• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tandler: Haslett says he'll turn Orakpo and Kerrigan loose

When I first read the headline that's exactly what I thought was being suggested FTS. I had a little "This confirms that Haslett is an idiot" moment, then I actually read the article.

;)

after 4 years of not getting what he wanted out of orakpo, we're now supposed to believe haslett will do it this year?

even if shanahan was controlling him that much, that just tells me haslett has no sack. ( ;) )
this whole "everything was shanahan's fault and now that the wicked witch is gone we can be a great team" is getting a little... suspicious.

But we've been getting the best player on our defense out of him, and ten plus sacks a year, when healthy (while rushing the passer far less than the DeMarcus Ware's of the league). He's not the greatest in coverage, but no LBs are. Especially in the age of the hybrid WR/TE.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

now he's a ten sack plus a year guy?

Yes, when has he not been? In the three years he played all 16 games, he averaged exactly ten sacks pet year. And when he played injured in 2011 (and only 15 games), he came close with 8.5. And this was all on terrible defenses, mostly being (apparently) limited by Shamahan.

If Haz is allowed to set him loose, and actually scheme to his strengths, I don't see any reason he won't come close to doubling those numbers.

Yes, when has he not been? In the three years he played all 16 games, he averaged exactly ten sacks pet year. And when he played injured in 2011 (and only 15 games), he came close with 8.5. And this was all on terrible defenses, mostly being (apparently) limited by Shamahan.

If Haz is allowed to set him loose, and actually scheme to his strengths, I don't see any reason he won't come close to doubling those numbers.

He played 16 games twice, 15 games twice.

Over those 4 seasons he got 38.5 sacks.

That's hardly 10 plus. It's not even 10.

Well, I'm glad the answer to Haslett not setting Brian Orakpo free to be a devasting force is to bring back both Haslett and Orakpo.

He played 16 games twice, 15 games twice.

Over those 4 seasons he got 38.5 sacks.

That's hardly 10 plus. It's not even 10.

Well, I'm glad the answer to Haslett not setting Brian Orakpo free to be a devasting force is to bring back both Haslett and Orakpo.

Ah, I thought he played 16 games this past season. 10 sacks in 15 games only reinforces my point, however. In the two seasons he played all 16 games, he averaged exactly ten.

We are stuck with Haz for whatever reason. No sense arguing that point, I'd like him gone as much as the next guy. Bringing back Rak doors go hand in hand with bringing back Haz, though. What if he really was hamstrung by Shamahan? Then what?

We are stuck with Haz for whatever reason. No sense arguing that point, I'd like him gone as much as the next guy. Bringing back Rak doors go hand in hand with bringing back Haz, though. What if he really was hamstrung by Shamahan? Then what?

Then I would be wrong and would let a 27 year old former first round draft pick walk after having him for 4 seasons.

I just don't think he's elite. He hasn't shown me he's elite.

If given the option of missing a year or two of someone's prime vs opting into a long term high dollar deal for a guy that underperforms... I'll miss the year or two of prime. Quality organizations seem to do be able to do option number 1 all the time. Poor organizations seem to be constantly revolving around option #2 players...

But then again, this may just be part of the reason why I'm not an NFL scout/GM :)

I mean, Haz knows football. He may be a bum coordinator, but he knows enough to have had several teams hand over the reigns of their defenses (and entire teams in some cases), so he must know something. He thinks Rak is elite, and that has to count for something...

I mean, Haz knows football. He may be a bum coordinator, but he knows enough to have had several teams hand over the reigns of their defenses (and entire teams in some cases), so he must know something. He thinks Rak is elite, and that has to count for something...

He's talking about a current player, of course he's going to say that. If he said anything different then he should be fired on the spot.

I would expect all of our coaches to talk overly positive about the players on our team in front of the camera. I'm not going to take it as an accurate reflection on the ability, potential, or value of a player from that.

I don't have nearly as much of a problem with Haslett as many other fans do. But... I also liked Shanahan and, until the drama got out of control, wanted him back. And I still think Kyle Shanahan is a bright OC that got a bad rap and might have seen his career destroyed by our organization. So what the **** do I know?

He's talking about a current player, of course he's going to say that. If he said anything different then he should be fired on the spot.

I would expect all of our coaches to talk overly positive about the players on our team in front of the camera. I'm not going to take it as an accurate reflection on the ability, potential, or value of a player from that.

I don't have nearly as much of a problem with Haslett as many other fans do. But... I also liked Shanahan and, until the drama got out of control, wanted him back. And I still think Kyle Shanahan is a bright OC that got a bad rap and might have seen his career destroyed by our organization. So what the **** do I know?

Just as much as I do... :)

You know what they say about opinions....

the bottom line is that you dont build your defence around an OLB who averages less than 10 sacks a season and is primarily a pass rusher. I think Rak would be a beast end in a scheme that helped him a bit, but as an OLB he simply lacks the pass rush moves and makes up for it with strength and motor. he feasts on weaker tackles but against the good ones he gets shut down hard. the issue is we cant afford to lose him, our d is gonna suck bad enough with him here.

From the article:

One side note from here—Haslett seems very confident that he will be coaching Orakpo, who is slated to be a free agent in March. Perhaps Haslett knows that the Redskins are going to keep Orakpo around one way (a contract agreement) or another (franchise tag).

Griffin is 23. Morris is 23. Reed was a rookie. Garcon is only 27. Williams is 26.

Why with key players that young do we have to look to bring back other guys and pay them more than they are worth just to hope to be incrementally better?

This team won 3 games with this defense.

We are not going to turn into a top 10 unit by bringing back the band and adding a inside linebacker, safety and third corner.

This defense needs a personnel overhaul.

I would not pay Riley or Orakpo franchise tag salaries or anything close to it.

I disagree.

I think our coaches should be more measured int their praise than Haslett was. He went too far, in my opinion. You pretty much almost never, as a coach, should be naming ANY players as "must haves" or anything close. To me, that is something that would really anger me if I was the owner or GM of the team. Those were really stupid comments to make, and I'd question the man's intelligence for making them.

Yes, you should be complimentary. You want these players to feel respected and appreciated, it only helps promote the team as a place to land as well. That said, you do not hamstring the negotiating process by being overly effusive in praising those same players; in my opinion, that line is one that Haslett went well over.

I don't believe this is true. Bring in a legit NT, replace the MLB (or do as best you can, there is no replacing Fletcher), and change out a couple pieces in the secondary. If they do that, this defense can be top 10-15, which is all they need to be competitive.

With Fletcher playing at a high level, this defense was good enough to win 7 in a row and the division, even without ROY Griffin.

Griffin is 23. Morris is 23. Reed was a rookie. Garcon is only 27. Williams is 26.

Why with key players that young do we have to look to bring back other guys and pay them more than they are worth just to hope to be incrementally better?

This team won 3 games with this defense.

We are not going to turn into a top 10 unit by bringing back the band and adding a inside linebacker, safety and third corner.

That's a valid argument if you think there's only 3 wins worth of talent on the team.

If you think the 3 wins was the result of collapse due to the team giving up on the coach, I'm not sure purging the team of quality veterans and planning for a few years ahead is the way to go. The talent you listed is a solid foundation for a top offensive unit, which alone should keep the team competitive in almost every game. Given that, I do think building the defense on the fly is a legitimate plan, and to do that we need to keep the few pieces we do have in place. Scrapping the whole thing and starting over from scratch would be wasting the youth on offense. In my opinion.

I don't believe this is true. Bring in a legit NT, replace the MLB (or do as best you can, there is no replacing Fletcher), and change out a couple pieces in the secondary. If they do that, this defense can be top 10-15, which is all they need to be competitive.

With Fletcher playing at a high level, this defense was good enough to win 7 in a row and the division, even without ROY Griffin.

this defence is not that close, fletch is done, he carried that defence, this defence is simply not 1-2 players away, more like 7-8

Eh, Green Bay won a Super Bowl without a defense. If our offense can make top 10, and the defense can just scratch the top 20, we have as good a shot as anyone.

Our offense can help our defense, as much as a couple players can.

Improved offense + 3 defensive upgrades (1 Dline, 1 LB, 1 DB) + health = winning record.
Improved offense + 4 Defensive upgrades? (1 Dline, 1 LB, 2 DB's) + health = winning division+

this defence is not that close, fletch is done, he carried that defence, this defence is simply not 1-2 players away, more like 7-8

If Gruden can get the offense humming, hopefully the defense won't see the field nearly as much as they did last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.