• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan on franchise QB's

It's not like the Skins HAVN'T tried the 1st round QB route.
We HAVE.
And look at the types of QB's it's gotten us : Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, Heath Shuler.
Maybe the stats show most good QB's are 1st rounders, but not for the Redskins. We've gone at least 0 for 3 over the last 15 or so years.

Shuler was the last genuine 1st rounder we've taken - and he was supposed to be the next great QB. He was simply a bust. I also believe the science of QB evaluation has grown exponentially - the scouting experts are much more accurate nowadays imho.

Ramsey and Campbell? The only ones who thought they were 1st round QBs were the Redskins. And we're talking the 32nd and 25th pick respectively. That's a far cry from the kinds of QBs teams have a shot of in the first 3 or 4 picks in most drafts. I can't agree that the Redskins have invested franchise picks for a hoped for franchise QB - we rolled the dice on guys very few thought would be long-term NFL starters. And everyone else was right, not the Redskins.

I think Ax hit it. If Shan-Allen believes RGIII is their guy, they'll go get him. Period. If they don't, we may end up with Manning or a late round guy.

If the Redskins, or whoever else is interested, see RGIII as "The One", they will make a move to get him. It's not rocket science. If they're the Lone Ranger looking to move up, no problem. If not, the cost might get out of hand.

The HH article is a long winded, "I Like RGIII" write up. Just another,
"Am I The Only Smart Guy In The Room?" from a possible French Fry Technician at McDonald's, suggesting he could teach football people a thing or two, about a thing or two.

Gotta love the passion of fans.

9 times outta 10...you da man my brotha! but on this one I think you are being too dismissive. If the braintrust practices due dilligence and really believes this is the guy who will play for 10-12 years and be a star...I pull the trigger even if the cost is hefty.

Listening to Bill Simmons podcast with Mike Lombardi. Lombardi said the scuttlebutt around the Senior Game was the Skins were going after Kyle Orton. He didn't go into any detail about what that meant for the draft or anything else, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

9 times outta 10...you da man my brotha! but on this one I think you are being too dismissive. If the braintrust practices due dilligence and really believes this is the guy who will play for 10-12 years and be a star...I pull the trigger even if the cost is hefty.
I don't disagree. I said the cost might get out of hand if we have to fight a bidding war to move up. We may WANT to, but Cleveland has more bullets. And if they think he is "The One" too, we may just be out gunned. That's all I'm saying.

I don't disagree. I said the cost might get out of hand if we have to fight a bidding war to move up. We may WANT to, but Cleveland has more bullets. And if they think he is "The One" too, we may just be out gunned. That's all I'm saying.

got it. agree.

it is gonna get interesting as there are a number of options...all in the context of Shanahan with two years to go on his contract.

I do not see Manning coming to the Redskins.

Manning is not going to become a system QB for Shanny jr.

the shannys are too arrogant to alter their system for Peyton to take us to the next level.

And to be honest RG3 might be hindered from thriving if he came here, but with the only true option being Cleveland he may be praying that we trade up.

I posted over in the other thread that Steve Young was almost guaranteeing Peyton Manning ends up in a Redskins' uniform.

Shanahan was dumb enough to stake his reputation on Grossman and Beck so there isn't much to hope for really if we're counting on his evaluation skills. He's lost a lot of steps since his early years. Shanahan spent time with Tebow too but let him get away. We need real good scouts first and foremost.

B.

Shanahan was dumb enough to stake his reputation on Grossman and Beck so there isn't much to hope for really if we're counting on his evaluation skills. He's lost a lot of steps since his early years. Shanahan spent time with Tebow too but let him get away. We need real good scouts first and foremost.

B.

That staking his reputation talk, was just for PC... He knew that both Rex a Beck were stop gaps for this season.. Secondly, the Redskin scouting department is highly regarded around the league, its just that Vinny wasn't smart enough to heed their advice..

That staking his reputation talk, was just for PC... He knew that both Rex a Beck were stop gaps for this season.. Secondly, the Redskin scouting department is highly regarded around the league, its just that Vinny wasn't smart enough to heed their advice..

I would say that requires a LOT of supposition on your part, how can we really say it was for PC? It was a helluva load that both Shanahans staked on the subject and to Sports Illustrated no less:
"I'm not sure after talking to Mike Shanahan and his offensive coordinator son, Kyle, who likes Beck more. Kyle: "My first year as a position coach in the league, Houston had me scout all the quarterbacks coming out that year,'' Kyle Shanahan said. "That was the JaMarcus Russell year, with Brady Quinn, Trent Edwards, Kevin Kolb and Beck. So they asked me who I'd pick if I had the 10th pick in the draft. I told them Beck. They said he's not worth the 10th pick in the draft. I was standing on the table for him. I've never seen a guy play that well in college.''
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/1.html
If they were stopgaps, then say nice things about them, sure, but that was way over the top.
I'm not sure who highly regards our scouting dept. But with the myopic Shanahans in charge, I don't think it matters. Just my opinion, but predicting futility in the Snyder era is just too easy. And if Grossman and Beck were stopgaps why didn't he grab a QB in the first or second round last year?? If he was really thinking stop gaps, that would have been wise.

B.

Last edited:
Shanahan spent time with Tebow too but let him get away.
I would say that suggests that Shanny does indeed know what he's doing.

Tebow is a great kid. But to date, he wouldn't make a pimple on a real NFL QB's butt. We'll have to see if time can change that.

I would say that suggests that Shanny does indeed know what he's doing.

Tebow is a great kid. But to date, he wouldn't make a pimple on a real NFL QB's butt. We'll have to see if time can change that.

I think that's too strong. He's been inconsistent but no worse than some other great ones who also developed slowly like Elway and some others. . He's more than a great kid, he's got a great work ethic, great sense of responsibility and can inspire his teammates. Not to mention his desire which is huge. Mike Ditka said he's fine and the stuff he has are things you can't coach.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgboIo5X8PQ[/media]

BUT, let's not turn this thread into a Tebow debate!
Now, as for Shanahan on Tebow, he had nothing but praise for him. Maybe he was hoping to get him on a later round but shucks, he had his eyes on Grossman and Beck so why bother?!
Shanahan on Tebow: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/mike-shanahan/mike-shanahan-on-tim-tebow-hes.html

B.

Last edited:
I think that's too strong. He's been inconsistent but no worse than some other great ones who also developed slowly like Elway and some others. . He's more than a great kid, he's got a great work ethic, great sense of responsibility and can inspire his teammates. Not to mention his desire which is huge.
To me, "Great kid" includes all the variables you list. I just didn't spell them out. And, with time, and lots of work, Tim might yet prove to be an average or better QB. But for now, he is better suited to be a starting RB, than QB. And there's now guarantee he would be a good RB, if he weren't running out of the QB position.

To me, "Great kid" includes all the variables you list. I just didn't spell them out. And, with time, and lots of work, Tim might yet prove to be an average or better QB. But for now, he is better suited to be a starting RB, than QB. And there's now guarantee he would be a good RB, if he weren't running out of the QB position.

I'll have to disagree and like I said I don't want to turn this into a Tebow thread.

B.

I'll have to disagree and like I said I don't want to turn this into a Tebow thread.

B.
That's cool, my friend. But it is a QB thread. Friendly debate on who is, or is not, a franchise QB, is in keeping with the spirit me thinks.

And I do agree with what i think one of your other points was. That Shanny doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his QB selection ability, based on his moves here, so far.

And I do agree with what i think one of your other points was. That Shanny doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his QB selection ability, based on his moves here, so far.

One could make the argument that the only good QB decision that he has made in his career was Cutler and even he isn't a top five quarterback.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.