• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Retire Bobby Mitchell’s Number

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
June 20, 2020

WASHINGTON REDSKINS TO RETIRE THE LATE
BOBBY MITCHELL’S JERSEY

Team also announces that the lower level of FedExField will be renamed in honor of Mitchell

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today they will be retiring the jersey of the late Bobby Mitchell, number 49. This will mark only the second time in the team’s 88 year history a jersey number will officially be retired. The team also announced they are renaming the lower level of FedExField in honor of Mitchell.

“There is no one more deserving of these honors than the late Bobby Mitchell. Bobby was one of the most influential players not only in our team’s history, but in the National Football League. He excelled on the field, in the front office and most importantly in his community where he had a tremendous impact on the lives of so many through his charitable efforts. He was one of the greatest men I have ever known,” said Washington Redskins Owner Dan Snyder.

“Bobby would have been thrilled and humbled by this wonderful recognition. We were married for 64 years and while he worked hard and traveled throughout his life and was a dedicated football professional, he was also a totally dedicated family man. He was blessed by God with a large extended family and great friends. He was totally engaged in his work and his family and was a truly great man and a great husband. I would like to thank Dan Snyder and the entire Washington Redskins organization for this great honor,” said Gwen Mitchell, wife of Bobby Mitchell.
“This honor would have meant the world to him. He would have been thrilled, appreciative and humbled. He felt that the retiring of a jersey is the ultimate recognition of an athlete. My father was a great family man who would have embraced this well-deserved recognition of his many accomplishments,” said Terri Mitchell, daughter of Bobby Mitchell.
“He would have a look of shock on his face, just like he had when I told him he'd been selected to the same Professional Football Hall of Fame,” said Robert Mitchell, son of Bobby Mitchell.
"Bobby was our Jackie Robinson. He had to handle the pressure of being the first African American football player to integrate the Washington Redskins. He, like Jackie, was a military officer headquartered in the DC area when he received notice of his trade.,” said former Redskins safety Brig Owens. “In the face of great adversity, he served as a role model for the Washington, D.C. community, The Redskins, its fan base and the NFL. He was committed to the National Leukemia Society and the Shaw Food Committee where for 40 years they fed over 500 families at Thanksgiving. He was more than an exceptional football player and athlete, he was an exceptional human being. He was like a brother to me."

In addition, to the National Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Shaw Food Committee, Mitchell worked with a number of organizations to better his community. They included: the United Negro College Fund, the Howard University Cancer Research Advisory Committee, the American Lung Association of D.C., the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Commission, the National Urban League, the NAACP, the Junior Chamber of Commerce, the University of Illinois Presidents Council and the University of Illinois Foundation.

Bobby Mitchell played in the NFL for 11 seasons and was a member of the Washington Redskins for seven . He was selected to the Pro Bowl four times during his career and was a three-time First Team All Pro selection. Mitchell appeared in 148 career games and finished his career with 2,735 rushing yards and 7,954 receiving yards along with 3,389 return yards. Upon Mitchell’s retirement in 1968, his 14,078 all-purpose yards were the second most in NFL history.

Altogether he spent 41 seasons as a Redskin, as a player and front office executive. During his tenure the team captured three Super Bowl titles.
Mitchell’s jersey will be officially retired at a jersey ceremony at a future home game.

Bobby Mitchell passed away April 5, 2020.
-REDSKINS-

It should have been done A LONG time ago! There are a few more that should be a no brainer as well

Doug Williams?

Wooooooooooo!

You'd have to ask our MVP WR to change jerseys. But, yes smart ass, I could see retiring Doug's jersey in our system.

Doug
Art
Sonny
Sammy
Sean (sentimental)
Darrell
Grimm
Riggo

You'd have to ask our MVP WR to change jerseys. But, yes smart ass, I could see retiring Doug's jersey in our system.

Doug
Art
Sonny
Sammy
Sean (sentimental)
Darrell
Grimm
Riggo

Sammy's is the only other retired number we have. I'm not sure I would retire any other number...maybe Sean Taylor's for the reason you stated. Sonny? Probably, because his influence goes far beyond the football field.

Otherwise, keep it as it is. Honor those players that contributed, keep it an unwritten rule, and as in Haskins case...at the least get private assurance from the former player if possible.

Oh, so you hate Doug Williams?

MY MY MY!!! CHOOOOOOOCH!

You know, as a chooch, you have no right to call me a chooch.

only a chooch would have such a chooch thought. if this was the Army you'd make 1st Choochent

Im gonna tell Chooch Martin what you said.

9 - Sonny
21 - Taylor
28 - Green
42 - Charley Taylor
44 - Riggo
81 - Monk

arguments can be made for:

3 - Mosely
7 - Theisman
17 - Doug
30 - Mitchel
55 - Hanburger
72 - Manley
91 - Kerrigan (when he hangs them up)

edit: Boone made a good point about Charley Taylor being a top historical Redskin. He deserves to be up there, and they already dont give his number out.

Last edited:
I didn't even think of Mark. Wasn't he the only kicker to win MVP?

I disagree with Manley. I am also not sure its allowed. Isn't he banned for life from the NFL?

I didn't even think of Mark. Wasn't he the only kicker to win MVP?

I disagree with Manley. I am also not sure its allowed. Isn't he banned for life from the NFL?

Mostly included him because he's the franchise leader in sacks, which Kerrigan likely passes him for very quickly.

Mann > Manley

Don't shoot me for it lol

Charley Taylor is the best WR in Skins history. Again, modern bias will lead folks to point to Monk. 9100 receiving yds, 649 catches, 14 yds per catch, 79 TDs, and another 1488 yds rushing. He put up those #'s in 60 fewer games than Monk, playing in a run dominant era. There's no argument needed. He's a top 5 Redskin of all time.

Truth be told, I'm not really a fan of the whole 'retire the number' thing. At some point, teams will be looking at having to use triple digit numbers. I feel like the 'Ring of Fame' is more appropriate to adequately give the great players their due. The best of them are in the HOF anyway.

Charley Taylor is the best WR in Skins history. Again, modern bias will lead folks to point to Monk. 9100 receiving yds, 649 catches, 14 yds per catch, 79 TDs, and another 1488 yds rushing. He put up those #'s in 60 fewer games than Monk, playing in a run dominant era. There's no argument needed. He's a top 5 Redskin of all time.

He is a top 5 Redskin of all time

I don't think it's as clear cut as 'no argument needed'

Truth be told, I'm not really a fan of the whole 'retire the number' thing. At some point, teams will be looking at having to use triple digit numbers. I feel like the 'Ring of Fame' is more appropriate to adequately give the great players their due. The best of them are in the HOF anyway.

I dont know man, some numbers deserve to ONLY have a certain last name above them when you see them. I couldn't imagine seeing an 81 jersey with Westbrook or Doctson above it....

Last edited:
Charley Taylor is amazing and I fully respect him; but the level of competition does matter. Look at the people and physicality that Art dealt with to get those numbers.

To me it is like calling Jim Brown the greatest RB of all time. He is top 5, yes. But, not even close to the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.