• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The unpleasant truth

Well they better stop running the option then. One of the hardest hits he took today was on the option.
They ran that ****in' play 783 times didn't they?

The Bengals figured out how to play it after 3rd or 4th time, though.

Boone is absolutely right, yeah we are scoring more, and I have said that Shanny is a genuis at running an offence, what he is not a genius at is building it.

simply put, we have ignored the Oline aside from TW who was a desperation pick who hasnt lived up to his draft status we have filled our line with guys who would be backups anywhere else, a team can get away with 1-2 of those guys but we currently have 6.

We should be running maxpro, 1 or 2 step drops and rollouts, we should be keeping TE's in to block or running them out on short passes. we should be staying with the run even though to be honest our oline gets no push in the running game, why? BECAUSE WE JUST GAVE UP THE UNIVERSE FOR RG3 AND HE ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE HE MIGHT BE WORTH IT IF WE KEEP HIM ALIVE. but we have been so bad at finding Olinemen that its almost amusing.

The secondary is bad, flat out bad but you can scheme around that somewhat, but it will need an infusion of talent as well.

The offense isn't the problem. We put up 31 today...31! During JC's tenure, we'd be happy with 21.

We have a DC who is new to the 3-4...valid point...and, his defenses are dissected at the line by opposition qbs ROUTINELY. No disguises, no bump and run, simple stuff.

Rookie QB...rookie RB...other young guys sprinkled throughout. I don't know that this is a valid complaint.

Money was an issue...and, why was that? Arrogance last year by the FO.

A new defensive coordinator and special teams coach wouldn't hurt...but throwing in the towel after 2.5 years doesn't make sense.

Scoring points on bad defences doesnt mean much, keeping our massive investment uninjured and developing means a lot more.

Haslett is a motivator, but his schemes are like bantam schemes this is true, its actually really frustrating for me to watch this team, we were running way too much 3 man rush and 4 man rush stuff.

this is not the first year of the shanny regime.

Money was not an issue during the beginning of free agency and I still think we threw in the towel too easily we should be fighting that 30 mil BS.

I am ok with giving shanny until the end of this season to prove he should be here but im damned if im gonna watch another friggin Norval regime for a decade.

I just...I can't. I'm broken.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

We should be running maxpro, 1 or 2 step drops and rollouts, we should be keeping TE's in to block or running them out on short passes. we should be staying with the run even though to be honest our oline gets no push in the running game, why? BECAUSE WE JUST GAVE UP THE UNIVERSE FOR RG3 AND HE ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE HE MIGHT BE WORTH IT IF WE KEEP HIM ALIVE. but we have been so bad at finding Olinemen that its almost amusing.

The secondary is bad, flat out bad but you can scheme around that somewhat, but it will need an infusion of talent as well.
I had this thought during the game too. The way we were gashing them in the running game I think we would have been more effective limiting our deep stuff to occasional shots on play action combined with a lot more underneath routes.

In this case I have to agree with your usual question, i.e. if we as rank amateurs can figure this out, why can't our coaching staff?

Thats whats so damn frustrating Yusuf, I mean we spend money like its water, why not spend it on the front office where there is no cap? we should have the greatest scouting department in the league, we should have more "idea" guys than any other team, we should have more capologists and better capologists and more business analysts and talent evaluators and scouts etc etc etc. the guys we have have access to state of the art film, I dont know how many of you guys have had access to professional film but I assure it is amazing, its broken down to down and distance, situation, hell you can get film of ANYTHING. so why is it that fans who pay attention, who watch the games and read scouting reports, are beating this teams highly paid "experts" to the punch so often?

Running the ball? yes I know the excuses, we werent getting enough push, the lanes werent there, the Oline wasnt getting into the double teams that are so important in zbs, but when we abandon the run and the depend on RG3 to be our main runner, we simply are risking our investment during a season that is pretty much a waste anyway.

whats really Galling is that we wont benefit from this season, someone else is going to get our top 10 pick. this makes me so very very angry lol

As for the holes, I do think that losing 18 million the day before free agency really did impact us. The 'skins went forward with part of plan A which was to grab that exciting receiver, but how they were planning to deal with the line and secondary never manifested because the scale had slid.

Now, probably they could and should have done better, but I think the amount and the timing messed them up and if you are going to get the good free agents... you make your pitch immediately. You can't wait. That's something the Redskins were blindsided with.

We couldn't go into this season with RGIII not having anyone to throw the ball to. I have no problem with Garçon, and really not a huge problem with Morgan. I still think the line will come together at some point and start playing better. I truly believe a lot of it is play calling. Kyle hasn't figured out yet that the line doesn't pass protect well on plays that take time to develop. Those first 6-7 passes against the Saints were great three step drop passes that set up the deep passes, which then set up the run. Boy Genius needs to implement some three step drops which will lead to some screens, slants, quick hits to loosen up the D.

The triple option loosened them up yesterday, but then he stopped running the ball. Hell, run some draw plays as well, anything to make the defenders think twice about pinning their ears back. Really ain't that complicated.

EDIT: I've said it before. I think Kyle likes thinking he is the smartest guy in the room. I think he has some sort of ageist complex, where he thinks he has to prove he is smarter than the old establishment in the league.

I don't know if you all noticed, but the Bengal's defense was on fire during the first half. Not only were they making plays all over the field, but they were sniffing out every little trick we tried. We threw a few of those three-step drop passes and our WRs were getting crushed. In the second half we actually did a pretty good job of adapting to the Bengal's aggressive style and put some nice drives together, despite our obvious weaknesses on the line. Against a lesser team we probably would have won that game, but let's not forget the Bengals are actually a pretty darn good team. They went to the playoffs last year through probably the toughest division in the league. All this talk about once we have a QB all our troubles would be gone, well, that wasn't gonna happen. This year is about getting the QB, not being a complete team. And I think we can say we did that. We found the QB. Sure he's getting baptized by fire but so what? Plenty of rooks deal with that. The good ones stick and I think we have a good one. Griffin is not Carr or Shuler or Ramsey. He's not getting rattled. He's going to be our QB for a decade, even if he gets smacked around a lot this year.

Like I said, most of the hits he takes he'll take no matter how good the line is. He runs a lot. He uses himself as a decoy a lot. That's his game. Didn't we all know this going in? He's taken a total of eight sacks this year, which is not outrageous. During our very best offensive year of the past decade, 2005, when we had our best, healthiest line since The Hogs running the max-protect Joe Gibbs scheme we had already given up 10 sacks at this point in the season. Things could be a lot, lot worse.

Why do I sound like The Grinch after the wins and Little Mary Sunshine after the losses? We've been watching this team a loooong time. We know what we're going to see, don't we? Why is it always such a shock when it happens?

Abandoning the run is a familiar problem with Kyle - we've seen this movie before.

What's so very frustrating for me is watching this prodigy at the QB position, this enigma that we have never had before, that will revolutionize the QB position - knowing he's going to be around for 2, maybe 3 seasons if we're lucky. Dude is getting CRUSHED on every play. Every play! I think there were maybe 10 plays all game where he didn't end up on his ass.

The Bengals D is not good...the Skins should have been able to move the ball much better, withOUT getting Griff killed every snap. Morris was having success running the ball...he was shredding them. 4.6ypc, his first two carries went for 22 yards! But Kyle just doesn't like to run that much I don't think. I just don't get it. You see a little Terrell Davis in Morris? Then effin' let him run like TD.

Defensively - I could not be happier with the front 7, even after losing Rak & Kerrigan. Jackson & White stepped in and played very well (not sure about Wilson, didn't notice him much) for Rak, and Jenkins seemed to do well also. Against the run, they are very stout - Law Firm did not have much room to run, he averaged 2.2ypc (17 for 38). Its the secondary that is a major concern - major, major, major. On the 3rd & goal TD to Gresham, Madieu Williams came in and had a chance to stop him from crossing the goalline, and would have held them to a field goal. He threw a terrible, shoulder-tackle, and bounced right off. Goddamnit. TACKLE LIKE A PROFESSIONAL.

Like I said, most of the hits he takes he'll take no matter how good the line is. He runs a lot. He uses himself as a decoy a lot. That's his game. Didn't we all know this going in? He's taken a total of eight sacks this year, which is not outrageous. During our very best offensive year of the past decade, 2005, when we had our best, healthiest line since The Hogs running the max-protect Joe Gibbs scheme we had already given up 10 sacks at this point in the season. Things could be a lot, lot worse.

He runs a lot, yes. But he was getting hit on every. Single. Play. He was getting pounded out there, Henry! Come on...there should be an expectation of getting hit on running plays and option plays, sure. But not on 3-step drop backs. He was just getting crushed.

And for the love of god - please stop giving the ball to Banks. He is sometimes good for one big-gainer, but that's it! Once he's done his thing once, he's not going to get room again. He's just not. Let him get his 20-yard gain on the first carry, then use him as a decoy the rest of the way. End of story.

Don't have the energy to look for the thread, but that 3-win prediction isn't looking too far off, now. Ugh.

And for the love of god - please stop giving the ball to Banks. He is sometimes good for one big-gainer, but that's it! Once he's done his thing once, he's not going to get room again. He's just not. Let him get his 20-yard gain on the first carry, then use him as a decoy the rest of the way. End of story.

Yes. YES! I was watching the game with my Dad, and when he got the ball and made a nice gain we both smiled a little. Nice to see. But gee Kyle. Maybe you think by the fifth time the D might figure it out? I don't know why Kyle wants to get the ball in his hands with consistency? Banks is a nice player who is fast. REALLY fast. But let's not get carried away.

Unleash Morris. Kid looked effing GREAT early this week. Someone started a thread about Morris not looking terrific after the first game - that was definitely not applicable here. Give him the damn ball already. Early and often. Kid was making people miss, running with authority, he needs to be given the ball.

I was going to break some of these posts down but rather than do that I'll just close by saying it's never as good as it looks after a win and never as bad as it looks after a loss. I think there's a lot of post-loss hangover going on here and I'm not going to keep trying to fight that. Stay away from tall buildings and bridges and thing will look better tomorrow.

I also think Shanahan had a huge tactical error not going for it on 4th & short. Could have worked out well if Lorenzo keeps that ball out of the endzone, but he didn't.

Second week in a row Shanahan has taken the game OUT of the hands of the franchise savior.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with the incorrect over analysis after a loss. Our fan base is so bi-polar it's absolutely ridiculous.

We did not abandon the run what so ever. Here's the break down of the 2nd half plays via http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20120...enu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

3rd quarter:
7 runs on the first drive down 24-10
7 runs on the second drive down 24-17
1 run third drive (3 and out, with a sack)

4th quarter:
2 runs first drive, 3 and out (first play was a pass at the end of the 3rd quarter)
2 runs second drive, 5 plays before having to punt
1 run on the third drive, 13 play drive. ended in a touch down, was down 38-24 at this point with 7:08 to go at the start of the drive
2 runs on the fourth drive, but both were scambles so designed passes, down 38-24 with 1:47 left on the clock.

we didn't abandon the run at all. the last two drives we pretty much only passed, but thats because were down by 2 scores with less than 8 minutes to go and no timeouts. that's not abandoning the run, thats trying to win the game with what little time you have left.

the one drive ended in a touch down and the second drive had us on the 20 with over 30 seconds to go (after starting on our own 2 yard line with 1:47 to go!), the clock stopped, and in prime position to tie it until our team fell apart mentally and penalties pushed us to the other side of the 50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.