, which they were after fumbling the Kirk Cousins situation.

That's two #2 picks, a #3 pick and a #4 pick that we allowed to walk out the door for little return.

It's not that this team had no talent, the front office just let it get up and walk away.
I agree on the Fuller point, but did anyone really want to pay Trent Murphy the contract he got? Sometimes you have to let players that are good, but not worth the money, go and replace them with a draft pick. I certainly have no regrets when it comes to Murphy, though I liked him as a player.

Same can be said for Smith in a different way, we had no way of knowing how horribly the defensive coaches were screwing and wasting his production. We knew they were bad, but now we can see why he seemed so close to really good but couldn't make it.

Scherff is not a top 3 guard, he is a very solid guard. we have been overvaluing our Olinemen for years, samuels was not that good, Jansen was overrated for much of his career, TW is a solid player who flashes dominance and also is unreliable due to health and weed. our Oline is not good, we cannot run the ball effectively, a top 3 guard would change that on his own.

The browns are desperate and believe they are an OLine away from a superbowl, so you play on that and offer a quick fix for 2 high level draft picks, it sounds a lotmore dream scenario than it is. the money that TW and scherff want is cap breaking money, the only team that should pay it are teams that are on the cusp, which means NOT US.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.