• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rex to Start?

Ain't it Great. Seems like nothing has changed. Is Vinny still in the building and we don't know. This whole thing reeks.

Danny, please hire a player personnel guy. It's obvious that Shanahan isn't the man.

Lanky has said it all. I'm so pissed I feel like skipping the game on Sunday.

Bottom line, I think McNabb gives us a better chance to win the game....maybe

But the rest of the team would find a way to tank it anyway

Wow. I go take a test, and this happens. Sheesh.

My take, since i know everyone cares is that this needs to be systemic throughout that offense and defense. If we are going to start playing the younger players to see what they can do, great. I would have preferred not to start with the Cowboys game, given all our feelings towards them, and the fact that these moves will exponentially decrease our chances of winning. But as long as they are going to do it across the board, so be it.

If the Shanahan's do not go for a youth movement in the remaining three games across the board and try to sell us on the idea that Rex gives us more of a chance to win, I will be disgusted. Anyone who tries to make that argument is lying to themselves.

Also, eveif they do make the youth movement change, someone needs to take a moment and educate Mike Shanahan about the best rivalry in sports. Don't make cataclysmic changes before the Dallas game!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It is clear now that Kyle Shanahan has had enough of the Donovan McNabb experiment and McNabb will likely be traded in the offseason.

Rex Grossman took the Bears to a Super Bowl but was much like Trent Dilfer in Baltimore in 2000, he was a 'manager' and not a playmaker. The defense and special teams carried the Bears in 2006.

But he is familiar with the offense and no doubt Kyle Shanahan is eager to show that his offense if run properly can produce more than 16 points a game.

Grossman is not the solution for the Redskins long-term, I think everyone knows that.

But if he goes in and plays well against Dallas and the Redskins do score 24-27 points win or lose, then an argument can be made that those passes in the dirt and misfires we have seen from #5 are just as much on him than on receivers running the wrong routes or not coming back to the ball, etc.

I am less upset at this move now at 5-8 than I would have been at 4-3. McNabb was struggling at times in the first part of the season but the team was still winning games against some quality opponents.

Now the competitive portion of the schedule is over and it's evaluation time.

If the Redskins DO plan on drafting a quarterback #1 next season, then perhaps they are auditioning Grossman to serve as the primary backup to show the rookie the ropes in this offense.

But that's IF he performs. If he goes out there and loses all credibility by throwing 3-4 interceptions than I think all of the Redskins qbs will be replaced for 2011.

http://twitter.com/kjohnsoncsn

Just learned that Rex Grossman is starting over McNabb Sun in Dallas; I'm told Redskins Lockeroom is divided and guys are extremely upset

Bad timing for such a move. We didn't need another distraction, especially before Dallas.

Now can plan to take the boys out Christmas shopping on Sunday. Is it NASCAR season yet?

But how many guys in the locker room will be back in 2011? :)

At this point I don't think Shanahan cares about feelings.

The truth is the trade was a dud for a number of reasons.

One, McNabb is an old 34 and his body is breaking down due to cumulative injuries. His shelf life is limited.

Two, the OL is not strong enough to support the kind of downfield attack Kyle wants to run. He and Mike thought McNabb had greater mobility than he now does and thought that would compensate to a degree in getting away from the rush.

Three, anytime you are taking on a veteran player who has reached a certain stature like McNabb you better be prepared to make things comfortable for him, ie run a familiar offensive scheme to allow him to do what he has done successfully to date. Trying to teach a 34 year old quarterback a new system with new footwork is a waste of time.

With 174 yards rushing in the first half and being in the red zone for much of that time McNabb and Kyle Shanahan needed to produce more than 10 points.

I think the reason Shanahan doesn't call red zone plays into the end zone is he doesn't trust McNabb to be on target.

It's not a good situation for the team or the player.

I do think McNabb has some life left but not on a team that is trying to rebuild.

He needs to go to a club like the Vikings or San Francisco where he is going to be playing with better runners and receivers.

But in the end Mike Shanahan made the trade and so he is responsible for the mess we now have.

We could have passed it up and kept the #2 and #3 picks, gone with a guy like Grossman for nominal dollars for Year 1, and then drafted a franchise passer in 2011 with a very high pick.

But as has been the case at Redskins Park for the last 17 years the club wants to improve NOW and doesn't want to wait a year or two for youngsters to develop.

I do not think this move is bad timing at all. If we were in playoff contention, it would be a bad move. However, we are out! Lets see what we have in our other QBs. I want to beat Dallas, always do, but I also want this team prepared for the future.

We have seen Montgomery take control of the guard position, Terrence Austin has been brought up, Galloway cut. We are no longer the oldest team in the league. That goes to the Ravens. We were the oldest team in the offseason.

As for 'Is Vinny still running the show.' If Vinny was still running the show, McNabb would play no matter how horrible he is. The superstars were always allowed to play even when they were sub-par. We have seen more determination from our backups over the last several years than our high paid starters.

I think Shannahan has finally realized that we do not have the talent to run his system. He thought he could come in here patch a couple of holes and everything would be o.k. He was wrong and all but admitted it in the press conference earlier.

I like that Shannahan is taking control and benching players based on their performance and not their paycheck.

Also, I agree with just about everything Elephant said, except Grossman in his limited appearance last year was only 3/9 and an interception. Not great. 5.6 QB rating

What bothers me the most is this team is not showing any improvement. We played better in the beginning. I can accept not being in the playoffs if we were competitive and showed signs of improvement.

If we release McNabb, which his trade value is diminished, then we lost two draft picks. Those draft pics could be helping this team in other areas right now.

I am just disappointed in how disorganized this team looks, especially with two highly organized men running the show.

Agreed. But the truth is the truth.

Shanahan and Allen delayed the rebuild for an ugly Year 1 in which few of the gambles that were taken paid off.

We come out of these 16 games with a few new faces to look forward to in the future but no one outside of #1 pick Trent Williams for which there is great hope that we have secured a future pro bowler in terms of ability.

Torain and Armstrong are nice, but complementary players on a good team. They are not the #1 and #1 on your offense.

Does McNabb have any real trade value anymore?

well if Shanny is going to be admitting his screwups, can we get a doover on the 3-4 too? lol Id rather not tank a game against Dalass, ffs any game other than this and I would be applauding but not against the damn pies, I couldnt take them pulling an Eagles on us with Kitna starting.

I do not think this move is bad timing at all. If we were in playoff contention, it would be a bad move. However, we are out! Lets see what we have in our other QBs. I want to beat Dallas, always do, but I also want this team prepared for the future.

We have seen Montgomery take control of the guard position, Terrence Austin has been brought up, Galloway cut. We are no longer the oldest team in the league. That goes to the Ravens. We were the oldest team in the offseason.

As for 'Is Vinny still running the show.' If Vinny was still running the show, McNabb would play no matter how horrible he is. The superstars were always allowed to play even when they were sub-par. We have seen more determination from our backups over the last several years than our high paid starters.

I think Shannahan has finally realized that we do not have the talent to run his system. He thought he could come in here patch a couple of holes and everything would be o.k. He was wrong and all but admitted it in the press conference earlier.

I like that Shannahan is taking control and benching players based on their performance and not their paycheck.

Also, I agree with just about everything Elephant said, except Grossman in his limited appearance last year was only 3/9 and an interception. Not great. 5.6 QB rating

There is no good timing for this. This is at best an insane experiment that has about a 1% chance of succeeding. There is no way Rex effing Grossman is a better option at QB than McNabb. Not even now when McNabb is old and struggling and on a ****ty team. Lest I remind you all that during Grossman's career season, a season in which he had a superbowl team around him, he had a completion percentage of 54.6, threw 20 interceptions and had a passer rating of 73.9. Which, for the record, is worse than what we're getting with McNabb now, during arguably his worst season as a pro.

I HOPE our coaches aren't seriously thinking Grossman can in any way possibly be an upgrade over McNabb. It's not like he's a second year guy who just hasn't realized his potential. He's freaking 30 years old.

Honestly I can't imagine what's going through our coaches' heads right now. This move doesn't make any sense any way you look at it. McNabb won't play here now. His trade value goes down now. We have once again, in the great tradition of the Dan Snyder Era, given away high draft picks for one season of nothing.

I seriously hope nobody on this board ever preaches patience again, because our front office clearly has none. I am absolutely flabbergasted at this move.

Lets be honest, putting beck as #2 and starting Rexy isnt really evaluating anything, when rexy tanks as we know he will, we will go to Beck who is almost 30 as well and hes not anything special either.

Im no Mcrapp fan but at least he gives us a punchers chance, Rex at his best is a decent backup, BUT if he has a Todd Collins moment Kyle looks like a genius and given our performance thus far he needs something to go his way lol.

Preach it, Henry!

I wonder what McNabb's trade value will be after all this? Could we still get a 4th? 5th?

Ridiculous.

Why would Kyle look like a genius?

If Rex lights up the scoreboard should he be the starter next year? Is that what we're hoping for? Grossman as our guy based on three meaningless games?

If we don't draft a Qb in the coming draft, and not just any Qb, i will NEVER understand this move.:dizzy2:

So...if being mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs isn't the time to evaluate your roster(in a real game) and form a draft strategy, just when is the right time??

Why would Kyle look like a genius?

If Rex lights up the scoreboard should he be the starter next year? Is that what we're hoping for? Grossman as our guy based on three meaningless games?

Well to anyone capable of coherent thought, he won't , but the Front office has managed to con a majority of the fans with some very astute PR on several things, why would this be any different? I actually saw on a blog today that someone still thinks the jury is out on the 3-4 BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE THE PLAYERS TO RUN IT! thats the ultimate in stupid logic, if we didnt have the players to run it, WE SHOULDNT BE RUNNING IT. and that frankly is an indictment on the coaching. Just as wasting draft picks so Shanny could hand pick HIS qb and now we are watching his kid start HIS own pick alienating our best player etc etc etc..

its been a really bad year to be a skins fan, Shannys overconfident press conference got a lot of us onside, saying we were a talented team and then making "win now" moves set expectations, then the confusing rationale behind moving to the 3-4, the absolutely horrible personelle management that aside from a couple hits were almost all misses, just lead most of us to being even more cynical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.