• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Thoroughly, Embarrassingly, Out-Coached

I wasn't directing that at you personally BB - but if you look around the web, all you hear is Redskins fans crying. I don't see RG3 whining and bitching, although he could. Redskins fans should try and follow his example, that's all.

O.K. not to be difficult but why? Bitching (especially when it's righteous like this) can be cathartic.

It makes sense why the team should move on and why it's good that they aren't griping about it (at least publicly) but why do fans need to put on the same game faces as the team? It's not like if the fans are happy about refs or fake it that the team will be any better prepared or handle the situation better.

For me as infuriating as this game was it came down to lack of press coverage, stupid blocked punts and an inability or lack of apparent interest in adjusting to Danny Ammendola. It's just nuts. After last year's blocked field goals (in much bthe same way up the middle) it's obvious it's Smith's schemes/coaching. I know we're one of the best teams at fielding and allowing runbacks but who cares if this is happening with frequency? It's like a freakin 3rd rate college squad! I just don't get it either...Shanahan has a reputation for being a hard nosed, taskmaster boss who has no room for bull. I'd think Smith's head would be on a spike by now. Mellowing with age is good for everyone but coaches.

Scheme Lanky.
i.e. coaching.

We'll have to see who wins the coaching battle this week.

Talent, plus home opener, gives us a slight advantage. Coaching/scheming, or lack thereof, will likely be the difference.

Losing Orakpo and Carriker takes us IMO from solid on the defensive front to questionable. The OL is already questionable.

Not too many teams can sustain wins without the horses up front.

Griffin and Co. Can keep these games close but we need pressure on D and at least decent run blocking to take the pressure off the qb.

The line was pretty spotty against the Rams. Morris didn't get many chances to sustain drives.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Play calling didn't help Morris any either BD. We looked more predictable on First Down to me which lead to more Second/Third and Long situations then we had in NO.

Two weeks in a row.

Thoroughly, Embarrassingly, Out-Coached.

Yeah, Bengals were are better team, with better players, than the Rams.

But a piss poor offensive gameplan, with lousy execution...
On top of another dismal defensive scheme, and performance...
Adds up to another loss I put more on the coaching than anything else.

We looked like a rookie staff, again.

Shanahan may be the most over-rated coaching 'legend' ever.

I just think he gives his son too much control over the play calling. Kyle abandons the run every time it gets going and kills momentum consistently!

Yes. Morris with only 17 carries the way he was running? Absurd. The RBs need to get into a groove and get some consistent carries. He got some consistent carries in the 3rd and started picking up steam. Between the subsequent 4th down catastrophe and the absurd playcalling, the coaching staff apparently tried to kill all momentum.

Redskins ‏@Redskins

Shanahan says pass defense will be an area of emphasis this week after giving up big plays two weeks in a row.

Oy vey. Just can't make this **** up.

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen
Mike Shanahan on second half success on offense: "We kind of made our minds up to play a little bit harder."

Mike Shanahan: "In order to win, you've got to have great defense. We're going to have to buckle up a little bit."

Mike Shanahan: "In order to win, you've got to have great defense. We're going to have to buckle up a little bit."

And having a coach who believes his offense can get him a yard of offense at the most critical point of the game doesn't hurt either. #gutless

I'm right there with you brother.

He, and his staff, seem incapable of getting the best out of what they've got. Great coaches, and their staffs, get more, out of less. These guys can't seem to even get minimum performance out of their squad.

I guess until ShanAllen can fill the roster with future Hall of Famers, that even this staff couldn't **** up, we're stuck with this.

Rex Grossman is an infectious disease.

Let me explain.

The "Good Rex", "Bad Rex" syndrome has infected Mike Shanahan.

The "Good Mike" was uncannily brilliant in going to the triple-option and thoroughly confusing the Bengals defense and scoring 17 unanswered points after a first half debacle.

Not going for it on fourth down and a poorly chosen and ill-timed challenge cost the Redskins a great opportunity, a badly needed timeout and gave the Bengals breathing space they shouldn't have had.

Mike, at what point did your head wind up residing in your rectum? You were on a roll and then...what?

The inexplicable disappearance of defensive pressure on Dalton in the latter stages of the game still has me baffled.

Carlos Dunlap was simply a body we lacked the talent to stop. Period.

A.J. Green? Well,I never thought we were blessed with an outstanding secondary so his performance really came as no surprise.

Something else scares me. I like RG3-a lot. He is an amazingly talented rookie QB who I think could prosper under Mike Shanahan's idea of incorporating what he became good at at Baylor into the offense and gradually combining that with the more "customary" NFL style offenses. However, Shanahan failed at something players are often accused of.

Execution.

He executed poorly as an HC. He is indeed partly to blame for the shocking lack of depth at OL-he did well picking a QB with Griff and he's always been good at finding RBs like Morris. But what I'm truly afraid of is what could be one of the most creative and talented QB influences in the game could be either hurt or stunted by one of two things-the coaching failures in other aspects of the game or Shanahan's departure. That's my quandary-as crappy a job of coaching Shanny did today-and he screwed more than one thing-I know of no other HC right at the moment who I think could bring Griffin to what he could be as an innovative leader in how NFL football is played.

That's my quandary and my fear. Robert Griffin III, potential pro-bowl QB and scary weapon-what Mike Vick and Cam Newton could only wish they could be-ruined by a coach who screws other things up too badly-or so badly he gets canned and some "whoever the hot property unemployed HC this week" comes in and tries to fit a brilliantly sharp square peg into his own round hole.

That's the problem-I want Shanahan to stop being the coaching version of "Good Rex", "Bad Rex" and stop making idiotic decisions that cost the Redskins games. I don't want him ridden out of town on a rail just yet because he has something I consider good in mind as a strategy on using RG3 at QB, his tactical decision -making, however, bit it big time today. Damnit!

Yes, I'm pissed as hell at Shanny but God, I'd hate to see Griffin's talent go to waste by a HC who's ideas about football will be obsolete by the time they're installed.

On other matters, if Danny Smith or especially Jim Haslett are fired within the next 48 hours I'll shed nary a tear.

well, I always had questions about bringing back the OL and CB unit essentially intact in re starters from last season when both were in my view below average.

this offensive line can't pass block a lick. and that is a qb with world class speed we have out there.

if the Bengals could sack him 5 times today, just imagine what they would have done to an Andrew Luck or Ryan Tannehill behind this line.............................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.