• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Salary Cap Hearing Set For May

If this is dismissed or Burbank rules in favor of Mara and Co. I see Burbank as nothing more then a paid puppet of the NFL.

Having said that I wonder what Goodell will do for payback for embarrassing him and his lackey (or other way around) Mara.

Heard this being discussed on NFL radio earlier. The impression I got is they feel the ruling will be in favor of the NFL. I know this the NFL's station, but they said according Goodell the hearing will uphold the penalty.

Oh really? Goodell said he thought the penalty his office oversaw would be upheld? Really? Shocking, I tell ya.

Interesting, the penalty is imposed by one division rival and held in court by another.

Smells really bad to me, hope Danny and his fiend from Texas get ready for the appeal.

The arbitrator teaches in philly, that's why it being held there.

I've said it before, but, anything short of complete exoneration, and a return of cap space, means the fix is in. If Roger Gestapo and the NFL Crime Family can get away with this, they can do anything.

I also think we should get some compensatory draft picks in next years draft to make up for lost free agents during this current off season. But that would be too fair.

I've said it before, but, anything short of complete exoneration, and a return of cap space, means the fix is in. If Roger Gestapo and the NFL Crime Family can get away with this, they can do anything.

I also think we should get some compensatory draft picks in next years draft to make up for lost free agents during this current off season. But that would be too fair.

I know it's unlikely, but that would actually be fair compensation...that or give us first shot (12 hours) at Free Agency next year.

I think we're screwed, blued, and tattooed to be honest. I just don't expect us to get anything at this point. I really hope I'm completely wrong, but I don't have a good feeling about this.

Hopefully our team prevails and gets back all the salary cap for next year, and perhaps some extra compensation as well.

What I would find most interesting is if the lawyer team attacks the union first in this dispute. Ask the union what is their grievance (hence their agreed to punishment) with the Redskins paying players more money in the form of guaranteed salaries in an uncapped year?

Then listen to either crickets (ala Goodell when asked what an uncapped season means) or for them to state they did so only to collude with the NFL for a higher salary cap by the other 30 teams. Either way that should be the end of it (or so I like to think). But since the arbitrator is paid by the NFL I know it will be not that simple.

Interesting, are the Cowboys having this difficulty due to the salary cap penalty ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...aiborne-until-june?module=HP11_headline_stack

Report: Dallas Cowboys can't sign Morris Claiborne until June

The Dallas Cowboys are waiting for former cornerback Terence Newman's contract to expire June 1 before signing any of their seven draft picks, including first-rounder Morris Claiborne, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Saturday, citing a source.

Newman was cut in March, but the $6 million salary-cap figure tied to his contract will not come off the books until June.

The rookie pool for the Cowboys' draft picks is $5.714 million. The team currently has about $2.14 million in cap space available.

The Cowboys have enough money to sign all their picks except Claiborne, for whom Dallas traded up to the St. Louis' Rams No. 6 overall pick in April's NFL draft, according to The Star-Telegram. The Cowboys need Newman's $6 million to work out a deal with Claiborne, who's expected to receive a contract similar to what last year's sixth overall pick, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones, did. Jones got a four-year, $16.2 million deal, including a $10.27 million signing bonus.

The Cowboys' financial inflexibility is one reason they haven't made a play for free-agent wide receiver Jacoby Jones, according to The Star-Telegram. Jones, who recently was cut by the Houston Texans, has a career 23.3-yard kickoff-return average with one touchdown and a career 10.2-yard punt-return average with three touchdowns.

It shouldn't be because of the penalty.

You don't have a 'salary cap' until the week after the last preseason game. Right now only the top 50 players on a team actually count towards the cap. So you could sign 100 players and be way over the cap, as long as your highest-paid 50 are under the cap.

You don't have to get everyone (including practice squad) under the cap until week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure where the leak is coming from (not anyone in here), but this needs to be kept low key in here - but it is out there now - to a small extent.

This is what has been said and it is not set in stone, but...

It appears as if the Redskins will get about $4 mil to $10 mil back this year (Probably somewhere in the middle of that range) and all $18 mil next year.

It won't be announced right away (arbitration is on Thursday), but the news could break sometime next week.

Just keep it in this thread - ok?

It's all over ES and CPND - that's about as out there as it can get. Whether true or not, I don't know.

that's great for 2013, but the extra cap space isn't worth much now with the current crop of free agents out there.

would have been nice to sign Aaron Ross at CB or Ben Grubbs earlier in FA.

instead we are going with Cedric Griffin who is coming back from two ACL reconstructions.

Again, good news for 2013 :)

It's all over ES and CPND - that's about as out there as it can get. Whether true or not, I don't know.

I won't say anything about "truth" or otherwise. Back in March (in this forum), I said that both sides would probably work toward a solution that saves face for both sides. Got a stern lecture for saying it and was told to zip it - that source was adamant about it too. But this simply would confirm what has probably been going on behind the scenes for several weeks.

The only thing I saw was CPND a few hours ago and not ES - had to figure it would happen with the bigger forum though once it was out there. But they are giving LRRH a little too much credit - just saying. Not sure who leaked it, but it wasn't me and it was only out there amongst a few - but all it takes is one.

Just hope this leak doesn't derail things.

BB, the only thing that made sense for either side was to do exactly what they've done. As you suggested weeks ago, as did I and a few others as I recall, neither side could afford to have this go the legal route--I'm almost certain that both sides went into this knowing that they intended to settle and that it was just a matter of pegging the numbers.

As to the "leak," as I have suggested before I don't think there are any "accidental" leaks from the league these days--not on the serious issues. Trial balloons are pretty standard stuff and the league is pretty good at easing into news like this to let any potential bad reaction from the fan base diffuse and play out before the official announcement...and to let the league see what the reactions ARE and have their reponses cued up and ready to go long before they go live with the news. I have little doubt that this one was anything other than smart PR given the times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.