• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

S%^T hits the fan with Haynesworth

I like how his agent says, "This situation will be a distraction to the Redskins and to Albert and his teammates. I am certain [head coach] Mike [Shanahan] and [General Manager] Bruce [Allen] want to get the most out of their first year and it's probably in everyone's best interests for the Redskins to make a deal and trade Albert."

Sounds like a threat to me. At this point, I am done! I was ready to defend this fat, lazy, money grubbing slob because he can play football if he wants to! He is so stupid he can't even see that his presence in this scheme would likely make him a Pro-Bowler.

Let the fat **** sit out! Don't trade him! Refuse to trade him!!!! Fine him every day he sits out!!! Make his fat ass sit the whole year! All we are losing is money that is already gone. Would it be nice to pick up a draft pick or solid lineman? Yes! But I would make this fat piece of **** sweat!

agree. same mindset.

Nice post Henry. My post above echoes this (which is why I agree with you :)), if we wait for training camp injuries and preseason injuries, we come from a position of strength.

Again, the Jason Taylor thing comes to mind. If there is a team that loses a DT, and honestly believes they are close to making a playoff/SB run, I would think they would strongly consider parting with a couple of higher draft picks, which would be fine with me.

Cause, you know, my opinion matters lots.

:)

does AH have a trade-approval clause?

this is so idiotic on so many levels.

does AH really think he is going to out-PR a two time SB winning coach respected around the league? does he not realize that this is gonna impact his ability to reach the greatness he asserted over the off-season was a goal for him?

I can see skipping OTAs. this? stupid.

i know there is a very strong fraternity among NFL owners...and im sure that danny isnt among the favorites of said owners...but i wonder if given the absolute grievous nature of this situation...if danny could contact all the other owners and say we are going to cut him, please no one else sign him.

is that even legal (to black ball) someone?

Nothing is illegal until you get caught;)

I don't think any other owners want to see this type **** happen, because they know if it's allowed, it's only a matter of time before they're in the same boat

The owners can't risk even the appearance of impropriety at this point---not with the CBA issue looming. Colluding in the sense of tacitly agreeing no one pays AH and uses him as an example I'm sure would be tempting to some of them, but the potential fallout should word get out should make it not worth the risk.

That said ... little would make me feel better about this whole foul-tasting scenario than seeing this almost unbelievably shallow self-centered man twist publicly in the ill wind he alone has wrought.

Uh oh. I'm feelin' it. Where's my damn typewriter ...

Interesting, and damning, comments from teammates:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5292862

Also, check what Shanahan says (also in link):

Coach Mike Shanahan revealed that the Redskins told Haynesworth in February that they would agree to release him and let him go to another team -- in exchange for not paying him a $21 million bonus due April 1.

"Obviously, he took the check," Shanahan said, "so I was surprised he wasn't here today. ... Don't take our check and then say that, hey, you don't want to be part of our organization."

The Redskins are now pursuing the return of that $21 million payment, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Back at the end of July in 1980, John Riggins left training camp amidst a contract dispute with the Redskins. Know what the Redskins' response was at the time?

Anybody?

They retired his ass. They didn't sit him, they didn't trade him, they didn't release him....they RETIRED him. Now, how great is that? They would not be held hostage by one of the greatest running backs in NFL history (a portion of his legacy, of course, was yet to be written) and found a swift and efficient way to ensure that he did not play for the Redskins, or anyone else, that entire year.

Now, I'm pretty certain that if Haynesworth ever wants to return to the NFL he won't be broke......although he may be bored. One thing I hope we can say with a reasonable sense of assurance is that he definitely won't be back with the Redskins.

One wonders if suing for Breach of Contract is even an option...

Probably not but it sure makes for a lovely thought.

One wonders if suing for Breach of Contract is even an option...

Probably not but it sure makes for a lovely thought.

I doubt it. The Skins can fine him but really that's about it. Now, if he starts skipping training camp.....not only could they fine him, but I think the Redskins might be able to go after some bonus then.

Above anything here Albert wants to keep that fat check we just stroked him. He'll show up to regular training camp, he has 21 million reasons to do so.

From what I understand, it doesn't sound like the Redskins will be able to get at Haynesworth's signing bonus money unless he starts missing training camp.

This is coming from @SalaryCap101, a former salary cap analyst for the Redskins.

He said:
CBA Art XIV Sect 9 (a): forfeiture permitted "if plyr willfully (&) substantially (undermines) ability to contribute train camp & reg season

Doesn't sound like mini-camp fits in there.

Above anything here Albert wants to keep that fat check we just stroked him. He'll show up to regular training camp, he has 21 million reasons to do so.

Pretty sure I heard that about mini-camp too. Everyone said Al wasn't stupid and he would do nothing to put a single red cent in jeopardy. Apparently "everyone" had not clue what they were talking about.

CBA Art XIV Sect 9 (a): forfeiture permitted "if plyr willfully (&) substantially (undermines) ability to contribute train camp & reg season

that sounds like a good position for the redskins to deal from.

invite Fatass to camp and put him out there in front of all the rookies and say "if you p!ss off THIS administration or disrespect the redskins organization in ANY way...THIS is what happens to you.

then run Fat@ss through every awful drill...in that awful august heat.

failure to comply means he is "willingly and substantially" trying to undermine this coaching staffs authority.

have him get rookies their food and wash their clothes throughout training camp.

there seems to be lost of ways to make AH life a living hell according to those guidelines.

i have more (way twisted) ideas if the skins are interested! free of charge...i dont like thieves! :beadyeyes:

Pretty sure I heard that about mini-camp too. Everyone said Al wasn't stupid and he would do nothing to put a single red cent in jeopardy. Apparently "everyone" had not clue what they were talking about.

Let me clarify my thoughts here. Above everything I think he wants his money. If he sits out of training camp the players association is not going to be able to help him much in retaining his payout and he'll end up in the same boat as Ricky Williams.

So I think if he's not moved by the start of camp he'll have no choice if he wants to get his money. But hey...what do I know?

From what I understand, it doesn't sound like the Redskins will be able to get at Haynesworth's signing bonus money unless he starts missing training camp.

This is coming from @SalaryCap101, a former salary cap analyst for the Redskins.

He said:

Doesn't sound like mini-camp fits in there.

I saw that also, but couldn't a mandatory mini-camp be counted as undermining the training camp AND the regular season? Its certainly preparation for both - mandatory preparation for both.

What is dropping in value faster? The street value of a Haynesworth Redskin jersey or BP stock?

I submit that the best way to increase his trade value is to sit him. Right now I don't think his trade value is particularly high. He doesn't want to be here and he won't play for us, so our leverage in a possible trade is fairly low. However, if we make it clear that we'd be just fine sitting him for whole season if we have to, we are negotiating with possible trade partners from a stronger position. Our apparent desperation to get him out of town ASAP is gone.

I'd say 'we'll entertain offers but if we don't get one we like we'll damn well sit the SOB all season long.'

This is what I hope we do--i.e., show Albert and the rest of the league that we're serious/can't be bought off cheaply/don't mind sitting him down and shutting him up. That way, we can use the huge $ that Snyder already sank into the contract to sweeten the trade pot: Albert is a tremendous bargain for some team agreeing to take over only his relatively small (and not guaranteed) salaries, not having had to pay the huge bonus. He should easily be worth a 1st-round pick, given his value as a player and his small salary cap hit--so long as other teams realize we aren't itching to get rid of him. And b/c the huge bonus we paid him counted against the uncapped year, the only downside hit in this scheme is to Snyder's wallet, not to the team's short- or long-term salary cap.

If I were Snyder, though, I might well not do that: I'd have Shanahan or Allen say that we will fine Albert for missing mandatory mini-camp, we expect Albert to show up at training camp and be ready to play nose tackle or end or wherever he's asked to play, that's his job, and he's well paid to do it, and now I'm focused on the players who are here and who want to win, and I don't expect to talk or think about him unless and until he comes in and is ready to do his job. Then, maybe Albert shows up at training camp and accepts his lot and starts playing hard for pride purposes, and we've won. Or maybe, b/c his nose has been rubbed in it, he refuses to show up. And once he's refused to show up for training camp, or technically shows up but materially undermines his value to the team through his training camp conduct, then we have great leverage to get his bonus back (and toss him to the curb, or trade him for a mid-round pick.

Some relevant, interesting background info on Albert's re-negotiated contract: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2010/under-cap-redskins-utilizing-uncapped-year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.