• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

TBL : Robert Griffin III: Why Aren’t His Linemen Helping Him Up This Year?

I don't know if this is as telling as people are making it out to be. Doesn't seem he needed to be helped up in many of those clips. Should he be helped up after every knock down ? Could be a pride thing.... the "I can take it" mind set. Who knows...

We're under a microscope, and somebody somewhere will find issue with dam near anything, put it out there for all to see, and make something out of nothing.

He's not getting any help before he hits the ground, either.

Bottom line is four of them absolutely suck and I'm pretty well convinced the fifth just looks relatively good.

Nick

That is pretty interesting where they show last years picture and 3 of the linemen run over to help him up and this year they all just stand there, walk away while looking over their shoulder, or just kick turf with their hands on their hips.

I think the OL and maybe most of the team is blaming him for not getting rid of the ball.

That is pretty interesting where they show last years picture and 3 of the linemen run over to help him up and this year they all just stand there, walk away while looking over their shoulder, or just kick turf with their hands on their hips.

I think the OL and maybe most of the team is blaming him for not getting rid of the ball.

No - I think it's more likely that they are embarrassed they are getting thrashed and getting their QB crushed constantly. I'm not sure where the idea that Griffin's teammates don't like, respect, or support him is coming from. There is going to be tension when we're not playing well and losing. But to suggest the O lineman are ambivalent to their QB getting beat up...I just don't see that. Watch the sideline interactions between Rg3 and his teammates. There is no issue there from what I see. I also give Griffin a ton of credit for not expressing frustration or anger towards his linemen during or after the game. He's a frigging saint if you ask me. Very few QBs would take the beating he's taking and not go off out there.

And yeah, he holds onto the ball too long at times - but that's hardly the primary issue. Our O line cannot pass protect!

I heard the same thing on the NFL Network last night. His linemen are not helping him up because they dont like how he is speaking and not taking responsibility, he is holding the ball too long and they dont think its their fault, and other things.

i say **** that...get your fat asses over there and help the QB up. Staley does it EVERY play! when krapperneck was hit late by Matthews he wasnt even all the way back standing when Staley hit Clay for that cheap shot. Not us...Griff lays there on the ground and then helps himself up.

Id cut everyone buy 71. But Williams better start helping Griff up. Whos the OL coach that isnt teaching that?!

And how exactly would anyone on the NFL network know why (assuming it's even accurate to say they aren't helping him up) that is occurring? Just because it's on TV or some sports talking head or former player says it, doesn't make it so.

Hey Mike, doesn't Rivers kind of have that reputation in San Diego? For being a prick and yelling at his teammates all the time? Do they help him up?

There's a big part of me that thinks this is an overblown, media-driven non-story. Most of me, in fact. I do think Robert broke some sort of "code" ten days ago after the Eagles game by alluding to the fact that on the last play he had no protection, but apparently they weren't helping him up before that anyway, so I'm not sure we can blame this on that situation.

I think John is mostly right, that the OLine is ashamed of themselves because they suck, and probably would expend more effort picking Robert up than actually blocking someone. I also think they see the press and hear the fans blaming them for everything, and are probably tired of hearing about how badly they suck. We've got some good depth players playing starter's minutes, and that's the problem.

hey man, I'm just saying what they said. I didnt say it was truth or the be all end all of the issue.

I do believe some of what they have to say..that there is a problem between the line and Griff...but I dont know if it is a lack of respect thing. These same guys also said it was no big deal that Griff's dad was in the locker room after the game.

And they are absolutely right about helping your QB up regardless of whats going on. When we played GB and Griff had his helmet knocked off, stepped on, and then the player was sitting on top of him....71s job is to get him off your ****ing QB and get him up out of the dirt. I dont care what you think of him or how embarrassed you are.

I agree with most of that. Honestly, if I were Griffin I would be in those lineman's face after every sack - id fricking shame them into playing better. What are they going to do - stop blocking for you? They've already done that. It's incredible to me that Shanahan isn't threatening linemen with their jobs when they are letting a gazillion dollar QB - the first star QB we've had in forever who's coming off ACL surgery- get absolutely pummeled. It's outrageous.

The Redskins offensive linemen through their performances don't deserve any room to vent any frustration with others.

Against the 49ers remember the play where Griffin goes back to pass and Aldon Smith is already on his back as he tries to turn around and set up?

That's on Griffin for failing to make proper reads?

Give me a break.

A couple of weeks ago Chester and Montgomery made 34 year old DT Kevin Williams look like Reggie White with 3 sacks and stuffing the Redskins at the goal line for Minnesota.

When you field a unit of discards from other teams this is usually what you can expect in terms of performance.

It's a line of backups and practice squad quality talent.

griffin is being pushed back 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage on a regular basis.

his linemen aren't helping him up because they're no where near him when he gets tackled because he's running for his life every god damned play.

i'm convinced people that write articles like this don't even watching the ****ing games.

griffin is being pushed back 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage on a regular basis.

his linemen aren't helping him up because they're no where near him when he gets tackled because he's running for his life every god damned play.

i'm convinced people that write articles like this don't even watching the ****ing games.

I think that's a pretty accurate description.

That just isn't true. Did you watch those videos ?
Have you watched the actual games? What percentage of plays do you think griffin is near his own guys always he's on the ground?

I don't need to watch cherry picked videos to know that there isn't a respect/relationship issue with griffin and his teammates.

Have you watched the actual games? What percentage of plays do you think griffin is near his own guys always he's on the ground?

I don't need to watch cherry picked videos to know that there isn't a respect/relationship issue with griffin and his teammates.

Yes I have.
And cherry picked videos or not, helping your QB up should be a habit - it shouldn't be the lineman that "cherry pick" when to help him up.

What I don't get, is why we only have ONE true Fullback on the roster.
You'd think a FB would be an important position to assist our overwhelmed lineman, but Young gets hurt, and we have no true FB to take his place.
The absence of a FB sure was evident Monday Night

Last edited:
Good point. I was shocked when we went for it on fourth and less than two yards in the third quarter and didn't slide Paulsen over to the FB position. All we did is bring Aldrick Robinson closer to the line. When I saw that formation, I just figured it was going to be a hard count to draw an offsides penalty or a delay of game. It was pathetic.

Good point. I was shocked when we went for it on fourth and less than two yards in the third quarter and didn't slide Paulsen over to the FB position. All we did is bring Aldrick Robinson closer to the line. When I saw that formation, I just figured it was going to be a hard count to draw an offsides penalty or a delay of game. It was pathetic.

I was hoping that play was going to be a hard play-action with our TEs slipping out for a couple yards. I couldn't believe what they called there. We had been doing well in the short passing, and they thought we were going to run it even....

I wonder how 2 NFL seasons of not being able to step up into a pocket is for the career arc of a QB? Didn't work so well for Patrick Ramsey, thats for sure.... David Carr?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.