• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tea Party-Just Who The Heck Are They?

I've been pretty objective so far in this thread, like it or not. And as far as thinking lapses, not really sure where you're going with that one, you'll have to expand your thoughts.

objective? We'll let that one slide in the name of Redskin comity.

but along other lines...I forgot to mention in my previous post:

I love Coulter! Right/Wrong doesn't matter to me. She serves a purpose quite well: she irritates the living *rap out of Liberals and that amuses me to no end. Kinda like an Olberman to the Left only with real authorship and truly wicked "skeweristic" abilities.

anywho...save your money Lanky! You're going to need to squirrel away a bundle as the economy continues to deteriorate and tax increases start to whipsaw things even worse next year. that's what I and millions of others are doing.

btw....you think it would be ok to proactively award the 2011 SB to the Skins? It's the trendy thing to do...no?

I'll give the left that much. The hippie movement was pretty much the start. But as for the other movements, they've been comprised of mostly out of the mainstream groups, anti-war, gay pride, pro illegals etc.

The Tea Party is mainly comprised of every day, Joe Average Americans who see government as becoming too big and too intrusive, along with being fiscally out of control.

And yes, it's been fiscally out of control for a long time, but Obama's spending has pushed that to a new level. One from which we may not recover if we don't get some people in government that exercise some control and get a grip on spending

oh pls...populist "grass roots" movements have been part of the American fabric for over a 100 years. Moveon just improved upon the more exploitative features of such movements through mastery of modern communications technologies. we won't delve into what influence the Soros of the world who cashed Moveon have had. like these ideological movements tend to be (Left or Right) - they twist the facts, outright lie, operate to destroy reputations, etc., etc. but they saved Clinton's bacon!!!!

Sarge....the Dems/Libs BELIEVE as a core principle of political economy that government spending is the cure - not only for economic downturns but for promoting social justice (by their lights) and social progress as well. the latter trumps short-term nuisances like cavernous deficits. so far...it appears that some analysts who argued that the government I multiplier appears to be less than 1 are correct. why is it...btw...that less than half the stimulous money has been spent but the Prez is asking for more? academics aside......the rest of the developed world appears to be questioning the Keynsian "spend all of Sarge's money" approach to justice also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well fansince62, since you didn't address any of my post and simply hid behind calling what you said sarcasm, I will take from it that you agree completely. :)

From my point of view, that fact that the movement even sprang up is a statement in and of itself.

To me it says the people that are running the government have gone too far.

When Repubs had complete control, you didn't see populous movements spring up and go marching. But now you do.
About this we fully agree...just not about the reasons. Where you see the cause as government run amok, I see it as a group of kooks, luddites, and the uninformed that seemingly swallowed W's big government spending with barely even token resistance and in some cases support. So for example, they continued to support W. after it became apparent that he lied to get us into a potential quagmire in Iraq while ignoring the botched legitimate war in Afghanistan. Then there's the deafening silence and/or support for W's shredding of the constitutional limits to Presidential power, allowing Cheney to expand the powers of the V.P. and most blatantly for the purposes of this discussion, the passing of the Patriot Act.

W. did all this and Obama is now somehow the anti-Christ that's going to enslave America to do the will of George Soros and the Trilateral Commission? Really? :rolleyes: Mind you I'm not necessarily opposed to any or all of the policies above, I'm merely making the point regarding your contention that it's the growth of Federal size and intrusiveness that's at the heart of the Tea Party's anger. Were that really the case, they'd have been marching in the streets years ago during W's administration.

So then what's really the motivation behind the movement? Could it just possibly be that certain big business and political interests are manipulating this segment of the public using their innate paranoia along with the anger brought about by the economic collapse to their own ends? Naaahhh, that couldn't be it.

yea...your sense for sarcasm is well developed. And I don't care at this point. Your biases and thinking lapses have been documented - gratis...thank you very much - in this thread!
I find it more than a little interesting that someone that refers to our government as being "terrorist" could actually have the cojones to refer to someone else as being biased. You do realize that bias applies to Libertarianism/anarchists and pretty much anyone else with an opinion as well, right?

In general I agree with the idea of smaller, less intrusive government. Heck, I've even got a pretty healthy anti-establishment, anti-authoritarian streak myself. Ever seen my comments about cops? ;) However, when you get to the point of thinking that our government is "terrorist", that's waaaaay over the line into hyperbole...though it certainly sounded as though you really meant it.

Just sayin'.
You are way off here - the Left invented the modern day "grass-roots movement." See the Green Party, MoveOn.org, etc.
I'd beg to differ. This country has had populist grass movements from the very beginning and IMHO this phenomenon has nothing to do with the right or left side of the political spectrum. It's just part of who we are. After all, that's how we got our independence from the British and the tradition has continued over the years.

On the flip side, there's a darker side to grass roots movements like this as well, e.g. McCarthyism, The Temperance Movement, The KKK/Dixiecrats, and Schlafly's defeat of the women's movement (off the top of my head).

About this we fully agree...just not about the reasons. Where you see the cause as government run amok, I see it as a group of kooks, luddites, and the uninformed that seemingly swallowed W's big government spending with barely even token resistance and in some cases support.

I would venture to say that most folks that are Tea Party members or sympathizers were the same ones that sent Repubs packing in 08, for spending too much.

And I'm not a kook

So for example, they continued to support W. after it became apparent that he lied to get us into a potential quagmire in Iraq while ignoring the botched legitimate war in Afghanistan.

We hashed this out on the other board. To this day I'll still say the Iraqi's were hiding/moving something around. Satellite pics don't lie

Then there's the deafening silence and/or support for W's shredding of the constitutional limits to Presidential power, allowing Cheney to expand the powers of the V.P. and most blatantly for the purposes of this discussion, the passing of the Patriot Act.

Which Obama renewed. Who's the villian? Even Obama recognized the necessity of the Patriot Act. But then, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile

W. did all this and Obama is now somehow the anti-Christ that's going to enslave America to do the will of George Soros and the Trilateral Commission? Really? :rolleyes: Mind you I'm not necessarily opposed to any or all of the policies above, I'm merely making the point regarding your contention that it's the growth of Federal size and intrusiveness that's at the heart of the Tea Party's anger. Were that really the case, they'd have been marching in the streets years ago during W's administration.

Obama has TRIPLED the size of an already swollen deficit

So then what's really the motivation behind the movement? Could it just possibly be that certain big business and political interests are manipulating this segment of the public using their innate paranoia along with the anger brought about by the economic collapse to their own ends? Naaahhh, that couldn't be it.

I thnk all politicians are afraid of this movement, both Dems and Repubs. Already Repub party RINOS have ben shown the door in some primaries. And Dems, they're running for their lives.

I find it more than a little interesting that someone that refers to our government as being "terrorist" could actually have the cojones to refer to someone else as being biased. You do realize that bias applies to Libertarianism/anarchists and pretty much anyone else with an opinion as well, right?

In general I agree with the idea of smaller, less intrusive government. Heck, I've even got a pretty healthy anti-establishment, anti-authoritarian streak myself. Ever seen my comments about cops? ;) However, when you get to the point of thinking that our government is "terrorist", that's waaaaay over the line into hyperbole...though it certainly sounded as though you really meant it.

The Founders knew what government was capable of, and knew they could take over the people if allowed to grow powerful enough. That's why they came up with the 2nd Amendment.

"We hashed this out on the other board. To this day I'll still say the Iraqi's were hiding/moving something around. Satellite pics don't lie."

You know, I talked to a J2 who was on a senior staff out in that part of the world at that time. He said the same as you only with a bit more content. we'll never know.

"I find it more than a little interesting that someone that refers to our government as being "terrorist" could actually have the cojones to refer to someone else as being biased. You do realize that bias applies to Libertarianism/anarchists and pretty much anyone else with an opinion as well, right?"

Could be..:)....then again...it provoked the reaction I intended. That said...you can't deny that (with the sole exceptions of sex with any object living/dead and unfettered abortion) Liberals don't really give a rat's patout about the individual. They are more than anxious to use legislative, judicial and executive powers to assert their normative dictates for "social justice" (i.e., a group abstraction). And those powers don't mean squat without some enforcement muscle standing behind them. Take the seemingly positive, in vogue, notion of "regulation". well.....regulation is toothless without tools to monitor, detect and enforce. At what point does regulation become an untenable trade-off with liberty? Why, one day, many of us will wake up and note "there's just about one or more video recorders on every corner and stoplight in all major cities." You have no privacy. Not the America I grew up in.

I think you are applying too much of a binary approach. There is bias...and THEN THERE IS BIAS!

Anywho...getting to the crux of the matter...no matter where the Tea Partiers fall on the legitimacy scale...the guys & gals in power now are amazingly incompetent. Perhaps America will reflect more deeply next time about electing someone with ZERO real leadership experience or any substantive achievements on the National level or professionally.

"We hashed this out on the other board. To this day I'll still say the Iraqi's were hiding/moving something around. Satellite pics don't lie."

You know, I talked to a J2 who was on a senior staff out in that part of the world at that time. He said the same as you only with a bit more content. we'll never know.

I would LOVE, LOVE to do content. I really would. But then, someone would have to kill me. Or more likely I could go to jail and/or lose my clearance.

No clearance, no job

"Which Obama renewed. Who's the villian? Even Obama recognized the necessity of the Patriot Act. But then, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile"

Obama didn't renew it...he extended it! Bush souht to tap overseas phonecalls to certain parts of the world. Obama and Napolitano want to extend the monitoring actions domesticly.

I would LOVE, LOVE to do content. I really would. But then, someone would have to kill me. Or more likely I could go to jail and/or lose my :).

No :), no job

dude...don't list your clearances on a football msg board! just sayin brotha. this whole conversation about monitoring? it's happening. trust me on that one.

dude...don't list your clearances on a football msg board! just sayin brotha. this whole conversation about monitoring? it's happening. trust me on that one.

Eh, probably not the brightest of ideas, but anyone that really got serious could find out or take a good WAG. Nonetheless, edited.

Thanks

fansince62, in light of your heads-up to Sarge, you probably need to edit your post #30 the quote of Sarge's post includes the unnecessary-for-public-view info.

I'd beg to differ. This country has had populist grass movements from the very beginning and IMHO this phenomenon has nothing to do with the right or left side of the political spectrum. It's just part of who we are. After all, that's how we got our independence from the British and the tradition has continued over the years.

On the flip side, there's a darker side to grass roots movements like this as well, e.g. McCarthyism, The Temperance Movement, The KKK/Dixiecrats, and Schlafly's defeat of the women's movement (off the top of my head).

Which is why I qualified it with "modern," aka internet grass-roots movements. :)

fansince62, in light of your heads-up to Sarge, you probably need to edit your post #30 the quote of Sarge's post includes the unnecessary-for-public-view info.

tried and convicted!

good catch...:blush:

All politics aside...Yusuf and Cranky Lanky...have a great 4th!!!

OK, so there's another point we can all agree on. Mine is bound to be a bit "interesting" as I'm having a wisdom tooth removed tomorrow. Yeah, loads of fun. :(

I hope you'se guys all have a great 4th though.

OK, so there's another point we can all agree on. Mine is bound to be a bit "interesting" as I'm having a wisdom tooth removed tomorrow. Yeah, loads of fun. :(

I hope you'se guys all have a great 4th though.

Ouch! Get the rest taken out while you're at it. It'll save you the trouble down the road

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.