• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The BBQ Thread

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Can you believe that we don't have one of these? Sure - there's a very popular 'What's for Dinner?' thread but BBQ is it's own special thing and it's something any card carrying American male pretty much should have an interest in (or consider turning in your card). And of course, I'll bet some of our better halves here may also have an interest.

Charcoal, gas, grill, smoker, whatever your weapon of choice is, this is where we will talk about it.

2 people. 2 rack of back ribs. Because symmetry.

Tossing these on the BGE with a bit of yellow mustard and a storebought rub I haven't seen or tried before ('Famous Dave's Rib Rub'). The packaging says to 'Use it on everything' so I just brushed my teeth with it (can't recommend - but am hopeful it'll be good on the pork :)). Just using a smaller chunk of cherry wood because I don't like overwhelming smoke on my meat, but a little is magical.

Making a homemade BBQ sauce for it while it smokes.

ribs.jpg

One word for a marinade base, Worcestershire, yet you're trying to say it correctly, good fish oil

I do have 'wistersheeeeer' in my BBQ sauce FTW

right now we have a gas grill up on the deck, but the wife knows once we build our backyard area it will have a built in charcoal grill as well as pizza oven.

If you haven't tried Old Bay Hot Sauce, please do so ASAP. It is good on anything and everything you cook on the grill.

we do kabobs (chicken/shrimp/potato/pepper/onion) every Sunday with grilled asparagus, as well as throw on chicken legs/thighs, steaks, and pork chops. It helps keep the kitchen cool as well as...you just can't beat the BBQ taste.

So easy to use as a base for a rub, soaks in quick then sprinkle the magic and bag it, I might be biased based off my lineage lol....a joke to my last name, since everyone so tense, but Tarhizzle wheres the mead

I haven't made it in years... it is sort of a pain to make. Got 15 gallons of homebrew ready for a week at the beach though. #winning

Does calling in a to go order from Capital Grille count?

Been grilling a lot lately because the weather is hot and cooking over a fire with a beer is pretty great.

Lot of salmon last week because it was on sale. Got some tuna this week that I'm looking forward to.

My parents just got their offer on a house about 13 minutes away accepted; I have a beef tenderloin in the basement freezer I've been saving for a celebratory dinner when they close and move. Looking like Labor Day may be when that bad boy gets pulled out.

Also have a 15lb brisket I've been saving too. Gonna be eating good over the next couple of months.

Smoked a butt today, in addition to a spatchcocked chicken... forgot to take after photos... too hungry

Have I ever told you about 'brick chicken' Derek?

You take your spatchcocked chicken, and you put it on the grill and place something heavy on top of it. I use a cast iron griddle plate, but a brick or anything heavy (you can wrap it in aluminum foil if need be) will work. I usually use lowest direct heat possible below the bird, and higher on the edges. The 'brick' gets very hot and it sort of sears the entire bird. You'll get a crust on the bird like nothing you've ever had. I do this with a peruvian chicken recipe I have and it is like crack when it's done. Best way to cook chicken ever.

You take your spatchcocked chicken, and you put it on the grill and place something heavy on top of it. I use a cast iron griddle plate, but a brick or anything heavy (you can wrap it in aluminum foil if need be) will work. I usually use lowest direct heat possible below the bird, and higher on the edges. The 'brick' gets very hot and it sort of sears the entire bird. You'll get a crust on the bird like nothing you've ever had. I do this with a peruvian chicken recipe I have and it is like crack when it's done. Best way to cook chicken ever.

Yes I have heard of that, never done it myself. Gonna have to try it. You get the cast iron hot before you put it on the bird right? Or does it go on and heat up gradually?

You can do it either way. I usually leave it on the grill as it's warming up. Basically, you are searing the bird from both top and bottom with this method. The chicken will literally fall off the bone and the crust on it is amazing.

You can do it either way. I usually leave it on the grill as it's warming up. Basically, you are searing the bird from both top and bottom with this method. The chicken will literally fall off the bone and the crust on it is amazing.

do you use a timer or do you do the meat thermometer and pull it at ~165 in the breasts?

I kind of shoot for 45 minutes but honestly I do it more by how it looks and feels.

I always cook salmon skin down on the grill, and then use a metal spatula to separate the meat from the skin and flip it back onto the skin to finish up. Works great. I tried a cedar plank a couple of times, but it burned so never really got that method down. I assume it doesn't really impart flavor?

I always cook salmon skin down on the grill, and then use a metal spatula to separate the meat from the skin and flip it back onto the skin to finish up. Works great. I tried a cedar plank a couple of times, but it burned so never really got that method down. I assume it doesn't really impart flavor?
Did you soak your cedar planks? I soak mine in water for about an hour. Once I smell the cedar it takes about 10-12 minutes. I keep a squirt bottle handy just in case one of the boards does catch fire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.