• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The QB situation is not as dire as we may think

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
We’ve had some time to digest the impact of watching Rex Grossman as the starting QB and the subsequent fall to bench warmer. Perhaps it was inevitable, but the attention has now shifted to John Beck and the dire situation that the Redskins are facing at QB. Or is it as dire as some are suggesting?

First and foremost, we may see a good transition to John Beck and he could have several fine years ahead of him. If that is the case, then we can count our blessings and say farewell and good riddance to Rex. Does this mean we can take a pass on selecting a QB in the upcoming draft? Possibly, but it would depend on the kind of season we will have from Beck. At the very least, we could take a developmental QB in the second or third round as opposed to the first round.

If Beck falters, then we have no other choice and must take a QB in round one. Too, a seasoned veteran will need to be signed and brought in for obvious reasons. With that in mind, who do we select in the first round and should the team move up for the right player? Let’s get one part of this question answered right away. Forget Andrew Luck. The Redskins will not be in a position to draft the all-everything standout from Stanford – the cost would be too high to move up and grab him. A better choice would be someone like a Matt Barkley, a Landry Jones, or a Robert Griffin. If it requires a move up to select one of these coveted QBs, then do so and know that you won’t pay a huge price in the process.

Again, let’s assume that Beck has a good 2011 and a solid developmental QB is selected in round two or three. Offense will probably garner a lot of attention in the upcoming draft and an emphasis will be the offensive line. If this scenario happens, don’t be surprised if the Redskins draft a highly rated left tackle and move Trent Williams to right tackle. We can debate the merits of such a move at a later time.

Finally, let us not forget about Jonathan Crompton. This youngster is our developmental QB on the practice and he had a solid preseason. Crompton could have a good offseason and compete for a roster spot in 2012.

I agree with SHF & LL56 on this topic - its fairly obvious that the Redskins are modeling their team after a team like Pittsburgh, that built up the team around QB, then drafted their QB of the future to be competitive immediately. As others have pointed out, even if the Packers had drafted Campbell and we took Rodgers, he would not have been nearly as successful in DC. The team around him would not have fostered the type of success he is enjoying in Green Bay (and Campbell just might be a superbowl champion....naaawwww, probably not).

Let's just hope such a plan for 2012 is in place and we aren't looking in secondary free agency for a veteran who can be a placeholder for yet another season.

We aren't going to get a top tier QB in the draft AND a capable vet - I just don't see that happening (any vet worth having for more than a season would likely come at a high cost). If Beck doesn't prove to be 'the future' at QB, we'll draft one, and Beck will play until he's ready, probably sooner than later.

We aren't going to get a top tier QB in the draft AND a capable vet - I just don't see that happening (any vet worth having for more than a season would likely come at a high cost). If Beck doesn't prove to be 'the future' at QB, we'll draft one, and Beck will play until he's ready, probably sooner than later.

I think drafting a future QB is a certainty either way - Beck ain't no spring chicken. And remember, this draft is very deep at QB, so we could very well end up with the 3rd or 4th best QB and be just fine. A lot of the "bad" teams ahead of us already have their QB of the future, only two are really locks to draft one - the Colts and the Dolphins.

Lanky, I agree that the team is trying to build most of the pieces before drafting a QB and it is a good plan. As we have seen with the defense, a team can rebuild one side of the ball with just one draft and a solid free agency - a couple of steals via trades as well.

BT, it is becoming way too obvious that Coach Shanahan and GM Allen has a great plan in place. We need to be patient, but there are good things happening and it is pointed in the right direction.

Boone, if John Beck proves to be a viable/reliable starter, then there is no need to sign a seasoned veteran at QB. We would still draft a franchise QB imho. If Beck falters, then we sign a solid veteran and draft that same franchise QB imho. It's smart football.

This is how I think it will unfold:

1. Beck has a good run this season...
Beck remains the starter. We draft a franchise QB. Crompton is promoted to the roster for 2012 - he could have a good preseason and it would be wise to keep three QBs on the roster at that juncture.

2. Beck falters this season:
We draft a franchise QB and sign a solid veteran as well. Crompton is promoted to the roster as mentioned in the aforementioned paragraph.

This is how I think it will unfold:

1. Beck has a good run this season...
Beck remains the starter. We draft a franchise QB. Crompton is promoted to the roster for 2012 - he could have a good preseason and it would be wise to keep three QBs on the roster at that juncture.

2. Beck falters this season:
We draft a franchise QB and sign a solid veteran as well. Crompton is promoted to the roster as mentioned in the aforementioned paragraph.
A) Define "solid veteran"

B) Who do we know will likely be on the market next season as a FA - QB wise? Orton?

Obviously Gross man is not the answer. Neither is Beck.

I say we go for the "Suck for Luck" strategy

A) Define "solid veteran"

B) Who do we know will likely be on the market next season as a FA - QB wise? Orton?

A. With all due respect, asking would be nice instead of a directive. However, some things are just too obvious. I don't play the ES game any longer.

B. Perhaps you can do some research on google.

A. With all due respect, asking would be nice instead of a directive. However, some things are just too obvious. I don't play the ES game any longer.

B. Perhaps you can do some research on google.
BB, you know I love you, man. Sorry - I'm at work and was just trying to get my thought out there.

I was just wondering what you meant by a "solid starter". It might impact who is an attractive candidate as a backup vet QB.

I'll have a look on Google.

Didn't mean to get on your bad side! :)

We're cool. I'm just short with everything today - I'll be better by December. :)

I found this...

http://nfltraderumors.co/2011022012-nfl-free-agents/

A few names pop up. Matt Flynn. Josh Johnson. Ryan Fitzpatrick. And we don't know who will be released.

By "solid", I mean that someone who has put up decent stats and while this player may not be all world, he would be someone who is dependable/serviceable.

Just to add...
I'm really liking Robert Griffin more and more. Landry and Barkley would be good choices too.

Griffin is growing on me as well, though I keep hearing he may not come out this year.

A few names pop up. Matt Flynn. Josh Johnson. Ryan Fitzpatrick. And we don't know who will be released.

Just to add...
I'm really liking Robert Griffin more and more. Landry and Barkley would be good choices too.
I'd be shocked if the Bills don't re-up on Fitz. Matt Flynn is a name I've heard batted around a lot, but I know very little about him or whether he is starter material. He is behind Rodgers on the depth chart which means he's probably a good bet for a flight risk (ie, would be available).

Griffin has been getting lots of airtime. I'll have to try and catch a Baylor game soon.

As for Barkley, I am a little wary of USC QBs. They haven't really done much to impress me in the NFL recently.

Well, the flash Matt Flynn showed against the Patriots when Rodgers went down was pretty impressive. He was slinging it with Tom Brady and almost won that game. But that was one time against a defense that is proving it wasn't very good when he faced him. I liked what I saw so we see the potential and we can't say it was because of his surrounding cast, GB was dealing with numerous injuries.

There's no future with beck or Rex. There are going to be a lot of good QBs in this draft. No need to trade away the future for Luck. Find the best QB that fits our offense and take him with our first pick. Then load up on oline in the draft and hopefully bring in a FA WR.

There's no future with beck or Rex. There are going to be a lot of good QBs in this draft. No need to trade away the future for Luck. Find the best QB that fits our offense and take him with our first pick. Then load up on oline in the draft and hopefully bring in a FA WR.

I wish there was some expert who could assess what the receivers are really doing...who is running good routes......who is getting open. can't tell from TV and I'm not going to DVR and watch this stuff! there have to be some keepers...doesn't there?

fansince, when Gaffney was making those drops and everybody was steamed I just kept thinking, isn't anybody else able to get open? I have the same question-do we have anybody after Moss who's seriously good?

BTW,while I'm ranting, if I see Jamaal Brown and DeAngelo Hall anymore I'm going to scream-and then I'm going to throw up.

God they are horrible, just freakin' horrible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.