• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Summer Garden Time

Boone you should look into these smart pot containers. They self aerate, prune roots, but the best part is you can move them wherever you want and no weeding needed.

Question for you gardening vets. I’ve got peppers that are stubborn as hell to germinate, they’re my ONLY plants that are either slow or haven’t broke through, yet.

Are peppers usually stubborn to germinate?

Peppers are heat loving. Back when I was growing all my own plants indoors, I used a heat mat under peppers to help them to germinate.

Here we go...

3 watermelon
2 lettuce
2 spinach
4 kale
6 cucumber
5 pepper plants
3 tomato
6 bush beans

Peppers are doing great, cherry tomatoes and lettuce not so much.

We’re expecting frost tonight, stupid Minnesota. Would welcome any frost protection suggestions from you guys. Basically can plants be placed in a non heated garage for protection or do they need covered with a sheet?

edit: said wth and covered as many as I could with trash bags and brought the potted ones inside. We’ll see

Last edited:
I want to grow some chilies. Maybe Fresno and jalapeño. I’m pretty sure they would thrive in my climate.

Seedlings would be easier than from seed, no?

Okay need some advice on peppers here. What’s the telltale signs for harvesting peppers? I know these aren’t ready but just curious what to look for here

EC558AFB-BE98-4CB1-A644-265C0A680A53.jpeg

D9CE0688-B977-415B-9BEB-81774921FFB9.jpeg

You can pick peppers anytime - up to you. If you leave them too long the bugs will tend to take bites but they are generally pretty forgiving in terms of leaving them on the bush if you want to let them get bigger. The more you pick the more they will produce. Some peppers (like Jalapeno) will change color if you leave them on the hush long enough

Good info Boone. These peppers are growing like crazy, like 1/2” a day. Becoming a believer in FoxFarm ocean forest bag soil as well.

in the process of transplanting I didn’t transfer the labels over. 90% sure these are banana peppers

A038B064-5725-4158-8DCC-C993BCA0BAA2.jpeg

Here’s one of my cherry tomatoes, they’re just starting to flower now.

23AFD8D6-876E-4A24-827E-142BD2E5B8EB.jpeg

1625618498015.png

top left pumpkins
bottom left watermelon
lettuce
squash
corn
spinach almost done

1625618560402.png

different view of the same pic

1625618591293.png

peppers, tomatoes, carrots, green beans

1625618612164.png

corn, cucumbers, peppers

My pepper plants are covered with little brownish gnat looking things. One diy recipe for pesticide I tried today is a smidge of dawn soap and warm water in a spray bottle. Sucks but we’ll see what happens

tomatoes are coming in damn good with no bugs

Probably aphids and some soap water usually gets rid of them…

I just sprayed the heck out of them and left to air dry. Am I supposed to rinse them afterwards or just let em marinate?

Edit: Pisses me off because ALL my peppers were looking tip top before those little bastards showed up. About 90% of them are on the underside of the leaves too so check yours good.

Last edited:
You don't have to rinse it but probably not a bad idea to water them a little a day after just to make sure the plants don't get burned.

Anyone have an idea what pepper is solid black? It could be they’re rotten or something but the plant itself has pretty flowers and looks healthy.

9DE8FAB8-3C1A-4622-B006-6CBAE9FFF6C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Moral of the story is I didn’t label them because I “thought” I had it figured out

571FD35A-D7C1-442F-A600-4591A8B75DB9.jpeg

Edit: These pics suck

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.