• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RG3 Says He'll Have To Beat Out Rex Grossman

Rex has the same problem that separates the vast collection of journeymen NFL QB's from it's few legit starters--the man can't make plays if his first option isn't there.

We haven't had a guy who could make something happen when his primary was covered, either with his smarts like Ryp could for a few seasons, or Brad Johnson could for half a season, or his smarts and quicks like Joey T could a generation ago, for a very long time.

It remains to be seen if RG3 will have that capacity with his arm/head. No question his legs will help him make plays early in his career, but what will determine his long-term success or not will be what he's able to do with his brain and arm down the road.

Oh, and since we're exercising our braggadocio, in my younger days, I could throw a measured 68 yards with an official NFL size football.

saying i throw as well as rex grossman at 25 yards was supposed to say more about rex grossman than me :)

yeah i guess he was 'better' than mcnabb, but that word is very much a relative word and i wouldn't say he was better by much.

from the upper level i saw wr's running wide open pretty much every play. he couldn't see them, and when he could he couldn't get the ball to them.

I really hope we're not making a mistake tomorrow night. Is John Beck not still on this roster? Aside from the comment RG3 made about Staubach being the retired QB he feels most reminds himself of (have to admit, Bruce Allen probably got a little fired up!), then he completely overlooks Beck as potential training camp competition. The same Beck, mind you, who contributed to a record-setting day, as Roy Helu obliterated Art Monk's record for single-game receptions.

Man, hope its not too late to contact Matt Kalil.

:joke:

Thom Levero said it best:
The worst thing that could happen to the Legacy of John Beck was for John Beck to take a snap during an NFL game.

Man, that was a bandwagon I was on all training camp/preseason.... up through week 5.

Grossman will probably start, until the first time he pulls one of those goofy looking "I'm just back here in the pocket. Oh, my guard got lightly pushed into me, so I think I'll just drop the ball right here" plays. Or just a nasty pick. That'll be all she wrote for Grossman

I think the only way RG3 doesn't start week one is if the OL is in an injury-induced shambles coming out of preseason. In that case I could see him deciding the better part of valor is to let Rex get beat up than risk his rookie QB's wheels to some Saint defender having bounty flashbacks.

the saints game should be a little easier for rg3.

half the defense will be suspended for at least 1 game.

I would be shocked if Beck is on the opening day roster.

The team needs to bring along a developmental qb and Beck at 30 and with a $1M salary does not fit the profile of a typical #3.

A rookie is going to cost $300K.

That savings is enough to sign another player near the vet minimum for depth elsewhere.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I would be shocked if Beck is on the opening day roster.

The team needs to bring along a developmental qb and Beck at 30 and with a $1M salary does not fit the profile of a typical #3.

A rookie is going to cost $300K.

That savings is enough to sign another player near the vet minimum for depth elsewhere.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

You could always pick up Tannehill for the league minimum after this season. He won't be a rookie, but a 2nd year guy can't be too pricey.

The team needs to bring along a developmental qb and Beck at 30 and with a $1M salary does not fit the profile of a typical #3.Posted via BGO Mobile Device
He's already here. Jonathan Crompton. With a year in the system already under his belt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.