• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The New Washington Redskins Thread

Imagine the fan hysteria when Rivera hires Norv Turner to be his offensive coordinator, and not KOC...

Hah! Dude!!! What are you thinking? I'm gonna give ya a smack when I see ya...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. :doh1:

At least the first 2 of these are official.

Okay I get bringing in a few guys you've worked with before but not impressed at the whole Carolina staff coming on board. I'll have to check their rankings but there were MANY panther fans glad to see their o-line coach leave.

Edit: Seems the panthers were equal to the skins in run blocking, but pass blocking they ranked 28th though dead last in most sacks given up with 58! Not a good stat to start the rebuild and this is RR's first hire(s) I dislike.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Last edited:
Okay I get bringing in a few guys you've worked with before but not impressed at the whole Carolina staff coming on board. I'll have to check their rankings but there were MANY panther fans glad to see their o-line coach leave.

I logged in to post almost exactly what you just said. These guys accomplished next to nothing in Carolina with better owners and more talent. Why would bringing them along for the ride make a difference just because the location is different? Yet another thing about the Rivera hiring that leaves me underwhelmed.

I logged in to post almost exactly what you just said. These guys accomplished next to nothing in Carolina with better owners and more talent. Why would bringing them along for the ride make a difference just because the location is different? Yet another thing about the Rivera hiring that leaves me underwhelmed.

Kinda brings Tampa flashbacks right

Edit: Carolina's passing attack was pretty woeful. Ranked 20th in recieving yards and 31st in receiving td's. FFS we were ahead of them in td receptions by 1. Hard to imagine overnight success with the 2 most recent position coach hires. Maybe the better position coaches for whatever reason are turning RR down to come here?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team...table/passing/sort/passingTouchdowns/dir/desc

Last edited:
You guys sound like me. :laugh:

It's 2 coaches out of a cast of 10-12 who are not in major roles, and you act like it's the end of the world.

Upon further review, Matsko sucks. This season, his offensive line was tied for worst in the league with Miami for sacks allowed (58) and with 484 yards lost as a result, they were 110 yards worse than the next closest team in Tennessee at 374.

92-93 when he was with the Cardinals, their O-line ranked 24th and 9th.

94-96 with the Saints they ranked 9th, 20th and 29th.

97-98 with the Giants they ranked 21st and 23rd.

99-2005 with the Rams they ranked 1st, 1st, 1st (anyone would have considering who they had) then 24th, 2nd, 19th and 11th.

06-07 with the Chiefs they ranked 15th and 31st.

08-11 with the Ravens they ranked 11th, 9th, 16th and 12th.

12-19 with the Panthers they ranked 18th, 18th, 19th, 1st, 15th, 12th, 15th, and 20th.

He's like Jim Haslett - a proven track record of being a bad coach, but always manages to find a sucker to hire him.

Fun fact - in his 28 years in the NFL as an offensive line coach, his unit has been in the top 5 in sacks allowed 20 times.

You guys sound like me. :laugh:

It's 2 coaches out of a cast of 10-12 who are not in major roles, and you act like it's the end of the world.

NO...you sound like US!

O-line is what drives the offense, you're supposed to upgrade your position coaches when going with a veteran, or at the very least hire an up and comer to take a shot. The skins o-line has injured the shit out of 4 qb's in 2 years with a decent coach in Callahan. This new guy doesn't instill confidence in keeping the qb's healthy at all imho.

Our young wr's have enough raw talent to overcome a bad position coach for the time being anyway. There could be several circumstances for these 2 coach's lack of production but to me they're not smart hires.

Last edited:
Jim Hostler has a strange record. When he's worked with TEs and RBs on their catching, the results were Tony Gonzalez, Ray Rice, Christian McCaffrey, all non receivers who could catch great.

As a WR coach, DJ Moore is by far the best statistical producer of anyone he coached, and he's only played for him 1 season, so that's unlikely to be because of his influence. Prior to that, it was Derrick Mason - who never cracked the top 15 in anything, and never cracked the top 20 in TDs.

So far that's 2 lackluster hires.

I have absolutely no idea how to compare trainers other than counting players on IR and how many weeks each player missed, then tallied them up. I know it's not even close to an accurate measurement but it's what I did so there.

Big surprise but we had the most players hit IR this season with 28, and they accounted for 282 weeks missed
Carolina had 19 players that accounted for 177 weeks missed

I'm all ears to another way to compare team trainers all the same, it seems we definitely landed on the better end with this fire-hire

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/2019/

Rivera found a lot of success with the Carolina Panthers. It looks like he's trying to replicate it in Washington - JP Finlay NBCSports Washington

I'm sorry, but I don't know anybody that would define 3 winning seasons out of 9 "a lot of success."

Eh, I'm used to it.
Every coach we've ever had, brings in buddies he's familiar with, regardless of talent

It's kind of how the NFL, and even many businessmen, work. They bring in who they know. Isn't always the best strategy...but it is quite common.

It's kind of how the NFL, and even many businessmen, work. They bring in who they know. Isn't always the best strategy...but it is quite common.

They bring who they know - which includes guys who have similar philosophies, whose capabilities they trust, and who they mesh with. I don't know many instances where a HC hires guys he has no personal experience with (I mean, unless it's Jay Gruden). They almost always go with folks they have worked with before. This is why KOC has always been a long shot for the OC spot (and probably should be).

Oh, I hope not....

Shurmur has had 3 stints w/3 different teams as OC. His first gig with St. Louis was unimpressive, bottom half of the league in yds and pts. 2nd gig was with Philly and he had top 5 offenses two years in a row in both yds, pts, and TDs. His last stint as an OC with the Vikings was middle of the road. Hard to judge OCs by just stats since their success is so depending on personnel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.