• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Sign Jordan Reed to Multi-Year Extension

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
May 5, 2016

REDSKINS SIGN TE JORDAN REED TO MULTI-YEAR EXTENSION

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed tight end Jordan Reed to a multi-year contract extension. Full terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Reed (6-2, 237) was originally selected by the Redskins in the third round (85th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 34 career regular season games with 14 starts, accruing 182 career receptions for 1,916 yards with 14 receiving touchdowns.

Reed finished the 2015 regular season with 87 receptions for 952 yards (both team records for a tight end) with a team-high 11 receiving touchdowns. Reed led all Redskins players in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, becoming the first tight end to lead the Redskins in all three categories since Jean Fugett accomplished the feat in 1977.

Reed played collegiately at Florida, starting 26 of the 36 career games in which he played. He caught 79 passes for 945 yards with six receiving touchdowns in his collegiate career and was named first-team All-SEC in 2012.

Reed, 25, attended New London (Conn.) H.S., where he was a three-year starter at quarterback and led the Whalers to an undefeated regular season in 2007. He was born July 3, 1990.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy with this signing. Stay healthy and productive, J R.

Based solely on average salary per year, the new "5 year, slightly under $50 million" contract puts Reed at or near the top TE's in football as of today. Not cheap, no, but given his impact on the offense in the second half last year, and the potential ceiling still waiting for him, in two or three years as the cap continues to grow we could well be looking back on this new contract as a bargain.

Man just has to stay healthy.

2016 Tight End Average Rankings

Player2016 average
1Jimmy Graham

Tight End
$10,000,000
2Travis Kelce

Tight End
$9,368,400
3Julius Thomas

Tight End
$9,200,000
4Rob Gronkowski

Tight End
$9,000,000
5Zach Ertz

Tight End
$8,500,000
6Charles Clay

Tight End
$7,600,000
7Greg Olsen

Tight End
$7,500,000
Jordan Cameron

Tight End
$7,500,000
9Jason Witten

Tight End
$7,400,000
10Dwayne Allen

Tight End
$7,350,000

<tbody>
</tbody>

If he stays healthy, the contract will be worth it.

That's the big 'if'.

Even with his injury history, there no one, aside from Gronk, I'd rather have on that list than Reed. Injuries are a huge part of his history as a player, and you would be a fool to overlook them, but when he is right, he is a true game changer.

If he missed a couple of games a season, I can put up with that. Gronk misses at least a few each season, sometimes more.

He's as fast as a slot receiver and produced 11 touchdowns.

That's 40% of the TDs that Kirk Cousins posted last year.

That's how important he is to the team.

Kirk's numbers without Reed on the field aren't very good at all. So, he's more of must than even Kirk.

Signing Reed long term, seems to me, also makes it less likely Kirk will do so, this offseason.

We don't need Kirk to sign this year.

Given the cap, we will need a reduction in his salary numbers for 2017.

But that also goes along with fewer dollars at WR where Garcon, Jackson and Roberts right now count $24M against in 2016.

Not bad for a guy Gruden had penciled in as a third string TE per-season last year.

What happened? Reed did off-season conditioning pre-2015 and bulked up. You'd have thunk Gruden might have noticed.

Thank gawd the FO corrected course.

he was second string only for basically depth purposes as he was still the primary pass catcher at TE it was inconsistently performance and injury history that forced the move ironically injuries put him back at the top of the depth chart again and he had his best year. Your hatred of everything Gruden really shows

I'm glad we did this. Good signing.

Also helps lay groundwork for the long-term Cousins deal.

No offense to Niles Paul, but even with Jordan Reed out of the equation, I don't see him being a front-line tight end on a contending team.

Right now he's the #2 with the possibility that Vernon Davis ends up moving up to join Reed with Paul being the #3.

Kirk's numbers without Reed on the field aren't very good at all. So, he's more of must than even Kirk.

Signing Reed long term, seems to me, also makes it less likely Kirk will do so, this offseason.

That assessment is a little lazy Ax. Lots of factors played into games where Kirk struggled. For starters, he hadn't started consistently :). That this stretch coincided with Reed not being available may have been coincidental or not - who knows? OL injuries and time for eventual starters to gel may also have played a part. I'm not sure the only logical conclusion one could draw from last year is that Cousins needs Reed to be successful. Several have made the same argument regarding Desean, an argument I am equally skeptical of...

Having no other motive than clarification, I found this concerning the Redskins first preliminary preseason depth chart release dated Aug. 9 2015.

REDSKINS RELEASE FIRST DEPTH CHART OF 2015
By Tarik El-Bashir August 09, 2015 12:15 PM
Leave a comment

TRENDING NOW
Bryce Harper is making baseball fun again MLB stars endorse Bryce's campaign
0:32
Holtby robs Schultz with beautiful stop
Fan sports 'Ted Cruz" jersey for Game 5. "Ted Cruz" cheering on the Caps
Annie Apple Eli Apple's mom has some crisp quotes
Tomas Satoransky, Summer League, Black Jersey Tomas Satoransky's arrival will take time
RICHMOND—With their preseason opener set for Thursday in Cleveland, the Redskins have released their first unofficial depth chart of the 2015 season.

On offense, there are a handful of interesting notes. Among them:

First round draft pick Brandon Scherff is, indeed, listed as the starting right guard, while Morgan Moses is the first string right tackle. Scherff spent the offseason program at tackle, but was moved inside by offensive line coach Bill Callahan last week. Spencer Long, who lined up during OTAs at right guard, is now Scherff’s backup.

Tight end Niles Paul is listed as the No. 1 tight end ahead of the talented but injury prone Jordan Reed. Logan Paulsen is the No. 3 option. Good for Paul, who is a hard-nosed player with leadership qualities. But I still have a hard time imagining that Reed won't lead the team's tight ends statistically (assuming he stays healthy) when it's all said and done.

Or perhaps he's a football coach, and being one, he employs certain motivational tools. I'm guessing one of those might be ensuring no player, regardless of innate talents, feels privileged or guaranteed a starting role irregardless of performance.

Apparently his approach was pretty effective, given Reed exploded in 2015 for his best season ever.

But I'm sure Coach Gruden or Reed's other coaches had nothing to do with that. It's a miracle that Reed was able to break from the debilitating grasp of his incompetent coaches to thrive despite their blind and incompetent tutelage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got paid for the job he has done. I am happy with the signing.

In either case, Gruden was talking up Paul as a better all-around TE than Reed last year...Paul may be a better blocker, but he isn't a better receiver. But, Gruden finally figured that out, apparently.

How could Gruden have figured that out? Paul was injured and never saw the field...circumstance figured that one out. But...I think it was widely accepted the coaching staff named the hard-working, veteran the starter instead of the oft injured, less than motivated 2nd year TE, because... who wouldn't want someone in the starting position to work hard and prove themselves instead of sit the bench for questionable injuries?

Did you admonish coach Gibbs every time he gave pressers and bent the truth for the media? I gotta wonder if some of you guys ever played sports and got benched for not working hard enough, then came off the bench with a vengeance.

I think the root problem here stems from tr1 misspelling his username at inception....he left out the "O" and the other "L" .

That assessment is a little lazy Ax. Lots of factors played into games where Kirk struggled. For starters, he hadn't started consistently :). That this stretch coincided with Reed not being available may have been coincidental or not - who knows? OL injuries and time for eventual starters to gel may also have played a part. I'm not sure the only logical conclusion one could draw from last year is that Cousins needs Reed to be successful. Several have made the same argument regarding Desean, an argument I am equally skeptical of...
Sure it's lazy. As most statistics are. But it's accurate.

And, for the record, I think Kirk handled the loss of Jackson, and Reed, better than the head coach did. He puts together some damn fine "If everything goes like we think it will" gameplans. But I've yet to see an inspiring Plan B out of the guy.

I'm giddy over the possibilities of a now more experienced Kirk, throwing to a healthy lineup of Reed, Garcon, Jackson, Crowder, and Doctson. Standing behind a more experienced Oline. If we can get an average running game going...........scurry.

Ah, we're back to the 'make adjustments' thing again, which is OK, part of the game and all that.

Now that we're acquiring 'super smart football players ' again, maybe any actual adjustments made on the fly can be implemented with some competence on the field.

I believe BB made a comment sometime back that Keenan was in the dog house because he liked to improvise too much.

Seems to me that players who go against the grain make it hard to actually plan A anything, let alone change to a plan B midstream and expect decent results.

Yes it all goes back to coaching, find strengths of individuals and develop schemes to suit but it's also up to the players to enhance their strengths and work on their weaknesses. Keenan's apparent weakness was to understand and stay in scheme allowing the other guys to do their jobs efficiently.

Perry Riley quite often looked 'lost' at times, why was that? Did Keenan do his thing and Perry tried to cover it? Keenan goes down, Will comes in and suddenly Perry does not look as bad IMO.

Well, while there is some risk in signing Reed long-term, his upside is definitely there.

Compare that to the Eagles giving Bradford $17M for 2016 and the Giants signing an average corner in Janoris Jenkins to a big contract in free agency.

We are getting away from making those kind of head-scratcher moves.

When we do shell out for players like Josh Norman they have the bona-fides to back up our interest in them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.