• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So, Holmgren?

EatSleepRedskin

The UDFA
Reaction score
What say you, BGO folk?

And we've been hearing for months rumors that Holmgren would be very interested in becoming the next coach of the Washington Redskins.

Earlier today, Peter King of SI.com provided some meat for that bone, in an appearance with Chris Russo of Mag Dog Unleashed on Sirius XM Radio.

"I've heard a lot of people say in the last few days, 'Oh, Holmgren wouldn't want to go to Washington,'" King said. "Keep one thing in mind in December when all this stuff starts to go down. Remember where you heard this. Mike Holmgren last year, Thanksgiving weekend, I'm sitting in his office in Seattle and he says, 'You know, I'm going to take this next year off but after that I'll give you a cool little theory for what I might do.' I said, 'What?' And he says, 'I've coached in the Midwest with Green Bay and I grew up playing and coaching out west -- Brigham Young, the 49ers, Seattle.' And he said, 'I'd really love to try the East Coast. That brand of football where you wake up on Sunday morning and it's the most important thing. There aren't 800 things to do. Where you're in East Rutherford or Philly or Washington and it's so important.'

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/29/holmgren-eyeballing-dc/

Holmgren coming to D.C. after Zorn doesn't make too much sense to me. Would Holmgren kick out his former QB coach to land another job?

But I don't know the dynamics between Zorn and Holmgren. Were they close? I seem to remember them being friendly.

Besides, why would Danny Snyder want Holmgren instead of Cowher/Shanahan? I know I wouldn't.

If he brings Tim Ruskell with him as the Skins new GM-permantly replacing Vinny C.-it might be workable.

Oh, and if they stipulate no interference on the part of you-know-who in football operations.

Of the guys out there I'll give my quick top 5 in no real order....yet:

Cowher

Up side - He's a defensive minded coach in the Marty coaching tree who would bring some much needed toughness to the team. He's got a ring and was with a great organization so he should know how to get it done. Would likely work well with a GM (not Vinny).

Down side - His old organization seems to be doing just fine without him. Plays a “boring” style of football.

Holmgren

Up side - Got to back to back Super Bowls as a coach in Green Bay. Went to another in Seattle. Developed a nice QB in Seattle and was able to reign in Favre enough to get to the big game twice.

Down side - Had a HoF QB in Green Bay in his prime as well as a HoF DE who might have been the best ever. Would likely want total control of personnel here. I've never liked the one man show setup. Runs the WCO which I don't like.

Shanahan

Up side – Has two rings. Knows how to find RBs. Denver has a great winning record under him. Only 2 losing seasons in 14 years in Denver (very impressive).

Down side – When he had total control he made some questionable decisions. Would likely want total control. Another WCO guy....$%^&*.

Gruden

Up side – Has a ring. Would definitely bring some fire to the team.

Down side – His former players hate him as his act seems to wear thin. Had one nice year (with Dungy's guys) and never could develop a real QB while there. Rode defense (Monty Kiffin) to a title. Another WCO offense guy....bleh.

The skeleton of George Allen

Up side – Knows how to get the most out of vets. Will excite the fan base. Is a true Redskin.

Down side – Will trade away first round draft picks for questionable vets. Plays a conservative game style. He's a skeleton.

The skeleton of George Allen

Up side – Knows how to get the most out of vets. Will excite the fan base. Is a true Redskin.

Down side – Will trade away first round draft picks for questionable vets. Plays a conservative game style. He's a skeleton.

Go on ....

I don't care how boring Cowher's play is, he wins. And I would suggest the reason Pittsburgh is still winning is because of his influence coupled with the greatness of that organization.

The only way I would want Holmgren here is if Zorn turned this season around and began coaching with some common sense. If he could somehow squeak a paloff run out of this squad, I would like to see Holmgren come aboard as the GM.

Shanahan was capable of winning but got his rings with Dan Reeve's squad and John Elway.

I would like Gruden to shape this talent up, but if it is true that players just hated him then well...

If we couldn't get Cowher here, which I think we could do, I would like to see Danny get smart and hire Marty to run Football operations again and hire his son, Brian, to coach this team.

Elephant, don't forget that Shanahan got to the AFC Championship Game against Cowher's Steelers with Jake Plummer at QB. A bad game by an flu-ridden Plummer is not how you want to face the Steelers but such is life.

On the other hand, Shanahan made the mistake of throwing Jay Cutler to the wolves his rookie year instead of sticking with Plummer, who was playing pretty well despite a crappy defense.
Mike is a great Offensive mind but would absolutely HAVE to have a quality GM since he pretty much sucks at personnel decisions.

All in all, Cowher would be my choice. He's the blue-collar guy that this team needs right now.

Last edited:
I haven't jumped on the Cowher bandwagon, because there are no wheels on it. He'll never work for Dan Snyder. NEVER !

Gruden doesn't have what it takes to build a team from scratch which what in essence will happen.

I'm tossed up on Shanahan, but do like the idea of Holgren.

What about Russ Grimm?

Upside:

Former Hog who's played for Gibbs. Coached Oline for the Skins,Steelers and Cards(all successful in his tenure there).
No nonsense approach and players would respect him cause he's "been there".

Downside: Experience as a head coach/coordinator.

Would probably work good for a team with a strong GM...something we don't have.

My first choice would be Cowher. This bunch needs someone that 's not going to take crap from players, or be intimidated because a player is the fav of the owner. YEs Cowher's style is boring, but the guy was a consistant winner for hte most part despite having players leave on a fairly consistant basis via free agency every year.

I could deal with Chucky, because again he wouldn't be taking crap from players.

Notice my theme here? Don't take crap from players. Gibbs II aside, that hasn't happened here in a long time.

I could deal with Holmgren. He's shown himself to be a solid football guy. I don't need to get to the Super Bowl every year, but it be nice to sniff teh playoffs every once in awhile.

Shanahan gives me a bad vibe for some reason. Don't know why, just a gut thing

But hey, "any of the above" is a good answer for me, considering where we are now

I like the idea of Grimm a lot. I can't see it happening though. If Zorn is replaced Dan is going to want a big name. Grimm should have gotten a more serious look last time IMO.

I like Grimm too, but a couple of things are working against him. For one, there are four unemployed coaches who have Super Bowl Rings lurking. Two, he hasn't had a head coaching stint.

I think he'd bring a lot to the team, but he's also from a bygone era when men played football to play football, not to get multi million dollar contracts

Today it's all about the bling, and I'm not sure Grimm could deal with that.

Plus, after this debacle with Zorn, danny needs to get someone that knows what the hell they are doing. Not that Grimm doesn't, but again when you stack Grimms experrience up agasint the others, Grimm just ain't gonna make it

Everyone makes good cases for each candidate mentioned. The one theme repeated over and over is they need a good GM. My question is...Vinny?

Instead of Snyder throwing another coach at the problem, he needs to send Vinny packing and get a real GM. This has been discussed over and over.

Until this happens it will be the same old story every two or three years.

How about a college coach who's itching to make the transition? Maybe someone who runs a "fun n fun" style offense? We haven't tried that in awhile. :p

How about a college coach who's itching to make the transition? Maybe someone who runs a "fun n fun" style offense? We haven't tried that in awhile. :p
Well played sir. Well played.

Now, off with his head.!! :behead:

My last choice would be Cowher. Don't want him. Cowher w/o Dick LeBeau=Mike Ditka without Buddy Ryan. The Steelers have actually improved since he left, whereas the Bucs might be the worst team in football without Gruden.
Holmgren woul likely be at the top of my list, since he's proven he can do it with different QBs in different cities. I'd be happy w/Shanny ONLY IF we get a true GM first nd do not hand him over personnel duties.

Instead of Snyder throwing another coach at the problem, he needs to send Vinny packing and get a real GM. This has been discussed over and over.

Until this happens it will be the same old story every two or three years.

And we have a winner. Snyder is doing this arsebackwards - hire a real quality GM FIRST, then let the GM pick his coach.

The issue I have with Holmgren is this... First off he was not doing so well the last couple years he was coaching, in addition he is up there in age and would not be coaching for a long period of time. He probably wouldnt be here for more than a couple of years.

We need to go with someone younger, that will be here for the long run. That is not Holmgren.

My guess is that Holmgren ends up in Dallas in 2010.

He appears willing to be the HC without being a major cog on the personnel side so he seems a good match there.

Shanahan on the other hand I think wants to have a major say in personnel and he won't get that in Dallas.

But with a restive fan base and revenue at stake I think Snyder will jettison not only Zorn but Cerrato and let Shanahan have a bit freer hand to take the heat off ownership.

Besides Shanahan prides himself in working with quarterbacks and Washington may be in line to draft one in the top 10 in 2010.

Another reason not to fire Zorn in mid-season.

There won't be any playoffs in 2009 so promoting Blache or bringing in an interim who may eke 2-3 more wins out of this lot could be counterproductive in securing that pick.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

At this stage do you think Dan is going to ever hire a real GM? I’m not being a wise guy here I honestly want to know what folks think.

I seriously doubt he will. We haven’t had a legitimate GM here in DC since Charley Casserly got the boot in favor of keeping Norv. Surely Dan must at least be aware that fans and the media want him to have a real GM. I’ve seen it in print for years in the paper and I know Dan is aware of what is written about the team in The Post. I think he’d just rather not have one. I can only guess at the reasoning.

He’s buddies with Jerry Jones and Jerry doesn’t have a GM, so why should he? We have a President of Football Operations who has, or almost has all of the same responsibilities, or so we are lead to believe, but we don’t call him a GM. Ok. That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. The only thing it gives Dan is the flexibility to keep Vinny around if he hires a coach who wants complete control over football operations. “He’s not a GM, he’s President of Football Operations”. That way he gets to keep a weasel on the inside.

On a side note I haven't seen Vinny watching games with Dan this season in the owner's box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.