• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

so…what are the priorities this off-season? (back here yet again!)

I think we agree actually. As hard as it is at times to watch that o-line, with an improved defense we are a playoff team. As flawed as it is, our offense is good enough. Focus needs to be on the defensive side first, offensive line second.

My only disagreement here would be that Kyle either stop calling the long-developing plays that are getting Griffin killed, or we go OL first just so that we have guys who can pass-protect. Our offense is only good enough until Griffin goes down...

Every time I see Orakpo drop back in coverage I want to rip my television off the wall and throw it in the street. If that doesn't clearly illustrate my contention that our issues on that side of the ball stem more from scheme and coaching then I don't know what will.

Haslett must go......and we'll all be better for it. I know he's trying really, really hard, but.....

Before reading any responses, I figured I'd post first so that I wasn't influenced in any way...

At the start of the year, I said RT was our biggest upgrade necessary across the OL. But having now played over half of the season, I think an argument can be made for either guard spot over RT, as porous as Polumbus has played. And along the same lines, we need a nose tackle.

Barry Cofield has done as good of a job as he can, and he is a skilled football player. However, he would probably better be suited at end for us and in a rotation. One of the age old adages when it comes to playing an odd front defense is the statement that you need a big, powerful gap plugger in the middle to make the defense work. Yes, the advent of the 1-gap 3-4 by Bum Philips and Wade Philips has given some flexibility at nose, but even then you need a guy who can plug a hole and generate a push. It ALL starts in the middle on both sides of the football, and Barry Cofield is not a nose that you'd need to make the defense flourish. Having said that, I really do believe he is a valuable part of the team, and him being able to play end and plug in at nose in spell duty is a HUGE value. But we need that monster.

Kansas City started rookie Dontari Poe at nose last year. He had a decent season but nothing to write home about. He had one offseason in the NFL and the Kansas City defense is thriving with him in the middle. Justin Houston and Tamba Hali are studs off the edge. And yes, both are tremendous pass rushers, and it's quite possible both of them are better than either Rak or Kerrigan. Having said that, if there was an interior push in the middle, Kerrigan and Rak become THAT much more deadly. I've said it for years, along with offensive line, we NEED a nose if we're going to stick with a 3-4 (and while we're at it, let's get a new coordinator to go with the new nose!)

We'll also need an OLB. Rob Jackson and Brian Orakpo are both free agents. We'll need to make some tough decisions monetarily in that department. I'd like to see both back for reasonable contracts, but I don't know if that will happen.

I also think we need one new safety. Rambo will improve over the offseason and Philip Thomas will return. We still have Reed who can be serviceable and perhaps we have Meriweather. Bring in one more safety, trim the fat and see what we have.

And of course, at least one ILB will be a necessity.

Could we upgrade WR? Sure. But I don't think it's as pressing.

Last edited:
What do you think about BJ Raji, KDawg?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Raji has trouble getting the push with consistency that he did a few years ago. He's long in the tooth. That is a position that should not be filled in FA unless the guy is 26 or younger. They don't have much more than a 4-5 year window where they can dominate. We need to draft a stud NT. I would not be opposed using our 2nd round pick on an NT, but NT only...not another DE for a 3-4.

Brian Orakpo is gone. Shanahan tried to package him in the Griffin deal last year, Rob Jackson is getting split time with him, Brandon Jenkins was drafted...that and the fact that he's a one trick pony suggest he will not be wearing B&G next year. I'm ok with that...unless we switch back to a 4-3, which we won't.

As for Free Agency, don't look for too much there guys. The pickings are slim.

At CB there are 2 names that stand out, Charles Tillman and Aqib Talib. I would prefer Talib over Tillman and the fact that Tillman would be 30 to start next year may eliminate him. Talib is definitely in his prime and he has probably earned a 4 year contract.

The OL pickings are slim. Branden Albert in KC is probably the best, but he is likely going to be retained by KC and where do we put him...LT? The Seahawks developed their RT after snatching him off the Green Bay PS, Breno Giacomini, and he's been a solid RT for them. Don't they run a ZBS of sorts out there? Could he be a solid pickup to replace TurnsTyler? He's big and anchored the right side of a solid OL in Seattle.

Jacoby Jones is a burner in Baltimore...replacement for Aldrick Robinson?

The reality is that we are not going to fix our glaring holes win FA this year, there really isn't a solid crop of Free Agents, unless KFFL is not accurate and there are players they're missing.

Of the free agents mentioned, Aqib Talib is really the only one I would pull the trigger on. We really need to draft wisely. NT and OL are critical!

The defense sporting a 4-3 would need less of a personnel overhaul as I think a case could be made that several current starters will be more effective in that scheme.

We would still need help in the backfield and at MLB, but I think the DL and OLB slots could be filled with guys we have.

The defense sporting a 4-3 would need less of a personnel overhaul as I think a case could be made that several current starters will be more effective in that scheme.

We would still need help in the backfield and at MLB, but I think the DL and OLB slots could be filled with guys we have.

The kid from Nebraska was dressed against the Chargers. Compton was brought up for that game, probably to help on ST but he was a beast in pre-season. I know it was 2nd and 3rd string players, but he was in complete command of the defense. Would be nice to see how he develops.

The kid from Nebraska was dressed against the Chargers. Compton was brought up for that game, probably to help on ST but he was a beast in pre-season. I know it was 2nd and 3rd string players, but he was in complete command of the defense. Would be nice to see how he develops.

Sorry but I took specific note of Compton looking like hot garbage in the preseason.

Sorry but I took specific note of Compton looking like hot garbage in the preseason.

You would probably think Orlando Pace in his prime looked like hot garbage if he played for the Skins in the preseason though. :)

You would probably think Orlando Pace in his prime looked like hot garbage if he played for the Skins in the preseason though. :)

No just see Compton as someone with very little skill as an OT as proved by his performances this preseason. While noting that there iis a "reputation" that is upheld around here that says he deserves a shot in this lineup but his piss poor performance suggests otherwise.

No just see Compton as someone with very little skill as an OT as proved by his performances this preseason. While noting that there iis a "reputation" that is upheld around here that says he deserves a shot in this lineup but his piss poor performance suggests otherwise.

I don't really know...I didn't watch much preseason - the brief highlights I saw, Compton looked okay. I just think anyone is better than Turnstyler. I mean, it can't get any worse, can it? Some guys need the live-action to learn and get better; if he is ever going to be worth anything, I think you have to play him to find out. If he sucks, what's the worse thing that will happen? Griffin gets hit on every pass play? That's already happening.

Yeah well in keeping with the theme here... I would say we should get three more right tackles in the offseason, maybe ONE of them can beat out the weakest link on our awesome offensive line.

Yeah well in keeping with the theme here... I would say we should get three more right tackles in the offseason, maybe ONE of them can beat out the weakest link on our awesome offensive line.

Oh, I think they should address RT in the offseason as well, but I think they should see what they have in Compton as well. Showcase him a bit, maybe someone will throw us a 7th rounder for him if they see the same "promise" that we apparently do. And who knows, maybe he'll step in and do better than okay. I don't see the harm in giving him a try, is all.

Oh, I think they should address RT in the offseason as well, but I think they should see what they have in Compton as well. Showcase him a bit, maybe someone will throw us a 7th rounder for him if they see the same "promise" that we apparently do. And who knows, maybe he'll step in and do better than okay. I don't see the harm in giving him a try, is all.

Watch the preseason, I think its pretty GD clear that the guy is crap.

Watch the preseason, I think its pretty GD clear that the guy is crap.

I hear you that you feel that way, but I still don't see anything wrong with a Baptism by fire. Again, what's the worst that could happen?

I would like to see us bring in some young guys to compete on the oline, and not just recycle other peoples small weak old linemen

What are your thoughts on Compton? He may be small and weak, but at least he's not old or recycled, LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.