• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This Week, We're Rooting For...

It's simple, we need to win outright, the Packers to win outright, the Lions to lose 2, and the Bucs to lose one. There are a few more scenarios, but these are the simplest. I just don't see the Skins beating the Gnats...

Actually the simplest is we win 2, and the Pack need to only lose 1, and Bucs lose 1, and Detroit doesn't matter.
There's no need to involve Detroit in this. That actually makes it more complicated than it needs to be. They're leading the division. We should only concern ourselves with current wild card seeds ahead of us, like Pack and Bucs, not current division leaders. We're only a half game behind both of them for the final spot, so the simplest path is to leapfrog them and no-one else.

Tell me again how we need not worry about Detroit and how many they win or lose?

Just simply by making it to overtime, doesn't mean they're in.
There could still be an outright winner from overtime, and the other team is out of the playoffs.

And if you're suggesting they go into collusion to form a tie, I doubt they do that, because the winner of the game still gets the benefit of a division title, a home game, and a higher seed. So there is still clear incentive. And mathemetically, it's highly unlikely they even get to overtime.
Bottom line is, teams play to win. Dallas could have easily laid an egg last night. They had every reason to. But they played like it was the Super Bowl. Even at the end, ahead 42-21, with every reason to take Dak out of the game, they kept their star in there.

There's no way GB and Det make a conspired attempt to tie a game.
And even if they did, it's almost impossible to intentionally tie a game, after 4 quarters.
It's just a weak-minded mentality that I don't believe these players and coaches have.
Man, it ain't that hard dude.

Never, have I suggested that they would collude to tie. No one would do that.

Either team, needing a score at the end of regulation to tie/win, will do whatever they can think of to get it.

But, once in overtime, they are both in, for the moment. They might become very conservative, unwilling to risk a mistake that would knock them out.

Of course, we have to win our game first. If we lose, and Tampa loses, then GB and the Lions are already in. One as division winner. The other as the wildcard.

If we do our job, it is most likely that we are in. All I'm saying is, there were 2 tie games this year. We do not want a 3rd.

Tell me again how we need not worry about Detroit and how many they win or lose?

If you'll look again at my scenario, the Pack just needed to lose one of their last 2 games. That held true then, and that still holds true. As does, everything else in the scenario that needed to happen.
We both agreed there were multiple scenarios. What we were debating was which was the simplest. I said that was the simplest one, as it was/is.

Last edited:
Its the friggin NFL that set it up this way. Why I hate what the NFL has become. It makes no dam sense to change the rules of the game during the course of a season. You know, ties allowed until playoffs, then no ties allowed. What??? Stupid is as stupid does. And they had already changed the way a team wins in the playoffs by changing the rules to allow it to supposedly be more fair..... scoring first or not now we still can end it by a team scoring first on a safety or TD. More bogus if you ask me. If anything, I say in overtime, there is no clock after the first 15 minutes, then play until a winner sudden death style, period, no breaks for quarters.

Never, have I suggested that they would collude to tie. No one would do that.

Well sorry if I mis-interpreted you, but it really came across that way, when you said "If they make it to overtime, they both know they're in." If they're automatically in the playoffs just by getting to overtime, that surely sounds like the teams fully intend to maintain that score throughout overtime, in order to for them to "both know they're in". Because conspiring or colluding during overtime, would be the only way for them to "know they're in".
Otherwise, they don't truly know anything, until the ref says "Game Over".

Not hardly. If we win, both teams will know that a tie puts them both in. Hell, they'll know every scenario before kickoff.

Not that hard to believe that IF they make it to overtime, they could essentially go into "prevent" mode.

Agreed. No guarantee of a tie once in overtime.

Very possible for tactics to change. That is all.

Isn't the Lions/Packers game for the NFC North Title too?

So not only is it for a divisional title, the loser is out of the playoffs.

Plenty incentive for both teams to play to win. Don't see how there could be any collusion there.

Here's even more from Tandler :twitch:

We all know about the Redskins “win and in” scenario on Sunday. If they beat the Giants* at 4:25 they will be in the playoffs as long as the Lions-Packers game that starts at 8:30 doesn’t end in a tie.
But there is a “tie and in” scenario for the Redskins as well, according to the playoff scenarios that the NFL released this afternoon. The way this works is if the Redskins and Giants tie Washington would be in if the Packers lose to the Lions and the Bucs either lose or tie against the Panthers.
How would that work? If the Redskins tie, they would be 8-6-2. A tie counts as a half game won and half a game lost. So the Redskins essentially would be 9-7 (.562 winning percentage). If the Packers lose to the Lions they would be 9-7 and lose the tiebreaker due to the Redskins head-to-head win. If the Bucs lose they would finish 8-8 and a tie would put them at 8-7-1 and out of the tiebreaking pool.
This is all farfetched, primarily because of the tie. The chance of any game ending in a tie is less than one percent. However, if it does happen in the Redskins game it would be an uphill climb for the rest if it to occur. The Packers are favored by about a field goal and Bucs are home favorites by about a touchdown.
Even though it’s unlikely, since we’re talking about a tie possibly playing into the Redskins if they win it’s worth pointing out a scenario that is out there.
Redskins could tie with the Giants and still make the playoffs | CSN Mid-Atlantic

If overtime ends in a tie we go to "shootout mode". The difference is it's just kickers and using horse rule setup. Coin flip determines who's first!

Collusion?
Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

On the other hand, some conspiracies are real.
Like punishing teams for not breaking the cap rules.

Aaron Rodgers is not going to let the Packers lose and fail to win the NFC North championship.

There are certain players that come up big on the big stage, and Rodgers is one of them.

He has been lights out the past 4 weeks in leading Green Bay to consecutive wins while Stafford and the Lions have lost their last 2 games as well as half of their starting defensive backfield.

The Cowboys absolutely abused the Lions defense last week and Garrett didn't have Prescott doing anything risky or revolutionary out there.

Just straight drop back and throw.

Except for that last TD on the flanker option pass from Bryant, which together with the Chiefs passing TD by 346 pound DL Dontari Poe, had me laughing in my drink.

This week I am rooting for the Redskins!

...and an overall lack of desire everywhere

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.