• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Deshaun Watson thread

I hear ya. I am just of the opinion that a great QB is never needed.

Kurt Warner was an above average QB but the level of talent around his was stellar
Brad Johnson was average but that defense was outstanding
Eli Manning - meh...but, that defense...RAAAWWRR LOL
Flacco

But, I do see the Russell WIlsons, the Bradys, the Rodgers and think they most definitely have something to do with it.

Can't give away the farm for one player.
If you do not have the means to build around him,what's the use in having him?

I think Redskins/WFT fans have been so starved for a long-term solution at QB that we may over value it. We had a little taste of it with Kirk Cousins but he always had one foot out the door when he had to play 2nd fiddle to Griffin for the first half of his rookie contract.

We were pretty ecstatic just to have Kirk who is probably at the lowest end of what one could consider a franchise QB.

It feels like we may never find our own QB. I hope they give Heinicke a real chance. He is the first guy in a long time we’ve had that looks like we may have caught lightning in a bottle with.

Facts!!!! A BBQ that will live...in...infamy!

I think Redskins/WFT fans have been so starved for a long-term solution at QB that we may over value it. We had a little taste of it with Kirk Cousins but he always had one foot out the door when he had to play 2nd fiddle to Griffin for the first half of his rookie contract.

We were pretty ecstatic just to have Kirk who is probably at the lowest end of what one could consider a franchise QB.

It feels like we may never find our own QB. I hope they give Heinicke a real chance. He is the first guy in a long time we’ve had that looks like we may have caught lightning in a bottle with.

The other thing to remember is that Ron Rivera, Martin Mayhew, Marty Hurney, and Kyle Smith did not draft RG3, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Heath Shuler, Kirk Cousins, or even Dwayne Haskins.

Rivera and Hurney drafted Cam Newton and Mayhew drafted Stafford. Granted they were both no. 1 overall but those two hits at QB are bigger than anything we've had in DC, arguably ever.

Hurney did take Clausen in the 2nd round the year before they took Cam but if I'm remembering correctly, Clausen falling was sort of a shock. He wasn't expected to be to be there so it was believed to be a bargain pick and Clausen flamed out allowing Carolina to get no. 1 overall.

I'm going to ride the fence on this one for now. If it ever becomes and serious possibility, and there are real indications what kind of price tag we'd be talking about, I'll break out the scales and see what side I come down on.

Meantime, I'm going to enjoy the mental image of a guy with that level of proven ability would look like in burgundy and gold. Been a dream a long time coming.

Liberated.

Proud of you, brother. :)

Appreciate that. Sometimes I just want a chicken breast for dinner. No way I am waiting for coals to heat up for that.

Sometimes I have a BBQ and want that good ol smell.

Football is still enough of a team sport that the team still has to be rather loaded to obtain a Super Bowl.

Since he reminds me of Roethlisberger, our team should be as good as the Super Bowl winning Steelers if we are going to bend over backwards for Watson.

I think it's clear we are not there.

LB corps is bad.
Safety is suspect and the depth is nonexistent. Collins is shaky and Apke sucks.
Even our Dline can't handle a division rival in the Giants O-line.
#1 WR we do have. McLaurin will be much better than Santonio Holmes. But down the depth chart, the WRs are severely lacking.
Oline is still pretty shaky as well.

If we pay a Jay Cutler price for Watson, we could become playoff makers, but not Super Bowl contenders.

Even Peyton Manning's Bronco bowl was a lot in part to the defense and Wade Phillips wrecking the competition.

Agreed in part. What you are not taking into consideration is the career trajectory UP for players like Chase Young, Antonio Gibson, Kamren Kurl, and even guys like Sweat and Payne that are still younger players.

The DL was not the problem against the run. The problem to me was the fact the team didn't have legitimate NFL starting linebackers to fill and drill, so to speak.

Holcomb is a great athlete and has speed but he needs to work on developing strength and gain overall experience as a pass defender as well.

But beyond him, when looking at Jon Bostic and KPL I am looking at two players that have mostly been backups and/or special teamers during their NFL careers.

If the Rams or Saints are far enough over the cap where they have to cut a veteran linebacker we should definitely be in the market.

But overall linebacker is a position where you can also find middle round picks that become pro bowlers.

It's a fickle position, a bit like running back where draft position is rarely a great determinant of NFL impact.

This team does not have a starting LT for 2021 unless Saadiq Charles comes on and claims the spot or perhaps we move Morgan Moses to the position full-time, a position he played in college and performed in pretty well for a stretch in 2020.

So, I agree OL is an area for offseason improvement.

But I would feel better acquiring a veteran quarterback and gamble on finding a starter on the OL in the draft or in free agency than I would be in drafting a OT at #19 and going with Kyle Allen as the starter in 2021.

I think Kyle has shown that he can come in and run the offense and not throw up on himself. But that to me grades as a top backup and spot starter, not a guy you go 'all in' for 16 games and expect to win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.