• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Peyton Manning discussion

thats a 100lb weight off my shoulders!

Tell me about it...Peyton would have been such a disappointment. Then I would have over time convinced myself to be excited about it, because well, its Peyton Manning. Then when he got injured for the first time, it would be back to extreme disappointment.

Tell me about it...Peyton would have been such a disappointment. Then I would have over time convinced myself to be excited about it, because well, its Peyton Manning. Then when he got injured for the first time, it would be back to extreme disappointment.

It's tiring going through this as often as we have, isn't it?

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. For the last 20 years. :(

This team is so unfair to this fan base. I just keep believing it'll change. Then, as you say above, find myself disappointed again. At some point, it HAS to change, right? I mean, RIGHT?!

Well, according to what I have been reading over at the other site from jsteelz, Manning never said he was not coming to DC. They said it doesn't mean he is coming, just that he never said he wasn't.

That's what I'm reading/hearing as well. Still - Manning to DC is highly unlikely. All signs point to the Dolphins.

That's what I'm reading/hearing as well. Still - Manning to DC is highly unlikely. All signs point to the Dolphins.

You know, I am surprised more free agents don't sign with teams in Florida or Texas or Tennessee. If I were an athlete who stood to earn millions of dollars, my decision would be swayed by what States offer no State income tax along with a team that is somewhat competitive. I would think the Dolphins would have little problem signing big names consistently.

Just an aside as we discuss his landing spot. It will be an interesting few days as we get a clearer picture of where he lands.

My goal isn't to upset anyone....but I never believed Manning would come to DC--even if we offered him twice as much money as any other team. I believe anyone thinking differently has a very unrealistic view of the situation.

On a related note, a reporter in Florida, who is citing "sources in the Manning camp" is now reporting that Manning believes Dan Snyder is a "clown" and that we are out of the running.

I believe it's going to take several years to repair the damage.

I never expected Manning to come here. He doesn't want to play against Eli twice a year. They are too close.

Boone, as I understand things, players have to file income taxes for each state they play in. So some on a FL team doesn't pay tax for home games. If they play in CA, then pay for each game played there. I may be wrong, but this is how was explained to me
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well so much for that "Classiest NFL Player" that everyone keeps telling us that Peyton is.

Well he hasn't said it to reporters....or in public. Reportedly just to those close to him.

And can you really disagree with him?

yes, as a Redskins fan I can. Snyder isnt a "clown". He is an asshole. and someone who makes the wrong moves but for the right reasons.

Well, If you are Manning, a sure first ballot hof'er, and you want one or two more chances at a SB.....do you really want to take your last chance with Snyder? If everyone is being honest....probably not.

He has reportedly given control over to Shanahan, but he's had an amazing amount of gaffes over the last ten years to make up for.

Believing in Vinny? Believing in Zorn?

That's probably a circus that Manning wants no part of. it's going to take a few years to repair that image I'm afraid.

Well he hasn't said it to reporters....or in public. Reportedly just to those close to him.

Well, they really can't be considered "close to him" if they leaked that juice out :laugh:

And can you really disagree with him?

Snyder is a lot of things, but clown is definitely not one of them.
That's just an exaggeration that the media, and all the hating fans want you to believe.

And secondly, any objective mind can see that Snyder has evolved into a much better owner over the years. He is nothing at all like the owner he used to be.
So many people are living in the past, when it comes to judging Snyder.

If he was such a "clown" in the present tense, do you really believe that Shanahan and his head-strong ways, and HIS desire also for one last hurrah, would have come to work for Snyder ??
So why didn't HE go to Miami ? :laugh:

Last edited:
Fear, I personally don't believe two years is a large enough sample size to determine if he's a totally new owner/person.

Just two years ago, he brought in a bingo caller to run the offense. The ban on signs....the lawsuits....Remember our HC search before that? Considering Jim Fossil before believing he had to grab Zorn quickly before another team made him a HC?

I don't believe the term "clown", in the sense of football acumen is too harsh to describe what Snyder was. Bringing Tom Cruise down to the sideline to meet the HC twenty minutes before kickoff? Clown may have been too friendly of a term for those years past.

We all hope he's changed. And as far as Shanny goes......an incredible cash payday--twice what Gibbs made, and bringing his son on, and relinquishing all control was a pretty good package.

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but Jim Fassel would've, in retrospect, been a much better choice :)

Beyond that, I can't argue.

Well so much for that "Classiest NFL Player" that everyone keeps telling us that Peyton is.

You don't think Dan Snyder is a clown?

I really can't criticize Manning if he did say that. He doesn't owe Snyder any respect. Hell - WE don't owe Snyder any respect. I have to disagree on this front. I've been close enough to the organization that I can't really argue the point. Snyder may well be (and this is the most generous assessment I can make) a 'well-intentioned' disaster as an owner, but make no mistake, since his arrival, he's taken a storied franchise and turned it into a laughing stock. I don't know if that makes him a 'clown', but it's certainly in that adjective neighborhood.

My opinion.

He's 'evolved'? Says who? He appears to be staying out of the football operations stuff at present. But whether he can sustain that or not is an open question. THAT is a fact.

I'll put another hypothesis out there. Joe Gibbs may not have left the Redskins because his grandson was ill or for other ambiguous reasons. His decision may have been based on the most obvious reason of them all. Just a thought....

Last edited:
And as far as Shanny goes......an incredible cash payday--twice what Gibbs made, and bringing his son on, and relinquishing all control was a pretty good package.

That's not a very strong argument, because Snyder would have likely offered that same exact package to Manning, as he did to Shanahan.

You don't think Dan Snyder is a clown?

I think Jerry Jones fits that description FAR better than Snyder

Now you're just talking about PR. If Manning actually made those comments, I'm confident he's talking about the last 10 years of Dan Snyder's football decision-making, not whether or not he makes an ass of himself in front of a microphone or TV camera.

Snyder may have learned some lessons from his mistakes - he deserves the chance to do so, and credit if he demonstrates that's a reality. But the truth is, he's been a disaster of an NFL owner for 20 years, and an aggressive, arrogant, self-serving disaster at that. And we can't fault any NFL star for being wary of that well-deserved reputation.

Sorry - but I think you'd have a hard time arguing otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.