• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Retire Bobby Mitchell’s Number

I'm not diminishing Monk. But to list him as an absolute and Charley Taylor as a maybe is really suspect. The guy is an all timer - officially. Art Monk was the best possession receiver we ever had. He was Mr. Reliable and Mr. Durability and was a great WR. But Taylor was the most electric and explosive WR we've ever had. I have no idea what you mean by 'level of competition' Mike... it's all relative... sure - the players in more recent generations are playing against bigger, stronger, faster athletes who are better trained and conditioned than their predecessors - but so are the players we're talking about. I don't think that should be a rating factor as players and the game evolve over time. And ST - there is no argument for me. Not moving on this one. I wouldn't even have brought Monk into the convo except you made him a no-brainer when Taylor was at worst his equal in accomplishments. Imho, both are among the best WRs in NFL history.

And this is why I hate retiring numbers, because deserving guys will be denied and undeserving ones included. Put them all in the Ring of Fame and let fans argue about who the absolute best were over a beer :)

I heard a saying that might help: "If you put Jim Brown in today's league he gets half the yards he got rushing. If you put Barry Sanders back in the day he gets double the yards"

I can agree with one being absolute and the other maybe being suspect. But, Derek is pretty suspect in general LOL

I'm not diminishing Monk. But to list him as an absolute and Charley Taylor as a maybe is really suspect. The guy is an all timer - officially. Art Monk was the best possession receiver we ever had. He was Mr. Reliable and Mr. Durability and was a great WR. But Taylor was the most electric and explosive WR we've ever had. I have no idea what you mean by 'level of competition' Mike... it's all relative... sure - the players in more recent generations are playing against bigger, stronger, faster athletes who are better trained and conditioned than their predecessors - but so are the players we're talking about. I don't think that should be a rating factor as players and the game evolve over time. And ST - there is no argument for me. Not moving on this one. I wouldn't even have brought Monk into the convo except you made him a no-brainer when Taylor was at worst his equal in accomplishments. Imho, both are among the best WRs in NFL history.

And this is why I hate retiring numbers, because deserving guys will be denied and undeserving ones included. Put them all in the Ring of Fame and let fans argue about who the absolute best were over a beer :)

I edited my post the same time i replied earlier

It’s all good man... there’s nothing better to do in the summer doldrums than argue about Redskins dinosaurs. Maybe some day we can argue about current great players :)

Watching that offense back in the '60s with Sonny, Jerry, Charley, and Bobby was amazing.

Two things: If the team back then had a defense worth talking about, they could've won the first Super Bowl and a few more. And if Vince Lombardi had been their coach since 1964, people would've talked about the Redskins dynasty of the '60s and not the Packers.

The Steelers, Packers, Cowboys seem to have no issue celebrating and honoring their legendary players.

Retiring 9, 28, 42 and 81 is not a jersey burden.

The Redskins royally screwed up giving out Mitchell’s jersey a number of years ago and Snyder should have had 49 retired at the time as a sign of good faith. Instead it caused a rift with Bobby.

And the team should have been much faster in cutting visible ties to George Preston Marshall given his history in the league.

That fan seating section should never have been named after him in 1997.

To me, Bobby Mitchell and Ken Houston were both screwed by this organization.

The team should have retired Mitchell's number when he was enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Ken Houston was chosen one of the best players at his position for the 75th NFL Anniversary team and we hand out that number to camp fodder.

If I were the owner I would invite Kenny back to Washington for a ceremony and retire his number as well and APOLOGIZE for marginalizing his contributions to the Redskins over many years.

Reactions: Ax

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.