Trent Williams Granted Permission to Pursue Trade

Fight on... Fight on...

Win4us

Super Bowl MVP
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Air Force

Finally letting Trent seek a trade, good f’n riddance. Cleveland’s 2nd rounder sounds about right

Trent Williams reportedly granted permission to seek trade

Last edited:

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

We will not find a team willing to give up a 1st for Williams. That ship has sailed if it ever was a possibility. I’d like to dream about a 2nd and a 3rd rounder package, but we might have to settle either for a high 2nd round pick or a later 2nd rounder with a 4th or 5th round pick tossed in.

Hopefully this doesn’t drag on and we resolve this quickly.

DixieFlatline

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

William and Mary

So, will he be asking for a new contract with the new team? If so, real question will be will he find any takers to pay him more given his history.

Last edited:

ntotoro

The Team Captain
Reaction score

So, will be be asking for a new contract with the new team. If so, real question will be will he find any takers to pay him more given his history.
That's gonna' be part of the rub right there. He has been given permission to seek one out. Doesn't mean the team will be proactive about it. Truthfully, they don't need to be. If they lose him next year as a FA, they get a 3rd, so they know what they're looking at if they do nothing. Smokey has to not only find a trade partner, but one willing to give up a decent pick and pay his demands.

Good luck with that, Smokey.

MikefromOH

Ring of Fame
Reaction score

Navy Kent State

Sims? Not Cam, for sure. Steven is par. He has some great plays, and then he drops easy passes all game.
Dunbar? Hes decent. Not really durable and now seems a head case.
McLaurin? Wasn't too hard to figure out to draft the QB you wanted #1 target who showed out while watching Haskins.

I agree we could develop someone to replace Trent, for sure. that is what the NFL is about. But, we aren't going to get someone who can just step in and do it immediately...unless there is a new Munoz, Ogden, or Joe Thomas that I haven't seen.

Win4us

Super Bowl MVP
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Air Force

We will not find a team willing to give up a 1st for Williams. That ship has sailed if it ever was a possibility. I’d like to dream about a 2nd and a 3rd rounder package, but we might have to settle either for a high 2nd round pick or a later 2nd rounder with a 4th or 5th round pick tossed in.

Hopefully this doesn’t drag on and we resolve this quickly.
Pretty sure Miami is on the LT lookout in addition to Cleveland. My dream scenario is our #2 pick and Trent for their three 1’s and 2nd. To me that’s worth a helluva lot more than standing pat for Young.

DixieFlatline

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

William and Mary

Just read an article in The Athletic about this. They asked all the beat writers for each NFL team on the chance they would go after Williams. Sources told The Athletic last year that a 2nd round pick was realistic. So the assumption is a team has and would give up a 2nd in addition to potentially paying him more. These were the teams the writers said it's a Slim Chance or Real Chance it could happen.

Real Chance
  1. Chargers (but probably without extension)
  2. Jets (cap friendly with current starter a free agent)
Slim Chance
  1. Bengals
  2. Broncos
  3. Browns
  4. Bucs
  5. Cardinals
  6. Colts
  7. Patriots
  8. Rams
  9. Texans
  10. Vikings
  11. Jaguars (mainly because Gruden is there)

MikefromOH

Ring of Fame
Reaction score

Navy Kent State

Doesn't he dislike Gruden?

What if his demands are just SO outrageous because he wants out of here? He could be just forcing our hand and accept something reasonable from any other team.

DixieFlatline

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

William and Mary

Doesn't he dislike Gruden?

What if his demands are just SO outrageous because he wants out of here? He could be just forcing our hand and accept something reasonable from any other team.
I thought it was more Allen and training staff that he disliked.

MikefromOH

Ring of Fame
Reaction score

Navy Kent State

I really don't know any longer.

Titans, Browns, and Cardinals are all in the hunt for Trent according to BSPN and The Athletic.

DieselPwr44

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score

When healthy, Scherff is a top three guard in the league.

How is that not elite?

You can't as a club keep telling the fan base "We want to draft Redskins and see them get that second contract" and then refuse to pay them when they earn it.

Elephant

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Florida State

scherff is solid but not elite and wants elite money, I would rather package him with TW and try to get a 1-2 from someone. maximise their value and get some decent picks to replace them and go with youth

This is a dream scenario, it won't happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0