• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The More Things Change....................

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
yep, the more they stay the same.

Washington found itself in position to score more points than in previous contests, got good return yardage from the special teams thanks to Devin Thomas and mounted a credible rushing attack without Portis and Betts.

But in the end the same bugaboos that have attached themelves to this team in previous games undid the Redskins in the end.

One is Zorn's decisionmaking. He is simply making the wrong calls at the wrong time, seemingly against the flow of the game.

Last week, instead of running a third down play right before the half to get additional yardage for the field goal or try a shot at 7 points, he decided after a long official timeout iced his kicker, to try the FG anyway.

This week, with the Redskins ahead 14-13 but with the Eagles having made hay on a previous turnover by Campbell, Zorn decided with 52 seconds left to gamble rather than go into the locker room with the lead on the road.

Those extra 3 points the Eagles scored on the turnover FG were the difference at the end of the game.

And we can look to a fourth and one play at the end of the game, where Campbell went back to throw a pass when the club merely needed that single yard to continue the drive.

These circumstances yelled out for either a quarterback keeper, inside handoff out of the shotgun, or a quick pass to Fred Davis or to the back in the flat.

Instead in a slow-developing play the Eagles got pressure and Campbell underthrew Santana Moss. Game over.

The other characteristic of this club that has dogged it from the beginning of the season has been the inability of the defense to hold a lead in the fourth quarter.

True, the defense was without Hall and Haynesworth today.

But at the same time the Eagles were 90 yards away from a chance to tie the game with a touchdown and 2 point conversion.

The odds of scoring 7 or 8 points on a 90 plus yard drive in the NFL are not generally very good.

Unless you have outstanding offensive personnel.

Or unless you are facing a team that isn't going to go all out to pressure the quarterback but is going to go to a prevent zone and not get in the face of the passer.

Blache is coaching the Redskins defense to make the games close but isn't making those aggressive calls at the end of games to close them out so the team can get a 'W'.

His scheme works when the Redskins are facing Josh Johnson or Chris Simms but against Tony Romo or Donovan McNabb you aren't going to be very successful sitting back and hoping they are going to make the critical mistake at home with the game on the line.

PS. I have been a supporter of Landry to this point, hoping he was going to start playing more responsibly and under control, but he needs to be sat down. He is hurting the team on the field with his play. Evidently, there is no accountability demanded of him as his poor coverage and tackling continue unabated from week to week with little or no change.

Last edited:
This week, with the Redskins ahead 14-13 but with the Eagles having made hay on a previous turnover by Campbell, Zorn decided with 52 seconds left to gamble rather than go into the locker room with the lead on the road.

He couldn't even get that right. Between the time the Eagles third-down play got stopped and Zorn called timeout, I think 10 seconds ran off the clock. Horrible.

At no point during this game did I actually think the Redskins were going to win it. That's all I have to say about that.

Bully for you, BD2, to still be able to have a take on this team. I have no other different or original thoughts to write about this game or team.

I think what is most disheartening about your spot on analysis on Landry is he can tackle! On the goal line stance where they eventually scored on 3rd down, he had a hell of a stop where he hit the gap and stood Buckley straight up. He even wrapped his arms around him to keep him locked in.

I seriously think part of his problem at this point is the coaches fault for not making the effort to correct this errant type of play early in the season. If they would have disciplined him by benching his *** early in the year for making such foolish attempts to make the highlight reel, he may not be making the same foolish mistakes now.

Or maybe he would? Who really knows at this point? All I know is I watched his brother play tonight and he is looking a hell of a lot better!

Campbell is STILL staring down his receivers on 3rd down or when he knows there's going to be pressure. That happened on BOTH picks by Samuel.

Overall, Campbell played fairly well but not well enough to overcome some poor decisions by the coaching staff or well enough to hit wide open receivers when under pressure (like we saw Favre do all game against the Bears). Campbell has the ability to audible but either doesn't have the guts or the smarts in most key situations. On the last play of the first half, he could have had Rock stay in to block in order to ensure he had time to wing it to the endzone for a Hail Mary. Instead, Cartwright goes into the flat and Jason gets sacked by Trent Cole.

While I didn't have a problem with trying to drive down for more points just before halftime instead of running out the clock, I did have a problem with the conservative playcalling after the pick by Tryon. There was one nice play to Sellers for a first down but then we run on first and second down. On third down we max protect when they have 6 DB's (assuming I counted correctly). The result was Jason throwing the ball away and kicking a FG that only put us up by eight.

BD is right, it's the same thing we've seen all season. The difference is this time we had a chance to win against a good team. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory continues to be our 2009 trademark, in addition to playing up or down to our level of competition.

I have been a supporter of Landry to this point, hoping he was going to start playing more responsibly and under control, but he needs to be sat down. He is hurting the team on the field with his play. Evidently, there is no accountability demanded of him as his poor coverage and tackling continue unabated from week to week with little or no change.

Landry has simply got to learn how to play the game...which is pathetic for a player with as much experience as he has. I'm so sick of seeing him miss tackles I could puke. :puke:

Even though we really don't have a credible backup behind him at FS, I'd love to see him benched for a game just to send a message. At this point all we're playing for is draft position anyway so it's not like it really matters much.

The basic thing that is going to seal Zorn's fate (Like it wasn't sealed 4 games ago) is that he doesn't seem to get the concept of playing the percentages.

The decsion right before the half was just plain boneheaded and not much better than last week when, knowing Suisham was playing like hell, decided to try to get a 52 yard field goal on the road instead of playing the percentages and pinning Dallas deep.

I mean for cryin' out loud, we finally have a punter that can directionally kick AND has a higher average per punt than a high schooler.

USE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just one of a few examples of of the boneheadedness.

It's a big reason why Zorn won't be here next year

I'm going with the glass half full approach. For two weeks now been very pleased to see the team play hard and with heart. They need to learn how to win. Davis, Kelly, and Thomas are finally showing up.

I feel this team has become better by subtraction. With Portis out we seem to have better chemistry. Guys are giving a little extra. For some time feel Portis has been a cancer and a problem. Portis has talent and is a good back, but his attitude is something we don't need.

Zorn has made some questionable calls, but who knows who is making what calls with Vinny's system. This team could be much better if we had a half-decent GM.

I agree, BD.

For me, my moment of "I've seen this movie before ...." came in the 4th, after we got that INT on their 25 yard line, up by five, in prime position to put this game to bed.

After being initially excited about the pick, I'll glanced at the scoreboard, and quickly felt that all-too-familiar sense of dread that we wouldn't be able to put them away, settle for a FG, and eventually lose by 3.

It was so expected, so redundant, so us. Almost a repeat of the Dallas game, albeit with a bit more scoring, but really, a microcosm of this team.

Despite questionable coaching decisions, sloppy undisciplined play all over, and a less-than-inspiring performance from our quarterback, the defense keeps us in the game and gives us a chance to pull it out, but the offense can't hold up their end of the bargain, and the defense eventually runs out of gas and lets us down.

chemistry has definitely improved.

part of it is more blue collar players getting on the field and being hungry to make plays despite perhaps more limited overall talent.

remember Gibbs said that intelligence and work ethic were as important to him at a certain point as that extra tad of talent.

you can win in the NFL with 6-8 core talents and a set of complementary players that know their jobs and don't make mistakes.

just look at the 2000's Pittsburgh Steelers, winners of 2 Super Bowl titles this decade.

the Steelers under Cowher and Tomlin have fielded teams with those 6-8 core talents, pro bowl caliber players, and a large group of overachievers and guys that were willing to make the sacrifice.

you are going to see a lot of players on the current Redskins roster let go in the offseason, because as the evidence has shown the team can actually play better with some of the coddled vets out of the lineup.

you are going to see a lot of players on the current Redskins roster let go in the offseason, because as the evidence has shown the team can actually play better with some of the coddled vets out of the lineup.
From your keyboard to God's ears! I think this will happen if, and only if, Vinny's fired and Snyder hires a GM that has the smarts and the authority to build the roster properly, without regard for Snyder's personal favorites (Portis in particular).

As much as I agree with some of this, it isn't all chemistry. Levi Jones has been a legit starting LT in this league and is a clear upgrade over anyone who has played the position since Samuels went down. As LT is pretty much the most important position on the offense other than QB, this upgrade in talent cannot be ignored (not to mention Jones feels he has something to prove and is playing for his future in the league).

Nor do I think chemistry has much to do with the seeming improvement of the 3 second rounders from last year. All 3 contributed in positive ways against the Eagles. Thomas especially caught my eye. Once he gets the ball in his hands he runs with authority. Both Kelly and Davis had good games as well.

Maybe the largest change is the loss of Cooley. That has really taken away Campbell's security blanket and forced him to spread the ball around more. This can only lead to more good things as teams are forced to play all the skill guys on offense honest. If you don't know who will get the ball and are concerned with what any one of them can do with it once they have it, you are forced to spread the defense out leaving more room for guys to do something.

While I would love to see many "core" Redskins (off the top of my head: Portis and Campbell) let go this offseason, I don't know if the front office is at the same stage we are.

IE, sick and tired of being sick and tired.

While I would love to see many "core" Redskins (off the top of my head: Portis and Campbell) let go this offseason, I don't know if the front office is at the same stage we are.

I don't want change for the sake of change. I want a plan. I see no plan.

Me too. I'm sick and tired of breaking down exactly why we suck, which is why I've reduced my posts to two or three sentences each these days. :)

With Vinny in charge they will never be at the same stage as us. In fact, Vinny probably will ask Snyder what stage to be on.

The core of this team has shot its bolt. They did their best, it wasn't good enough, it wasn't always their fault and that's the long and short of it.

I'd like to have London Fletcher back and I'd like to have Jason Campbell back. When you look at the free agent class for QB in the offseason and they 3-year crapshoot with a 50% failure rate of drafting a QB high, the smart thing is to bring Campbell back. He won't earn a ton of money and at least you know what you're getting.

The core of this team has shot its bolt. They did their best, it wasn't good enough, it wasn't always their fault and that's the long and short of it.

I'd like to have London Fletcher back and I'd like to have Jason Campbell back. When you look at the free agent class for QB in the offseason and they 3-year crapshoot with a 50% failure rate of drafting a QB high, the smart thing is to bring Campbell back. He won't earn a ton of money and at least you know what you're getting.

You know, I am almost inclined to agree with you as far as bringing Campbell back. The FA class this year doesn't really offer much of an alternative. Unfortunately, I can see Danny Boy going after Colt McCoy and spending too much to do it. Will we have 2 Colts on this team next year? If Snyder hasn't learned his lesson it could be a reality!

I just had a cold chill run up my spine thinking of what a disaster that would be to draft Colt McCoy or even worse, Jim Claussen if/when he comes out, when we should be going after Okung!

Last edited:
The answer on Jason is simple. Make him an offer commensurate with his worth that will ensure the team sees draft picks in return if anyone signs him. He is, after all, a Restricted Free Agent. No need to get ridiculous with the money as Campbell really doesn't have a lot of options. Make the contract incentive laden so there isn't any payout if he isn't playing.

If a change of coaching staff happens, the new staff will have the latitude to play him, make him the backup to someone they bring either through FA or the draft or cut him outright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.