• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Perfectly Elusive Perfect Burger

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I love me a great burger. I’m a pretty skilled cook, especially when it comes to the grill and smoker. But I have never been able to do a great burger. Don’t get me wrong, even a ‘bad burger’ is still pretty damn good, but...

Here’s my issue.I don’t buy pre-made, pre-formed burgers, but hand form my own. The challenge I have run into is figuring out how not to compact the patty as I form it. Mine always come out much more dense than I want. When I eat at a top burger place, the meat in their burgers is very loosely packed and you can still see individual strands of ground beef in them. It’s like a totally different product.

I don’t know if it’s the quality of beef, how they ‘form’ their burgers, or how they are prepared.

I need those of you who make a great burger to share your most closely guarded burger secrets :)

Have you ever used egg to bind the beef? Maybe a little panko bread crumb?

Just don't overfill with either...

I will say this...I rejected Bobby Flay's burger at Bobby's Burger for a loooooong time. That place has a phenomenal burger!

I love me a great burger. I’m a pretty skilled cook, especially when it comes to the grill and smoker. But I have never been able to do a great burger. Don’t get me wrong, even a ‘bad burger’ is still pretty damn good, but...

Here’s my issue.I don’t buy pre-made, pre-formed burgers, but hand form my own. The challenge I have run into is figuring out how not to compact the patty as I form it. Mine always come out much more dense than I want. When I eat at a top burger place, the meat in their burgers is very loosely packed and you can still see individual strands of ground beef in them. It’s like a totally different product.

I don’t know if it’s the quality of beef, how they ‘form’ their burgers, or how they are prepared.

I need those of you who make a great burger to share your most closely guarded burger secrets :)
The top places have their own mix of beef that they grind fresh. Generally 2-3 cuts.

And, yes, handle the meat as minimally as possible is a golden rule.

Yeah, I usually "grind" whatever I am using in a food processor to make sure I maximize flavor and texture. That way I can use chuck but also cut in some sirloin or something else (I cut in some bacon the other day and that was... very good). Then keep the add-ins to a minimum, imo. Let the beef speak for itself if you're using good stuff.

Damn, seems I’m alone just forming regular ground beef with my hands, like a peasant.

If you guys ever happen to buy pre-made patties ‘Bubba’ makes some bomb ass burgers.

Years back my ex was a manager at five guys when they first came to the area. She needed help, so I started working mornings there to prep. The way they did their burgers was to individually weigh out each patty to 1/4 pound, roll it in a ball, stick it on a piece of wax paper, and mash it down to about 1/4 inch, then grill it. No mashing on the grill at all. This is the method I still use, and it works great. The only thing I do different, is I use 73/27 for better flavor, not the 90/10 they use.

Did smash burgers for the first time. Sort of eliminates the challenge of keeping the burgers formed but loose. They were super good and that’s got to be the easiest method of cooking a burger ever.

Brother Om can testify :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.