• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 10/28

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
October 28, 2013
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On if there is any update regarding quarterback Robert Griffin III’s knee injury vs. Denver:
“No. Talking to [Dr.] Chris [Annunziata] this morning, I feel right just like I said after the game. Knee is fine. A little bit sore right now. That’s about it.”

On what is keeping the team from throwing the ball effectively:
“I think it’s a little bit of everything. You take a look at, sometimes it may be a quarterback’s read, other times it may be protection, next time it might be a dropped ball. The offense just may be a little bit different than it was a year ago. Combination of all of those things.”

On if he thinks Griffin III missing the offseason is affecting the offense:
“Everything is a growing experience. The more reps you get the better off you do get and we all understand that. But you asked me specifically if there is one area and I can’t say just one. This is a combination of a lot of different things. Sometimes you might see a guy wide open and it may be a misread or it may be a dropped ball or it may be a missed assignment or it may be somebody getting beat. So it’s a combination of all those things that keeps the passing game going.”

On Griffin III’s anticipation:
“That’s what I just finished saying. It’s a combination of all those things. Sometimes it may be a misread, may be missed timing, may be a missed block, but it takes all those things to make things go. When that’s not going, that could be one player for one play and another player for another play. I think coming off of that third quarter and the start of the fourth quarter, I think everybody saw the opportunity off the playaction for maybe a opportunity for [wide receiver] Josh [Morgan] to catch that ball or [wide receiver] Aldrick [Robinson] to keep drives going. Those are plays that you’re going to try to make and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.”

On if he expects Griffin III to miss any practice time this week:
“No. According to the doctors, it’s a little bit sore right now. He’s going to have a little more rehab this week which is typical of a quarterback or any other player having something hurt. But they feel he’s fine and he’ll be ready to go on Wednesday.”

On if there is anything they can change to help the passing game when it is struggling:
“That’s what you try to do going into the game, but, same thing I’ve been saying – it’s all those things. Which one is it? But the key to a great offense is to make sure you eliminate mistakes and everybody’s got to be in tune to be a top offense in the National Football League and if you’re missing one of the other areas, it costs you, sometimes dearly.”

On safety Brandon Meriweather’s comments that he feels the emphasis on avoiding hits to the head will lead to knee injuries:
“Well, I think it’s a concern in the National Football League that you can’t go helmet to helmet. Brandon knows that he’s got to go lower or he’s not going to be playing in the National Football League. You’ve got to hit in that waist area. You can’t go too low because you’re going to get fined there too. You know it’s above the knee and lower than the chin, somewhere in that chest area, and you’re going to have to step up because you can’t penalize your team and you can’t penalize yourself.”

On if he is worried how the league will react to Meriweather’s comments:
“Well, I’m not sure if I would have used those choice of words. I think I would have used different words, obviously. What happens with DBs a lot of times, when a running back is coming at you, do you hit them low or do you hit them high? Well most of those DBs, especially corners, they go low, and they have to go low because they can’t take people head-on. Safeties are a little bit different. They will take people head-on. Now those safeties have to go lower and it’s just part of the game. Nobody’s going to try to hurt anybody, but if you’re going to err on the side of caution, you would rather go low than you would high.”

On if the game against Denver was more frustrating or encouraging:
“I think what you do is after a game like that you take a look at your defense – how did they play – offense –
how did they play – special teams – how did they play – and there’s always some encouragement and there’s always things that you need to work on. As has been mentioned here, pretty inconsistent on offense, especially in that fourth quarter. You have seven drives and you’ve got five turnovers, you don’t get much worse than that, so there’s a lot of areas that you need to improve on.”

On injuries to players other than Griffin III:
“We’ve got a few guys beat up but I don’t want to talk about any injuries until Wednesday because they’ll go through treatment and a little rehab and see on Wednesday if anybody’s out.”

On if they will change their preparation this week because of the Thursday night game at Minnesota the following week:
“No we don’t, except from a coaching standpoint; you’re going to work a little bit harder on Friday and Saturday in preparation for that game. A lot of times you don’t work on another team in advance but on a Thursday game, a number of times you do. Usually it’s the day before when your game plan is already done for your upcoming opponent.”

On if he’s happy with the way special teams played yesterday:
“Yeah, you saw some great effort. I thought we made some strides the week before even though we had the one big punt return by [Chicago Bears returner Devin] Hester. But going into this game, I thought Denver was one of the top teams in the National Football League both in punt and kickoff returns. I liked our guys, I liked our energy, I liked our effort and we’ll keep on building on that.”

On what punter Sav Rocca said about his shanked punt:
“He didn’t have to tell me anything. I didn’t ask him anything. I haven’t seen him do that since he’s been here and that’s quite unusual. I’m sure he was trying to directional kick a little bit out of bounds and it just came off the side of his foot. Those things do happen.”

On if linebacker Brian Orakpo’s lack of production yesterday was a concern:
“Well, they chipped him a few times and we understand [Denver Broncos quarterback] Peyton [Manning] gets rid of the football very quickly. I think I’ll take four turnovers on defense and not worry about how many sacks 'Rak got – more so on how disruptive he was in the game. To get four turnovers on that football team is a little bit unusual and I’m proud of the ability for our defense to come up with those plays.”

On what dictated the imbalance of pass-to-run plays on first-downs in the fourth quarter:
“I think that’s always a question. I think that one run we had, we run the ball and went to second-and-14 after running the play, a loss of four. At the end of the day, you’ve got to make plays. We had seven – we had really nine drives in the second half, and seven of those were three plays and out. That’s what it averaged. If you can’t get any type of sequence relative to passing or throwing, things aren’t going to be good. We’ve got to be more effective than we were and obviously we weren’t that effective… You never know. It switches each game. A lot of it has to do with our tendencies. Sometimes we’ll try to offset those tendencies depending on what we did the week before. Other times it’ll just be a feel of what teams do on defense on first down, what their game plans are, what coverages they’re playing, how they’re supporting the run, what coverages – the mismatches you feel that you have.”

On if he feels the team is close to playing a full 60-minute game:
“That’s what we’re working for, to get that game. We’ve done it in spots. We haven’t done a complete game, which is frustrating. That’s what we’re working for, but we’ve got guys that will work. We’ve got guys that are showing up, giving us everything they’ve got and when you look at film and you do see that. So we’ve got to eliminate some of those mistakes and hopefully we put that together this weekend.”

On if it is a “fair assessment” to say that the offense can’t be “an elite group” if Griffin III doesn’t run the ball effectively:
“You made that assessment. All I’m saying is that we’re going to try to do everything to be the best we can be. So if we are deficient throwing the football, we’ve got to get better. I just explained to you – sometimes it may be a read, it may be an overthrow, it may be a protection issue, it may be a dropped ball – but everything that works together gives you a chance and that’s what we’re working for on offense. Same thing we did a year ago, but that consistency is the key to winning football games and we’re not there yet.”

i agree.

week by week it's becoming harder to defend the staff though.

the team has such deficiencies on the OL, secondary and even at wide receiver behind Pierre Garcon.

while it's great to see Jordan Reed breaking through at TE as a third round pick, where are LeRibeus, Gettis and Compton for the OL?

Hankerson and Robinson look far away now from being legitimate #2 and #3 receivers in this league.

$5M for Josh Morgan? I was on ESPN the other day and they had a list of the worst contracts for 2013 and Morgan was on it. He wasn't that high on the list but he made it as the writer asked how could a cash strapped team like the Redskins pay a guy that kind of money and then have him returning kickoffs as his primary role on the team? He can't even nail down the No. 2 receiver job with the scant competition on the roster.

As I indicated in a post on another thread, I think the Redskins will get some linemen. My concern is what kind?

If they are more of the undersized ZBS types that we have inhabiting Redskins Park these days you can keep them.

The premium today is on protecting the qb not setting up the run game.

In today's NFL you pass first to set up the run.

Shanahan is running an offensive scheme that worked back in 1997 and 1998 with John Elway and Terrell Davis. Like Gibbs when he came back in 2004 he failed to move forward and realize that the league had passed him by.

The weakness of Shanahan's attack is to stymie the running game, force the Redskins to throw the ball and count on the fact the OL can't hold their blocks and the QB won't be precise enough with the rush on him to complete 75-80 yard drives.

To me Shanahan just sounds like a guy who is content with his legacy and so called "Offensive Genius". He doesn't sound like a head coach that feels like he has to win because honestly, he doesn't. Sure he wants to win, just like anybody, but he doesn't have that "I haven't proven ****" mentality that probably gave the 1995-1998 Broncos an extra edge. This is probably more for his son, and his savings acct, another Championship would be gravy. He may as well be Spurrier cashing paychecks. He probably envied this gig from the Denver sidelines all those years too. Denver has great expectations while Washington would kill a 10-6 wildcard.

Actually this is what I expected anyway. We all knew back in Gibbs 2 era that Snyder wanted to get Shanahan if Denver ever dumped him after failing to win a thing without Elway/Davis/Smith/Sharpe and the Alex Gibbs OL. Now it's kinda resembling Dennis Green in Az, Bill Parcells in Dallas, or Jimmy Johnson in Miami.

Sorry man, but seriously - where are you getting all that? He seems...? Did you see the look on his face leaving the field yesterday? He looked to me like he was in agony. I don't think any of us knows what his motivations are and what he is thinking and feeling. Comparing him to Spurrier? That's just incredibly unfair. We won the NFC East last year. It won't be the last time in the next 5 years. We're not having a good year, but it's not like it's some grand mystery why that may be the case. But he's not Spurrier. I can't even believe you just typed that.

It's depressing to see so many guys here just throwing in the towel on the whole Shanahan era. I understand the frustration, but you guys act like the franchise hasn't made any progress since Shanahan's arrival and has had no success. That's just not the case.

Shanahan is running an offensive scheme that worked back in 1997 and 1998 with John Elway and Terrell Davis. Like Gibbs when he came back in 2004 he failed to move forward and realize that the league had passed him by.

It seemed to work pretty ****ing well last season Bulldog. I guess our offensive production was just some bizarre aberration or mass hallucination. I think it's fair to say that Kyle and Mike are still trying to figure out what kind of QB Griffin is going to be and can be and how the offensive scheme will evolve. I strongly suspect that if Griffin had not had a career-threatening injury last year, he'd be right back in there lighting it up again. But because he's not, we're going to question every minute detail of everything this coaching staff does.

And sorry if I'm railing on anyone here - but good Lord, someone has be counter the doom and gloom...We're not even half way through the season. Oh - and we're still, what, a game out of the NFC East lead, right? Anything can still happen. It really can :)

Shanahan and Spurrier are nothing alike as coaches. But the effect of their schemes is equivalent in terms of putting the qb at risk in the passing game. That was my point.

Success in the league is related to the health of your team and most specifically the health of the man who touches the ball on each snap of the game on offense.

Shanahan's scheme is based on establishing the run and setting up the pass off play action.

Teams have been moving for years in the direction of using the pass to set up the run. Drafting, signing and trading for OL and WR to give the QB the moving pieces he needs to be successful.

The decisions on the OL and at WR have been spotty the past couple of years. We have some draft picks that have developed very slowly and quite frankly look as if they might not be here next year whether Shanahan stays or not.

And Shanahan IMO didn't do Griffin any favors by using Year 1 to put him in a system that continued to play to his college strengths and put off the day when he had to start learning how to break down the NFL game and see the field the way Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady does.

And sorry if I'm railing on anyone here - but good Lord, someone has be counter the doom and gloom...We're not even half way through the season. Oh - and we're still, what, a game out of the NFC East lead, right? Anything can still happen. It really can :)

Man you're typing my thoughts bud. Funny how a division winner should fire the coach and blow up the offense

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They already blew up the offense.

I'm saying people want to blow it up now... I've even heard people suggest it would be smart to bench Morris for helu

I'm saying people want to blow it up now... I've even heard people suggest it would be smart to bench Morris for helu

Seriously? You've heard that? Are people even bothering to watch the games anymore? Helu is a really nice complementary back, but he is not close to the RB Morris is. I counted at least three cutback lanes that Helu missed on Sunday that Morris more than likely hits. Helu did make a couple of nice blitz pickups, which is why he is in there on third downs. But he's not close to Morris as a starting RB, imo.

Seriously? You've heard that? Are people even bothering to watch the games anymore? Helu is a really nice complementary back, but he is not close to the RB Morris is. I counted at least three cutback lanes that Helu missed on Sunday that Morris more than likely hits. Helu did make a couple of nice blitz pickups, which is why he is in there on third downs. But he's not close to Morris as a starting RB, imo.

Not saying I agree with it... just saying what I've heard people say.

I know, sorry. I didn't mean to make it seem like I was attacking you, my bad. I just find the idea ludicrous.

I know, sorry. I didn't mean to make it seem like I was attacking you, my bad. I just find the idea ludicrous.

You're good bud I was just clarifying

The weakness of Shanahan's attack is to stymie the running game, force the Redskins to throw the ball and count on the fact the OL can't hold their blocks and the QB won't be precise enough with the rush on him to complete 75-80 yard drives.

Nope. No need to stymie the running game, Kyle does that all by himself. Morris had 17 carries for 93 yards, averaging 5.5 yards a pop. I'm still convinced if he gets 30 carries, we win that game.

I generally share your optimism (I need a few more days to get over the anger stage and then I'll be right back there with you) but as the weeks go on the amount of weight being 1 or 2 games out of first in the division carries decreases. If this team continues to play like this and wins the division then, pardon me but, whoop de ****ing doo. They're not going to do a god damn thing in the playoffs playing like this. And their division crown will be more attributed to the lack of competition from the other 3 teams than any sort of dominate play by us.

The division is so terrible that at this point it's not important how many games out of first we are. Whats important is that the team start playing quality football. The sooner they do that, the better their chances of making the playoffs. Maybe, just maybe, they could be a competent competitive team come playoff time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.