• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The effort to re-sign Fletcher

I'd like having him on the roster for another seasons or so to mentor his successors (whoever that might be), and think moving into coaching would be a great thing as well.
This.

We already lost our LB coach, which is gonna hit us harder than we expect. To lose both the off-field coach, and the on-field coach, at the same time, will be a major setback for the still developing LB corps.
Major setback.

Sign the man.
Two years.
And overpay him if you have to.

I have to say, all practicalities aside - Fletcher is my favorite Redskin of the past 10 years - and it's not even close.

It's gotta be close, at least. What about Philip Daniels as a close 2nd ? :)

That's a fine #2 - just don't think Phil (as much as I love him) has had the impact London has. Nice thought and he's certainly in the conversation :cheers:

I think we sign him to a short deal with a heavy bonus structure and low salary, we cant lose him because as much as he doesnt fit our system, the guy is a beast and still puts up numbers. I like the idea of retaining him as a LB coach as well, he has proven that he can play in any system and be effective and in the right system he was dominant at his job. I dont think there are any Lbs who we will get who would take his spot, so we need him for at least another year.

It's gotta be close, at least. What about Philip Daniels as a close 2nd ? :)

I agree with that, plus add Carriker as #3. Thing is the guys we named are all core and high character guys. Seeing their names on a short list isn't surprising.

We love ya Fletch! Teammates are sending you love. Large numbers of Redskins fans are sending you love. You are family. Come on back home!

If we don't re-sign Fletcher, the defense slides back to the bottom of the league.

If we don't re-sign Fletcher, the defense slides back to the bottom of the league.
Surprised to see you post that amigo---pretty bold statement.

Care to make the case?

I'd love to have him back, but good teams shed aging players before they lose a step. I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Wouild love him to finish his career here. I think the reality is that he is wanting more than we want to give. I think we will have to overpay to keep him, and I'm not sure we can do that. I hope I'm wrong. He'd be a great tutor and example to the younger guys.

Fletcher remind me of Darrell Green in that he always seems able to do the job. Age just doesn't appear to be a barrier to guys like them. I think we keep him until such time as he decides he can't do it anymore.

The 'Skins could learn from the Caps in this regard. Ovy and Semin loved having Federov around and worshiped the ground the guy walked on. When GMGM let him walk and go to the KHL for more money, it cost Ovy (in particular) the mentor he has never had to help him evolve his game.

It wouldn't hurt to throw a few bucks at Fletch to keep him around. Still can get it done and a terrific locker room guy to counterpart PD in the front office.

Nick

I think we need to consider that the notion that the Skins have to merely "throw a few bucks" his direction to get him to re-sign suggests 1) that they haven't already, and 2) that Fletch might think he's earned a bit more than that and is shopping his worth to other teams---as he probably should given this will be his last contract.

There's a pretty good possibility the team and Fletch have a dialogue going and will end up either re-marrying or separating based on critirea that are in the best interests of bothl.

I think you are absolutely right, Om. The only question now is how big is the market for 37 year old guy who just lead the league in tackles on a better than average defense?

I think Fletcher is going to end up elsewhere.

Philly and NE could use a tackle master in the middle.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Surprised to see you post that amigo---pretty bold statement.

Care to make the case?
Your Honor,

I submit that without London Fletcher, our defense will suffer a drop back down to the bottom of the league.

When the ill advised switch to the 3-4 was implemented, it was Fletch who likely prevented an all out veteran mutiny. As the leader, he had to be instrumental in getting the team to buy into, and keep working hard at, making it go. As one of the best students of the game this old fan has ever had the pleasure to cheer for, he probably knows the defense now as well as the coaches trying to teach it.

His example of drive and dedication is as good as it gets. I feel he has been very instrumental in the positive development of fellow linebackers Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Riley. I expect White to step it up this year as well. Hopefully we add another LB or two during FA/Draft. It is to their benefit that London is their tutor as well. If we do not re-sign the heart and soul leader of our team, I think the psychological hit to this group, as well as the rest of the defense, and the team in general, would be huge.

This guy helps align every defender on the field. LB's, secondary, and linemen. I doubt anyone currently on the roster, or anyone we could sign, or draft, could come close to doing the same, as well.

Now, I know that the coaches also deserve a lot of credit for last years climb out of our self inflicted gutter. Which is another strong reason to re-sign Fletch. We lost one of our best coaches when we lost LB coach Spanos. I believe the 3-4 switch would have been even worse if we hadn't had him to teach it to the LB's. His departure is gonna have an adverse affect, IMO. Maybe not fatal, but damn noticeable. Getting rid of Fletch, the on-field coach, on top of that will certainly magnify whatever impact it does have. Keeping as much continuity on defense, with the addition of Raheem Morris for the secondary, I feel, gives us the potential to be a top 5 defense with the players we already have. Any upgrades, and the sky's the limit.

In closing, as a fan, I am a son of George Allen & Joe Gibbs. I believe you reward veterans who have proven their worth to your team, on and off the field. At times you may wind up holding on to a guy a year too long. So what? Plenty of young guys get drafted and play 2-3 years, never being worth their pay. Besides, if London plays another year at the level he has been, it'll be worth a 2-3 deal. Even if the he starts to slip a little in the 2nd. At which time you move him to the sideline. Where you can pay him what you want.

And with that, for now, I rest my case.

I don't see him getting the kind of offer that's going to lure him away---not if the Skins are offering anything reasonable. Hard to see a contending team offering to pay him 2 or 3 years of starter money to come in at 37 and be a key cog in a title run. And hard to see HIM accepting that kind of offer from a doormat.

My hope is his best fit is here, and both he and the team recognize that and kind find a contract that makes sense for both sides.

Ax,

Appreciate you taking the time to write up that closing argument. I could suggest, I suppose, that the case you've made is 100% circumstantial or speculative, but I won't. That would be argumentative and unnecessary, since I happen to agree that he was probably the team's MVP over the past 2 years.

If I was as patient as you, I might be tempted to write up an argument for the proposition that, going forward into 2012, no modern NFL defense worth a damn would be that dependent on a 37 year old inside LB to keep from plummeting from the middle to the bottom of the NFL rankings...and do a quick real-time AND projected roster analysis to try to put some meat on them bones....but I won't.

Because dammit I think I like and respect Fletch as much as anyone here and I'd seriously bum myself out.

So...maybe we might try to find common ground is on what the team should be willing to pay to keep him in the fold?

If we were to frame a contract for him today, knowing what we think we know about the current cap situation and current roster, and project what we think the team might have in mind should they NOT be able to return Fletch...what should the Skins be offering?

And just as importantly, if we were counseling Fletch, what would we suggest he demand?

I'm not trying to sandbag you here, btw. If the announcement comes later this week that he has signed somewhere, I'm not sure where my "wow" line is on whether it's too much or too little. I honestly don't. All I've been trying to suggest all along is that to me this is more than a "pay the man" no-brainer. I'd like to think the Redskins are becoming a team that knows where that fine line is between using their hearts and using their heads to make hard roster decisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.