• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Step 1 of the Experiment Is a Success

so its OK that Bradford is winning more games in STL but not OK that McNabb has led us to more wins...

its OK that Bradford is winning with lackluster talent but not OK that McNabb was.

mike...one's a wet behind the ears rookie and the other a savvy 11 year vet. now...I think what happened in DC was more than just Donovan not agreeing to the scheme (i.e., the record doesn't fall exclusively on him). that said......apples and oranges.

because the 7-9 qb is a rookie who is playing for a team that didnt make wholesale changes and has serious upside despite having played pretty well, while we are at pretty much the opposit end of the spectrum.

Rams- won 2 games last year, made relatively few changes in player personnel and have a rookie QB this year won 5 more games and vastly improved their offence.

Redskins- won 4 games had the second highest roster turnover with most moves on offence being considered huge upgrades and a 11 year supposed elite quality veteran and despite that the offence has actually not improved much if at all.

the bar for success for a rookie QB is a lot lower than for a multiple rpobowl vet especially when that rookie comes on to a team that won 2 games the year before and has been flat out bad for a decade.

Two QB's in new systems and the probowl vet is absolutely expected to outperform the rookie considerably.

he is on par with Jason Campbell who had a worse oline to work behind last year and arguably worse receivers.

there isnt one NFL analyst who would have said the situations are compatible.

One is a rookie playing on a team that just won 2 games the year before and only added a couple players and who has displayed some serious upside.

Mcnabb quite simply is a disappointment and is unlikely to get any better.

Im still trying to figure out how he thinks a 7-9 QB in the worst div in football is a success.
C'mon Mike, you sound like my Uncle discounting our first SB win. "But, but, it was a strike shortened season."

What about Bradford being a rook don't you get? For comparison's sake, check out these #s. Yes, the NFCW is by far the worst division in football. However, even NFCW defenses are far and away better than anything he faced in college. There's a reason rookie QBs tend to struggle. When they do well as rooks, it generally means they're going to be pretty good.

Bradford looks like the real deal, and that's coming from a guy that doubted him a lot prior to the draft. I still have questions about his durability but he seems to have the tools, i.e. quick release, reads defenses pretty well, accurate, mobile and throws well on the move, anticipates receiver's cuts, etc. to at least be an above average, if not very good NFL QB.

but he is an example of what a patient team does.

they acquire a top selection and then take a foundation player to build around.

they don't use free agency or the expediency of a trade for a 34 year old quarterback when the rest of the team is 2-3 years away from being rebuilt into a contender.

Bradford is a player Spagnuolo can build around. He has Stephen Jackson. Avery at WR should be healthy for 2011.

Bradford doesn't have to be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to help St. Louis resurrect its fortunes.

If he is simply a step up from Joe Flacco and younger passers of that caliber he will be worth the investment.

Meanwhile the Redskins instead of holding their powder dry for 2011 had to go out and acquire an older qb right away to make a splash and sell some jerseys.

Welcome to the New York Yankees of the 1980's. Spent big, won nothing.

when Peyton was drafted by the colts it was into a bad division onto a horrible team that had been horrible for decades. (in both incarnations lol) but its moves like this that make teams contenders.

same with the Lions' young QB...if he could just keep his shoulder in place!

thats the biggest concern nowadays IMHO, with the field being the same size but players being much bigger and much faster, the potential is far higher for huge injuries. thats why I think you have got to put a premium on protecting your QB. this means having a solid line in place before throwing your young qb to the wolves lol.

but he is an example of what a patient team does.

they acquire a top selection and then take a foundation player to build around.

they don't use free agency or the expediency of a trade for a 34 year old quarterback when the rest of the team is 2-3 years away from being rebuilt into a contender.

Bradford is a player Spagnuolo can build around. He has Stephen Jackson. Avery at WR should be healthy for 2011.

Bradford doesn't have to be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to help St. Louis resurrect its fortunes.

If he is simply a step up from Joe Flacco and younger passers of that caliber he will be worth the investment.

Meanwhile the Redskins instead of holding their powder dry for 2011 had to go out and acquire an older qb right away to make a splash and sell some jerseys.

Welcome to the New York Yankees of the 1980's. Spent big, won nothing.

you're right BT. but what options did the Skins have? Bradford was the only bonafide franchise QB option in this last draft - or so one can infer since we went LT with the 4th pick.

the problem now is...where do we find that future QB? I have growing doubts that will happen this next draft as we drop in the round. we may take a flyer on some QB as a development project. what happens in the interim 2-3 years it takes for this person to MAYBE make a transition? the timing, as usual, just doesn't square.

having to watch Rex's duck balls for 16 games next season? God has a wicked sense of humor!!!

thats the biggest concern nowadays IMHO, with the field being the same size but players being much bigger and much faster, the potential is far higher for huge injuries. thats why I think you have got to put a premium on protecting your QB. this means having a solid line in place before throwing your young qb to the wolves lol.

overall though...seems to me there are fewer serious QB injuries during a season than there was...say...10 years ago. rule changes have really made the QB a protected species.

yeah they have really tried to protect qbs but they still have to play the game and some things you just cant protect guys from. I have noticed that with the new rules there are less knee injuries and more shoulder injuries, less concussions caused by helomet hits and more from the ground, so I dont know.

you're right BT. but what options did the Skins have? Bradford was the only bonafide franchise QB option in this last draft - or so one can infer since we went LT with the 4th pick.

the problem now is...where do we find that future QB? I have growing doubts that will happen this next draft as we drop in the round. we may take a flyer on some QB as a development project. what happens in the interim 2-3 years it takes for this person to MAYBE make a transition? the timing, as usual, just doesn't square.

having to watch Rex's duck balls for 16 games next season? God has a wicked sense of humor!!!

Getting a franchise QB is not completely reliant on drafting in the top 5. I'll grant you it can help, but is not completely necessary. Having said that, I would like to see us concentrate on the lines a lot more this off season. Let's build them up, get some quality starters and depth and then worry about the QB next year, unless there is a shocking precipitous drop that falls into our laps.

That means you will be stuck with another year of McNabb, or more likely, Grossman. Sorry FS. But if we are building a solid foundation starting with the lines, I think we can all live with that.

Getting a franchise QB is not completely reliant on drafting in the top 5. I'll grant you it can help, but is not completely necessary. Having said that, I would like to see us concentrate on the lines a lot more this off season. Let's build them up, get some quality starters and depth and then worry about the QB next year, unless there is a shocking precipitous drop that falls into our laps.

That means you will be stuck with another year of McNabb, or more likely, Grossman. Sorry FS. But if we are building a solid foundation starting with the lines, I think we can all live with that.

agree. but per previous discussions...the higher the draft position the greater the control over who a team lands up with. plus....draft position significance is relative to the pool of talent and other teams draft strategies in any given year.

well...I don't think the Skins are in a position to go after a franchise QB. development at best...at this point. so...yea....restock the lines. suffer another year of Grossman's sub-pro caliber passing.

I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but how would you feel about trading for a backup QB with promise, ala Flynn in GB or the kid in Dallas? I could see a low level pick for a developmental QB, which woud then allow us to concentrate on the lines.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but how would you feel about trading for a backup QB with promise, ala Flynn in GB or the kid in Dallas? I could see a low level pick for a developmental QB, which woud then allow us to concentrate on the lines.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

something to consider...though trading for QBs does not appear to be a long-suit for this FO!!!!!

something to consider...though trading for QBs does not appear to be a long-suit for this FO!!!!!

Flynn looked good against NE, but that team as a whole was playing with confidence. It was only one game. It is time to start thinking about trying to find our own Flynn! He's out there.

I firmly believe there are more Tom Brady's out there. They just have to be put in the right position to succeed. There are a handfull of QB's, who given the chance like Brady was, could be great in the NFL. The problem lies in this prototype NFL QB everyone is looking for. Teams would rather draft a QB who is 6'5" 220 because that is the ideal size for a QB today without really looking at the variables ala Jason Campbell. The kid has all the physical attributes you would want in an NFL QB, but he lacks the variables that make one great. And it is not limited to QB, look at Woodhead in NE. You think he would succeed like that anywhere else?

It has been said before, teams who are in positions to take risks on their later round draft picks seem to have more success when they pick an under sized LB who makes up for it with heart and determination or a WR who can get it done who may not have been on a pass heavy college team.

It boils down to this FO going out and stealing Eric DeCosta from Baltimore! :)

well, in a year there is no franchise qb other than the #1 overall pick, it might have been a good idea to keep those #2 and #3 picks and draft for other positions, go with Grossman for one year as the starter, take your lumps, and then be in the same position we are now - heading into the next draft with a 6 win team that is set to pick in the top 10.

well, in a year there is no franchise qb other than the #1 overall pick, it might have been a good idea to keep those #2 and #3 picks and draft for other positions, go with Grossman for one year as the starter, take your lumps, and then be in the same position we are now - heading into the next draft with a 6 win team that is set to pick in the top 10.

It still is a good idea! (sans picks of course)

No QB drafted this year is going to win any games so at best we are talking about losing 1 yr of developement.

Build the lines this year. Use the #1 on defense (DE or possibly LB) and the #2 on a Guard or Center.

Maybe we can find a way to get Andy Dalton of TCU (down in the second or third round of the draft) and let him sit for a year while Rex holds the fort down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.