• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This has been a BAD free agency period

its an epic fail when we were never even on the radar. our failure to even contact certain free agents does not speak well of our FO. I have followed Mathis on Twitter, we never even called him. Winston, I couldnt find much other than we spoke with him.

Come on man - you seriously consider 'checking' someone's twitter feed as definitive evidence we did or did not approach or court a guy?

I'm fine with looking at the results and saying the Redskins are effing up free agency. I don't agree, but I can respect a different viewpoint. But you're levelling criticism at them for things you can't possibly know there's any basis to.

Not to mention - we don't know the team's real stance of the cap penalty - sure, we're reading on Twitter and other 'authoratative' sources that the Redskins intend to ignore the penalty, but that's far from a known fact. I'd be very surprised if they werent seriously constrained in their ability to go after guys if for no other reason than to hedge their bets in case they don't ultimately win out on the cap penalty issue.

Not to mention - we don't know the team's real stance of the cap penalty - sure, we're reading on Twitter and other 'authoratative' sources that the Redskins intend to ignore the penalty, but that's far from a known fact. I'd be very surprised if they werent seriously constrained in their ability to go after guys if for no other reason than to hedge their bets in case they don't ultimately win out on the cap penalty issue.

Which is what I believe was part of the intent. Wasn't this Free agency period going to be the opportunity to make up for the loss of 3 early picks?

I like the Garçon signing, excited to see if Morgan is going to live up to the hype but it doesn't appear we have been able to add the talent it was perceived we would add with such a huge amount of cash being stripped from us.

Maybe the work to clear up as much cap space as we have in order to sign significant parts to a winning team wasn't the intention, but I think the overall consensus was we would try to partner our future franchise QB with those parts. I can't believe Garçon, Morgan and Meriweather were the only parts to the rebuild puzzle.

For some reason OL seems to be a no fly zone for Washington so far in 2012.

For years past the Redskins did the same thing in the draft with defensive line, ignoring it completely at the top of the draft from 1997 to 2009.

Recent moves for Jammal Brown and Chris Chester have been disappointing and I don't think counting on Kory Lichtensteiger to make it all the way back from ACL/MCL in a single offseason is realistic.

After wide receiver and DB, OL was and is our greatest need.

Yes, the contracts so far for the free agent OL have not been that excessive.

Cutting one or two veterans on the roster could have provided the necessary cap space to add them.

For some reason OL seems to be a no fly zone for Washington so far in 2012.

Beginning to wonder if maybe they really like Polumbus, Smith, and Hurt. Maybe given the unexpected salary cap restraints and the emergence of these three at the end of the year, they actually don't feel as pressured to address the o-line as most of the rest of us.

I don't know if I agree, but their lack of o line wooing makes ya wonder.

Beginning to wonder if maybe they really like Polumbus, Smith, and Hurt. Maybe given the unexpected salary cap restraints and the emergence of these three at the end of the year, they actually don't feel as pressured to address the o-line as most of the rest of us.

I don't know if I agree, but their lack of o line wooing makes ya wonder.

They'd better be right. I am growing more than a little impatient with our lack of attention to the line over the past few years.

On the other hand, we can't fill all needs in one off-season, not when we have to give up some major draft bankage to get a franchise quarterback. I want a dominant O-line as much as anyone - but we may just not be able to get there this year.

i agree we may need a few OL tweeks..but didn't we run the ball pretty good in most games last year...and i think with a different QB in place we may have had a few more points on the board...our "d" was pretty solid ... i would like a few solid upgrades at some spots, but all in all i think we are headed in the right direction...I like what the FO has done over the last couple of drafts...some of us is ate up with such negativity...my glass is half full............bring on RGIII in 2013

HTTR !!!!!

On the other hand, we can't fill all needs in one off-season, not when we have to give up some major draft bankage to get a franchise quarterback. I want a dominant O-line as much as anyone - but we may just not be able to get there this year.

it isnt like it was just his twitter feed, although he was pretty open about who had contacted him, its about the fact that we have been abjectly stupid for almost a decade when it comes to building our lines. you are absolutely right, we cant fill our needs all in one offseason, this is year 3, we should have been filling needs for 3 seasons, and given the position of this team when this FO took overm we really needed to revamp our offence instead we did nothing in year one but exchange our old guys for other teams old guys, in year two we added a pile of bodies on defence and cut a pile of bad contracts, this year should have been a year that we stockpiled talent and filled holes on the offence, putting us in great shape next year to trade or draft a franchise QB.

Instead we gave up 3 firsts and a second for the second pick and then grabbed some playmakers in free agency, I would have been far less annoyed with that, had we actually signed some of the Olinemen that were available, instead we seem to be pulling the same old same old, relying on late round picks and UDFA level players, and while that might be ADEQUATE, we will not win until we have an Oline that can sustain high level play even against good defences. worse yet, Rookie QB, we should be trying to make sure that he is hit as little as possible, remember, David Carr was lauded as a franchise QB, and that texans line sure fixed him in a hurry.

Bleacher Report, Ryman? Seriously?

Football Outsiders (a real site, not a glorified message board like BR) had the Redskins rated 10th overall in adjusted running yards, 15th in adjusted sack %. They wouldn't be in the top half of either stat with an abomination at RG, which you seem to think Chris Chester was.

And yes, Ryman, if a 7th round OG gets the nod for an NFL team and performs even ADEQUATELY, he is considered a steal. And be honest, you have no idea whether or not he'd have started on any other NFL roster.

Ry, what have we given up this year? Seriously? Because from my admittedly dark place in the world all I see us as having given up this year is a 2nd round pick. That is all.

For all we know the team had plans to drop big money on the OL right up to the point the NFL picked our pocket for $18 million in cap space this year. I know losing $18 million out of my budget would change my plans for the year.

Remember, the trade for the #2 pick was made BEFORE the league docked us. The order that things happen might just be more important that what actually happens. It would behoove all of use to remember that.

Ry, what have we given up this year? Seriously? Because from my admittedly dark place in the world all I see us as having given up this year is a 2nd round pick. That is all.

For all we know the team had plans to drop big money on the OL right up to the point the NFL picked our pocket for $18 million in cap space this year. I know losing $18 million out of my budget would change my plans for the year.

Remember, the trade for the #2 pick was made BEFORE the league docked us. The order that things happen might just be more important that what actually happens. It would behoove all of use to remember that.

the second pick in a draft deep in linemen was a massive thing to give up on top of 3 firsts. but you are right, this gong show, hurts us for real.

Lanky, bleacher report is sometimes pretty accurate, football outsiders is pretty solid too, but dont cherry pick, we also ranked 25th running left lol.

hurt was out of shape early one, and performed adequately, he only played because we literally had noone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.