• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So, Does Shanny's Pet Squirrel Survive?

I think it's likely that the coaches have given clear directives on when to return the ball, or stay away from it and let it roll when the kick is short of the endzone (ie...'from 10 yards on in, let it go'), but I don't see how they manage indicating what happens when it's a potential touchback. That's why you have to have a return man whose instincts you 100% trust.

Okay, I found this interview with Danny Smith done on EYES Radio on August 9th which should help answer some questions here-a lot about Banks actually. The rest of the article-also interesting has a lot about Gano and the kicker competition and the subject of blocked field goals as well-the link to the article is at the bottom.

After every practice the media gets their Q&A time with Head Coach Mike Shanahan, but yesterday it was a real treat as all three assistant coaches had time on the podium. Here’s a recap of each session starting with Special Teams Coach Danny Smith.

On wide receiver Brandon Banks having to make the roster as a receiver:

“I really like it, to be honest. I think it is a great idea and he can contribute. I think the world of him. I think he’s a playmaker, he’s a chunk-yardage guy, and you have to get chunks in this league. If you look at every time he touches the ball in situations on offense, he got a chunk. Some of them have been called back and things like that. It’s hard to drive the ball against people in this league and you get chunk-yardage players, so it didn’t put me in any different position, I like it. It doesn’t affect anything. He will still be a punt returner, a kick returner, that kind of thing. Obviously it’s the head coach’s decision, but I think it’s a great idea personally.”

On Banks adjusting in his third year:

“The rule change stuff. I can help him with as well. It was a learning experience for all of us. Some of the decision-making has got to be better and will be better. I love the guy and I think he is a quality playmaker and he is a big returner in my plans.”

On Banks’ knee injury last year:

“I think so, I think he was banged up. He has a small frame, but he is as tough as anyone on this football team as far as taking hits and things like that. He was slowed down quite a bit. He missed some practice time. I think that all had a factor, but that is throughout this league too. We complain about issues we have here, but the Redskins, like anybody does, as coaches, as players, but everybody has those issues. It’s the ones that bounce back from those issues, or replace guys, or fight through those things. It’s going to happen again and we have to fight through those things better.”

On Banks being a 'better pro’ and taking care of his body:

“Brandon and I meet on a regular basis. I stood on the table for the guy. He’s had some issues. He and I meet everyday and go through that day, that night, that afternoon, where you’re going, who you’re with. I get good answers, bad answers. He and I have a pretty good relationship. I think he has really grown-up as a pro. He has grown up like a lot of guys do. Some guys at different stages in life, not just professional athletes, they get it, and right now I’m going to tell you, he got it. I think he is making better decisions. I think he is taking better care of his body. I think he is working harder. He’s in better shape. He’s in condition. He lifts. He gained weight. So I’m going to stand on the table for the guy.”

On who is challenging Banks’ for his kick return position:

“We have a lot of guys, with that, and you see the depth chart. We have to look at Richard Crawford. We have to look at Aldrick Robinson who is showing his talent, some skill level, things like that. You always have Santana Moss, he’s in the back of your mind based on how that unfolds in those situations. That could be a good thing as well. DeAngelo Hall can do it. We have guys and I think we will be OK at that position. The kick returner is the same thing. We get the running back situation squared away. You’re talking about Evan Royster, you’re talking Roy Helu, you’re talking about Niles Paul, you’re talking about Tristan Davis. I don’t want to leave anybody out. I hesitate to give names because you leave a guy out and then they get mad, I get mad and it really wasn’t that. We have a lot of guys that can do it.”

On the kick return rule change and its impact after one season:

“I think it will grow. One season doesn’t make a study. I think it’s the decision-making, but ultimately, what I would like to see the league do is making better sense for these returners as well. As an example, we bring it from seven yards out and he brings it to the twenty yard line, that’s a 27-yard return. Well, 27-yard returns will be behind the league. Yet, you only got the ball on the 20-yard line, which you could have gotten by touching it down. So it’s distorted in a lot of players’ minds, 'I’ve got to get that average, I’ve got to get that average,’ when ultimately in the game it’s about field position and where you put that ball in the field of play. I think that is a little distorted in these facts and figures. It’s the decision making on when to bring it and when not to. There are a lot of things that go in to that. It’s not a matter of if the ball is seven yards deep, the ball is eight yards deep. Who are you playing? What’s the situation? Are you home or away? You say 'Why is that important?’ It’s important. When you’re home and you get the ball backed up, you have a chance. When you’re away and you have the ball backed up, and you watch it as the season progresses, it happens every year, I watch it tape after tape after tape, is the crowd in that end zone is on your butt and, damn, if we get don’t get a tackle that jumps early. Now you have distance there, five more there. So, it is important whether it’s home or away. What kind of kick is it? Is it a 3.0 [second] hang time? Is it a 4.0 [second] hang time? is it a 3.5 [second] hang time? All those things enter in to it whether a guy brings it or not. I thought at times we did a good job at that last year and I thought at times we did a bad job. I have so much confidence in Brandon, I let him make those decisions which I no longer will let him make.”

On if he advises him on a kick-by-kick basis:

“I do, and it’s often the film. So you say 'That individual kick, how do you know? What time and all that stuff as it goes?’ Obviously he’s not timing it as he’s catching it. We go in, and he and I have looked at the last four games or whatever it might be. 'Brandon, this kid, when he kicks the ball to the middle of the field you’ll get this time. When he kicks it to your right you’ll get this time. When he kicks it to the left you’ll get this time.’ There’s a lot of things that enter into that, so I’m going to narrow that down for him a lot and it’ll be more on me than on him.”

On if wide receiver Terrence Austin can be a reliable kick returner:

“I like Terrence. He’s a factor. He’s in the mix. Here’s a guy who comes to work every day, makes plays every day. I love Terrence Austin and he’s definitely in the mix.”

http://www.eyesradio.com/2012/qa-with-the-redskins-assistant-coaches-part-1/

Thanks Serv...that seems to indicate that Banks and other returners get 'situational' guidance before the game that helps the return man decide in which situations to bring it out, not 'live' help, which makes a lot more sense.

Given our mixed success in the return game, makes me wonder how helpful establishing 'rules' is in the long haul. I can see some of it, like not taking as many risks bringing it out on the road (given what can happen with a noisy crowd if you get pinned deep in your end of the field with a bad return). But some of the other stuff, seems like having some 'decision tree' would just distract the return man versus just focusing on the ball, and what you are seeing in front of you in terms of lanes, blocking, and using instinct to help make the decision. I've always thought the return game was as much 'art' as 'science', but who knows?

Good find serv. I think it clearly shows that, he's coached on what to do, but it's still his judgement to bring it out, or not.

To date, that judgement has been very poor. Let's hope he improves.

I don't know about trying to invent a better mousetrap.

I grew up watching Eddie Brown, Mike Nelms and then Brian Mitchell excelling on ST over the years on punts and kicks for the Redskins.

There was certainly 'coaching' going on there but the 'judgment' factor seemed to be there from the start.

It didn't take 3 seasons for logic and common sense to make its appearance.

I don't know about trying to invent a better mousetrap.

I grew up watching Eddie Brown, Mike Nelms and then Brian Mitchell excelling on ST over the years on punts and kicks for the Redskins.

There was certainly 'coaching' going on there but the 'judgment' factor seemed to be there from the start.

It didn't take 3 seasons for logic and common sense to make its appearance.
Very true. Good points.

Another muffed punt, and not much on returns in this game. Is Banks finally gone?

Another muffed punt, and not much on returns in this game. Is Banks finally gone?

Same old story. Fielding a punt on the goal line, walking backwards into end zone. Hesitating for almost 2 seconds, til finally he decidesto run it to the 6 yard line. Brilliant.

So, tell me again, why is he on the team ?

He makes another major screw up...then again Shanny likes having at least one person the team he is taller than.

The putz is killing us at this point. A squirrel has better judgment. Ship his ass out of town now !

I don't see how he makes this team better. I am tired of his bonehead plays.

His roster spot could be used better. But to be fair, he did convert one crucial third down as a receiver.

His roster spot could be used better. But to be fair, he did convert one crucial third down as a receiver.
Any receiver on the team could have done that. He is a total waste of space, on a roster that can't afford to waste any. Shanny's arrogance is the only reason he's here. If he finally makes a play, Shanny will pat himself on the back for being so smart.

can we seriously bench this guy?

just merely bench a guy, who's only true function is on special teams ?
that would be even more of a wasted roster spot

so converting one 3rd down, justifies his taking up a roster spot, and also nullifies all the bonehead plays he makes ?

so converting one 3rd down, justifies his taking up a roster spot, and also nullifies all the bonehead plays he makes ?

Absolutely not. But I have to give credit where it is due.

Unless he can really become a serious receiver, I also want him gone. But that was a nice play.

Let Robinson return kicks/punts, cut Banks, bring back Brandyn Thompson to help with the secondary.

ST, that would be great! But Pet Squirrel caught a key 3rd down reception yesterday that will keep him around and in the game plan even longer.

ST, that would be great! But Pet Squirrel caught a key 3rd down reception yesterday that will keep him around and in the game plan even longer.

yeah but his gaff on the punt return is going to be a glaring issue this week... especially with the extra 4 days for them to be looking at tape. Since they didnt do it during the bye week... this is the week to do it since it's 10 days before our next game.

not sure i think they WILL do it... but if your'e going to, the time is now.

Oh you won't get any argument from me about his release or minimized role in our game plan. I have been calling for him to be cut since the beginning of his 2nd year here after his stabbing and the loss of step he's had since the knee injury in his 1st season. He cannot break free anymore and is too small to be able to run through arm tackles. He needs to go.

But Shanahan will look for any reason to keep him and his catch on the 3rd down play was probably enough for Shanahan to justify keeping him around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.