• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RG3 a Redskin? Cowboy Fans Don't Like It :)

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Here's the article.

And there's a pretty heated debate going on over at sicem365.com .

Enjoy :cheers:

Last edited:
For those in that thread who say we would never accept any fans from Texas...

You are welcomed here with open arms. We have a substantial number of fans who come from Texas and they are a part of the family.

Welcome to the forum. You are amongst friends here. The virtual tailgate is next week (see above thread in the sticky area) and you are invited to join in the fun.

wacko is getting attacked in that thread but he's right.

you're either a fan of a team, or your a fan of a player. if you're going to root for the redskins you're not a cowboys fan. you can say 'i hope he does well', but to actively root for his new team is absurd.

if cooley was released and the cowboys picked him up i wouldn't root for the cowboys. i'd say thanks for what you did here chris, now i hope your team sucks until you find a new one.

we went through this (although to a lesser extreme) with colt a few years ago. those people weren't 'redskins fans'. they were colt brennan fans.

wacko even said - that doesn't make you a bad fan. it just makes you not a cowboys fan.

likewise - these 'cowboys fans' who are going to become 'redskins fans' are not either, they are 'RG3' fans. there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. and over time, if RG3 is successful here, they may become true redskins fans and cheer for the team long after RG3 leaves/retires. and in that case cool - welcome to the club, try not to lose your hair during the 10-20 year periods of sucking we have.

but don't try to blow smoke up my ass about how you're now a redskins fan. you were obviously not a real cowboys fan to begin with, and you're sure as **** not a redskins fan now, you're a baylor/'RG3' fan - again, there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

I do, however, hope you become a redskins fan. I just hope you become one for the right reasons, not because they have RG3 or because they start winning games.

but please, lets call it what it is.

(PS: I fully recognize i may be an 'elitest' redskins fan, and that many here may disagree with me. it's from growing up in a family that's lived/breathed redskins for the last 60 years)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, how many fans did Tebow bring to the Broncos because of his faith and off the field activities who are now off the Denver bandwagon?

More than just a few. Some of these folks were showing up to games and quoting biblical passages on signs and comparing Tebow to Joshua.

I heard NY never met a sinner it didn't like :)

Interesting place to land.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I don't think you are being elitist, tshile.

Fans of a team root for the team first. Fans of a player root for the player first. I don't know how that can be considered insulting to anyone.

I do find it amusing how many Cowboy fans are saying 'the Cowboys suck anyway so I guess I'll become a Redskin fan now.' I can't imagine a Redskin fan saying that. Hell, I can't imagine a Giant or Eagle fan ever saying that. Then again, that's a Baylor board so those guys are probably College fans first anyway.

In any case, between this and the Salary Cap nonsense it sure does seem like the rivalry is shifting. The Giants certainly are trying their damndest to be at the top of our **** list. I know I'll be rooting against them with a much stronger intensity than in years past ...

yeah... at the end of the day i hate all our division rivals. for me, it has a lot to do with off the field affiliations. like it or not, the cowboys-skins games are the 'safest' to go to at the stadium... i see more fights, more drama, etc at the skins-giants and skins-eagles games.

but back to RG3... yeah, it is amusing. the fans we have always made fun of for being bandwagon fans are now saying they're switching teams because the cowboys have sucked for so long and RG3 is supposed to be so good.

there clearly isn't a more prefect fanbase to use for the definition of bandwagon fans.

The sad truth of the matter is that these fans exist in every fanbase. If some die-hard VT fans who are also Redskins fans see Logan Thomas get drafted by the Cowboys next year, you'll see some of the same thing. Its only being publicized because of all the RG3/Luck hype this season.

I know plenty of die-hard Cowboys fans who are just like us, who would never switch their affiliations.

i went to go pay my cell phone bill , and tha guy behind the counter was a cowgirl fan and saw my redskins logo on my fore-arm ...he was hating big time on the skins ...he just hopes callas goes all defense , so they have chance to stop rg3....felt good to have a cowgirl fan hating on the skins for once , he said all our games are close everytime we play with rg3 i dont think callas will ever win another game vs the skins ..HTTR

Some of you guys are making the assumption that the majority of the Baylor fans are by definition Dallas fans. I'm not sure that's the case. On www.baylorfans.com, there are certainly plenty of Dallas fans, but also a number of Redskins fans, Texans fans, and guys who verbalize not being a fan of a specific NFL team.

So it's not about 'turning' a Cowboy fan in a lot of cases. A real Dallas fan, just like a real Redskins fan, isn't changing his allegiance because his favorite college player gets drafted by the enemy. Just isn't going to happen. I'm with wacko over there - a real NFL fan would never root against his own team, much less change allegiances.

But there are guys who were maybe lukewarm Dallas hangers-on (I won't call them fans), or didn't have a primary team, who might be new Redskins fans.

As I've said on here before - I'm a huge Cowboy fan and was one long before I decided to attend Baylor. I disagree with Wacko from baylorfans.com (I'm one of the guys on there peacefully arguing with him). There are very few exceptions for a Cowboy fan to root for anything associated with the Redskins (and vice versa). In my opinion, as a huge Baylor fan also, this is one of them.

RG3 is by far the single most influential person in the history of Baylor - my alma mater. As long as he remains the same quality person that he's proven to be, he's earned my support for the rest of his career - no matter where he is playing.

I bought another TV and just had the directv guy come out and install another box in my house so I can make sure RG3 is on my TV every second he's on the field. I'll root for RG3 this season even if that means indirectly rooting for the Skins to win. And truthfully, I'd rather him go to the Skins than the Eagles - not because I hate Eagles more, but because I think the Skins create a better situation for RG3.

Sic Em Bears.

I can't wait for D-Ware and the Boys to destroy the Skins this year - just don't hurt RG3.

Ditto to what DallasNotLaw said

I agree 100%. But also I am no longer a rapid fan of the Cowboys. Jerry Jones ruined my enthusiasm for the Cowboys. Pro sports are too much a business these days with little loyalty to the fans.
Sic Em Bears.

I agree 100%. But also I am no longer a rapid fan of the Cowboys. Jerry Jones ruined my enthusiasm for the Cowboys. Pro sports are too much a business these days with little loyalty to the fans.
Sic Em Bears.

I can see this aspect of it as well - I knew plenty of Redskins fans who were "die hards," but swore to never give Danny another penny or stopped watching games altogether during the lean years.

Not to mention, Peter Angelos has made me a Nationals fan almost 100% - talk about ruining a proud franchise!

I can see this aspect of it as well - I knew plenty of Redskins fans who were "die hards," but swore to never give Danny another penny or stopped watching games altogether during the lean years.

Not to mention, Peter Angelos has made me a Nationals fan almost 100% - talk about ruining a proud franchise!
Funny. I have never, and will never, entertain the thought of rooting for another NFL team. I am either a Redskins fan, or I'll stop watching football. With every mistake Snyder has made, he has done nothing worth anyone giving up on this team. Nothing.

Unlike Peter "Pond Scum" Angelos, who ruined baseball for me. As I am an Oriole fan, but I've stopped watching baseball. I patiently await the day that piece of dehydrated maggot **** is out of the picture. Until then, I will continue my insignificant boycott. I hung in there until Cal retired, and then, it was over.

Funny. I have never, and will never, entertain the thought of rooting for another NFL team. I am either a Redskins fan, or I'll stop watching football. With every mistake Snyder has made, he has done nothing worth anyone giving up on this team. Nothing.

Oh, me neither. Redskins till I die!

Ooh! Can I play? :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0[/media]

Hello everybody, another RG3 fan from Baylor here and I think I can shed a little light on this subject as I've been a Cowboy's fan since birth as well.

First of all, most of us are Baylor fans before anything else and for me that will likely always be the case. So yes, we're largely college fans first.

Second, we'd been awful at football for a very long time before RG3 came around (and Briles, our coach). If you are not a Baylor fan I'm not sure if you can fully appreciate what RG3 has done for us. We used to be the joke of the conference athletically despite our success in other sports. We were nearly left for dead TWICE in realignment in the last 18 months alone. We'd never won a Heisman, only won 10 games one other time (1980), and hadn't been to a bowl game since before our freshmen were born.

RG3 not only helped turn our program around, but all of his interviews, awards, speeches, etc. cast Baylor in a positive light like nothing we've ever seen and possibly like nothing we'll ever see again. As you well know, he's truly special in terms of personality and interviews. Our AD has estimates that the publicity he generated for Baylor last year alone was worth $200 million-$500 million for a school with an operating budget of $428.6 million for the entire university. That's before the draft and before he plays on Sundays.

Although I don't think I could ever be a Redskins fan, I am very much an RG3 fan. If that means I have to root for the Redskins (a team I've been taught to loath my entire life), then so be it. It's definitely what's best for Baylor and it's best for RG3, someone that has done more for our school that most will ever know.

Sic 'em Bears

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Krieg. Strong first post.

I'm a Virginia Tech alum, graduating way back in '83. In my time at Tech our program was largely an afterthought. No conference affiliation, little accomplishment. Zero buzz or name recognition. "Virginia Tech? I thought it was VPI or something."

We had a great time at games, but that was all too often despite the team ... I remember all too well sitting through a 6-0 loss home loss to VMI in 1981. Sigh.

When Michael Vick came along, everything changed. He was pretty silent back then, and we had no inkling about his future, um, issues, that would make his image something very different down the road. Mike did nothing short of put VT on the national map, not just athletically, but as you note, in every possible broader sense an academic instiution can be.

The pre- and post-Vick eras at VT could not contrast more starkly.

I can understand the loyalty to RG3 from Baylor fans. I wonder what my reaction would have been to seeing Vick go to the Cowboys ... there would have been no change in my team allegiance---I'm Redskins through and through. But I absolutely would have tuned in and wathced Cowboys games differently. Much as I still tune in, with mixed feelings, to Eagles games today, even WITH all the unhappy associations surrounding Vick's name now.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know your sentiments are, if not as keenly felt as they clearly are for you, at least understood.

Hail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.