• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The biggest reason for Shannys failure so far?

Really? YOU need me to go through this again? :)

Ok, first thing I would have done is not traded away any more picks. If McNabb was merely a placeholder until we could get our future QB on the roster, well, he was a hell of an expensive one. He cost us picks, which could have been used to either pick more players or maneuver to get a QB, in the present or in the near future. Given that we were going to suck anyway I would have signed whoever was around and available to hand the ball off until I was able to draft someone. Rex Grossman immediately comes to mind. Then this year, with one of our five hundred picks grab a QB. Get 7th rounder if you want to wait until next year to get our real QB. I don't give a crap. Just get a young guy who you can send in there if Rex throws four interceptions, and then if he plays like utter crap you can at least chalk it up to the learning curve. Who knows? Maybe we'd actually get lucky for once.

But my thinking is, because we gave up picks for McNabb he wasn't a placeholder. We were actually going to build our team around him. In that case what I would have done differently is ... not do that. Given how insanely bare the cupboard was last year and how much we needed (and still need) to do to put together a decent team, starting with a 34 year old QB is about the last thing I'd have in mind.

my bust. not what I was asking. My starting point: McNabb. done deal. player under the bridge. what do you do from that point forward? as I recall...you were opposed to drafting QB in the first round. correct me if I am wrong. given that we cornered a stellar player in kerrigan...a good preference in retrospect. that said....the trade down strategy sort of took us out of the QB derby. that's ok. but what should Shanallen have done after the draft? what were their options? guess I'm saying fol: once the draft strategy was settled...the QB dilemma was pretty much in the cards. no sense slamming Shanahan for that.....a higher priority was accorded to rebuilding the defense and RB corps. I, of course, am making a major assumption that bringing some vet was off the table as well (why repeat the same mistake?).

my bust. not what I was asking. My starting point: McNabb. done deal. player under the bridge. what do you do from that point forward? as I recall...you were opposed to drafting QB in the first round. correct me if I am wrong. given that we cornered a stellar player in kerrigan...a good preference in retrospect. that said....the trade down strategy sort of took us out of the QB derby. that's ok. but what should Shanallen have done after the draft? what were their options? guess I'm saying fol: once the draft strategy was settled...the QB dilemma was pretty much in the cards. no sense slamming Shanahan for that.....a higher priority was accorded to rebuilding the defense and RB corps. I, of course, am making a major assumption that bringing some vet was off the table as well (why repeat the same mistake?).

Oh, yeah well the only thing I would have done differently was I would have kept at least one young guy on the roster who might actually have a chance of developing during the season. Keeping two middle-aged journeymen and nothing else ... I don't know. That just doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

For the record, I wasn't necessarily opposed to drafting a QB. I was just opposed to trading up for one. I did prefer the trade-down strategy we employed, however. That's definitely true.

But yeah, my main issue was the McNabb deal. The things we did this offseason up until today I'm not nearly as cranky about.

I still see alot of bitterness pointed at Snyder. Admittedly Snyder has managed to deserve alot of the blame since taking the ownership of our beloved Skins. It's my belief he took ownership of a decade long almost dynasty calibur team. That was the good news.
The Bad news...was the team was made up with aging roster of highly paid athletes and the NFL was entering an entirely new era in the NFL.... Salary caps!
Snyder had no ther choice but stick with Norv Turner as his first head coach due to the ownership not being resolved before mid summer. Those are the facts. Thats a pretty tough learning curve for anyone.
Snyder had his heart in the right place and more than willing spend money on the team. This will be way too long if I try to point out all the mistakes he's made with this team... That being said there have been how many different coaches since then? Turner, Robiske, Schottenheimer,Spurrier, the return of Gibbs, Zorn and now Shannahan.
Clearly the Cerrato/Snyder team being the brains of the operation was a comedy of errors! Starting with Gibbs, Snyder appeared to relinquish some control of the team. Gibbs supposedly had the final say in all matters relating to the roster and coaching staff.
I actually believe that to be true. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I still feel Gibbs made a huge mistake in not going to Patrick Ramsey instead of even signing Brunnell. Was Ramsey a Qb that Gibbs could win with? Who knows? Was Brunnell?
All that being considered I sincerly believe Snyder is behind the scenes where he belongs... with an all in mentality for whatever the coach and gm require. I have no issues with our ownership at this time.

Essentially we took Kerrigan AND Jenkins instead of Gabbert OR Ponder who would have both been available when we picked at 10. neither were available when we selected Kerrigan. Remember we didn’t have a 2nd rounder last year at all until we traded down. Jenkins was on track to contribute right away and you’d have to consider Kerrigan a success at this point. When put in that context it’s hard to argue with what they did here.

I thought that we might have picked up a developmental QB later in the draft but it’s clear that Allen and company thought that we could still find guys who could make the team and contribute very late in the draft. Neild made the team and he was taken second from last overall. It’s always nice to see a guy taken that late make the team but it speaks more to how poor our talent level was/is than how good he is.

Failure at qb.

McNabb didn't work out and instead of signing a Matt Hasselbeck for 1-2 years as a bridge decided to go with Rex and John.

I didn't expect the team to be able to find a franchise qb until the 2012 draft, but we could have done better than this.

In the NFL when the other players see there is no hope at qb, the morale of the team usually collapses.

I think that is what happened here.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

and who decided to go into this season with no real signings on oline? foerester is junk btw, Oline coaching is not easy especially a zbs, he is out of his depth.

I guess a starting RG only counts as a ficticious signing... alrighty then.

But here's something interesting ... a quick look at Foeresters resume reveals 26 years experience and O-line / offensive coordinator / TE coach and assistent head coaching stints with 7 different NFL teams. Wow.

Btw, where's your resume?

really? thats your come back? seriously? I could probably start at guard for this team, given i have a bum knee and am not in the best shape ive been in thats pretty sad, and im almost not even kidding. chester wouldnt start on any other team, I am assuming you are talking about chester. his reason for being signed? he runs a good 40, the thing is, he gets blown up in the run game and cant block his own shadow. try again. we decided to run a zbs but foerester obviously cant teach the technique, the proof is in the pudding. Rhinehart was let go by us but is thriving in buffalo, I wonder why that is?

foerester is junk as a zbs coach, in the NFL quite often you see these recycled never weres coaching as position coaches im not the one presiding over what may be the worst unit on the team and has been for a while now, foerester is, so its even worse that a guy like me can point out these things.

but hey its all good because he has 26 years of experience at sucking. mayb we can sign him to an extension

The handling of the QB position has been terrible repeatedly. Mistake 1 was trading for McNabb. Mistake 2 was pulling McNabb in the Detroit game. Mistake 3 was not having 1 young QB on the roster going into this season. I loved the Kerrigan pick, but they should have at least taken a QB with a later pick. Mistake 4 was switching to Beck when the team had a winning record. Mistake 5 will now be stubbornly sticking with Beck just b/c he said that beck would be the QB for the rest of the season, even though Beck is terrible.

Shanny has done some things well. He does have them working much harder, and I like a lot of the young talent he has brought in, but he's totally blown it with the QB and the fact that he didn't do more to improve the oline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.