• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rex to Start?

Ax, what do all of these players have in common:

Sean Taylor
Carlos
Orakpo
Trent Williams
They were drafted at different slot positions?

Now compare those to our other draft picks over the last five years.

Notice anything?
Yeah, it confirms that no particular draft position is definitively better than another.

The only time I'd seriously consider "rooting" for the Redskins to lose would be in this one specific scenario:

A loss insures the number one overall pick in the draft in a year there is a consensus blue-chip QB available.

And by that I don't mean a one-year wonder like Cam Newton, I mean a guy with at least 3 years of big-time productivity against big-time competition.

A guy that I, in all my scouting wisdom, have determined is The Man.

But even then doubt I'd admit it publicly sober.
Our "rooting" for a win, or a loss, does not affect the outcome of any game. We must accept either scenario.

So, in the end, all that rooting against one's team does, is taint one's fanaticism.

Sean Taylor
Carlos
Orakpo
Trent Williams

Notice anything?

What, they are all top 13 picks? What is your point? That we need to be in the top 13 to have an amazing draft pick? Because we can beat Dallas and still accomplish that, I'm pretty sure.

Also, Carlos Rogers was 6 drafts ago, FYI & Sean Taylor was drafted 7 years ago (oh how time flies). You also forgot Landry, the number 6 overall in 2007.

For those of you who care about draft order seemingly more than a win against Dallas - :behead2: - Would you guys be willing to trade down from that position?

My wish is that we do whatever we can to trade down to the 2nd round or later 1st with whatever would be adequate compensation for our likely top 10 pick. We need more picks for O-line. A trade down to acquire a C and G would be my ideal scenario for our early 1st round pick. Quality can be had in the latter first and 2nd round at those positions. If we have a top 10 pick, we will likely see someone like Julio Jones as our pick since there really are no guards or centers worthy of such a high pick. Last year the top center was taken by the Steelers and the top Guard by the 49ers, both in the latter 1st round. Only problem is having a trade down partner, but it should be easier to find one at the 10 position since the price tag would be reasonable.

For me, it comes down to this. I ****ing hate Dallas. I hate that city, hate their team, their owner, their players, the colors of the uniforms, I hate Dallas!

Having said that, i don't expect us to win. They are playing better and are slightly more talented than we are right now. But by God, if the players and coaches don't play hard and do everything they can to win that game... it ain't gonna be pretty. Damn the draft position, this is by far the most meaningful game of the season at this point. We're out of the playoffs, so this is our playoff game.

It's Dallas week, bitches!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

ok Goaldie....but I do have to admit...one of the best steaks I ever ate was ordered in Dallas.

For those of you who care about draft order seemingly more than a win against Dallas - :behead2: - Would you guys be willing to trade down from that position?

My wish is that we do whatever we can to trade down to the 2nd round or later 1st with whatever would be adequate compensation for our likely top 10 pick. We need more picks for O-line. A trade down to acquire a C and G would be my ideal scenario for our early 1st round pick. Quality can be had in the latter first and 2nd round at those positions. If we have a top 10 pick, we will likely see someone like Julio Jones as our pick since there really are no guards or centers worthy of such a high pick. Last year the top center was taken by the Steelers and the top Guard by the 49ers, both in the latter 1st round. Only problem is having a trade down partner, but it should be easier to find one at the 10 position since the price tag would be reasonable.

what if the plan is to go D-line in the first round? higher is better. I know where you're coming from cuz I was thinking center, guard the other day as well.

ok Goaldie....but I do have to admit...one of the best steaks I ever ate was ordered in Dallas.

That's cause you've never had one of my steaks.

Agreed. A pick in the range of 6-14 is eminently more trade-able than one in the top five. We should be able to move back and get some excellent value in that range, while filling holes.

what if the plan is to go D-line in the first round? higher is better. I know where you're coming from cuz I was thinking center, guard the other day as well.

Haloti Ngata, one of the best D-Lineman in the NFL, was taken 14th overall.

The leading sack-man this season was an undrafted free agent (originally signed by the GMen - do those guys know pass-rushers or what? Shesus). Yes, he's an OLB, but that's basically a DE in the 3-4 system.

The rest of the top sack artists DL this season:
John Abraham - 10th overall (after LaVar, lol)
Jason Babin - 27th overall
Osi Umenyiora - 56th overall
Jared Allen - 126th overall
Chris Clemons - UDFA (hmmm...seems familiar....:doh:)
Trent Cole - 146th overall
Charles Johnson - 83rd overall
Robert Mathis - 138th overall
Justin Tuck - 74th overall

The point is DL is actually one of those positions where high draft position is less important than say, QB.

Sean Taylor
Carlos
Orakpo
Trent Williams

Notice anything?

Yeah. That I hate the Dallas Cowboys with the intensity of a thousand burning suns.

**** the Cowboys.

I hate dallass with the hatred normally reserved for pedophiles and people who leave their cell phone on in the theatre.

I cant really explain why but seeing people wearing Dallass cowpie gear makes me want to go on a random punching spree, but maybe its not so random because its really only on people wearing silver and blue or who have that gay star on them somewhere.

I do not like the dallass cowpie cheerleaders, I would have sex with them but I would be selfish and purposefully not wait for them to orgasm.

I do not like their stupid city, their stupid accents or their idiotic propensity to say Yall.

In short, no I would not ever cheer for the cowpies, even if by winning they would somehow guarentee us the playoffs and an early first round pick.

p.s. Unless Mcrapp is hurt, he gives us the best chance to win this game. I somehow doubt we will be as good against them on defence this time.

The only time I'd seriously consider "rooting" for the Redskins to lose would be in this one specific scenario:

:claps:

**** the Cowboys.

Yes, I would trade down. And hope one of those QBs was still on the board at the 6 spot.

I hate dallass with the hatred normally reserved for pedophiles and people who leave their cell phone on in the theatre.

I do not like the dallass cowpie cheerleaders, I would have sex with them but I would be selfish and purposefully not wait for them to orgasm.

:claps: Hysterical. Funniest thing I have read all day. Thank you.

Now THIS has turned into a GREAT thread!

:claps:

A loss insures the number one overall pick in the draft in a year there is a consensus blue-chip QB available.

And by that I don't mean a one-year wonder like Cam Newton, I mean a guy with at least 3 years of big-time productivity against big-time competition.

A guy that I, in all my scouting wisdom, have determined is The Man.

You mean someone like Jeff George or Jamarcus Russell?

I think they're both still available.

How about David Carr or Tim Couch?

I was going to say Ryan Leaf, but he was picked 2nd.

Yeah, I know, being a smartass again. But I think my point is that even with the first pick, someone that is a consensus blue-chip pick at QB, is not a guarantee.

I think I'll stick with rooting for a Redskins victory.

Can we change the name of this thread? It should be titled:

I HATE THE COWBOYS!

Haloti Ngata, one of the best D-Lineman in the NFL, was taken 14th overall.

The leading sack-man this season was an undrafted free agent (originally signed by the GMen - do those guys know pass-rushers or what? Shesus). Yes, he's an OLB, but that's basically a DE in the 3-4 system.

The rest of the top sack artists DL this season:
John Abraham - 10th overall (after LaVar, lol)
Jason Babin - 27th overall
Osi Umenyiora - 56th overall
Jared Allen - 126th overall
Chris Clemons - UDFA (hmmm...seems familiar....:doh:)
Trent Cole - 146th overall
Charles Johnson - 83rd overall
Robert Mathis - 138th overall
Justin Tuck - 74th overall

The point is DL is actually one of those positions where high draft position is less important than say, QB.

why I can point to lots of high QB busts as well....and great successes. I'm not going to go down the same road with you and your habit of cherry picking data then generalizing into a rule. it should be obvious: the higher the draft position the greater control a team has over who it can select. but I'll concede your point as it isn't key to me anyway. if the Skins have the ability to uncover late round defensive line gems...so much the better! the evidence suggests otherwise, but this is a time for hope and change.

the real opinion I was voicing was that the Skins priority ought to be to draft a d-linemen in the first round if for no other reasons than need and expectations of some top flight talent at that position. that's where I expected the contrarian arguments to come. let's assume that as a generalization your thought is true. let us also assume that the Skins can indeed locate these d-line gems in later rounds. I submit that the same can be said for guards, centers, running backs, TEs, WRs....less so QBs. where does that leave us on the first round priority for CY12 draft? what are you advocating for?

Last edited by a moderator:
why I can point to lots of high QB busts as well....and great successes.

But that's not what I did...you misread my post. Try again.

...I'm not going to go down the same road with you and your habit of cherry picking data then generalizing into a rule. it should be obvious: the higher the draft position the greater control a team has over who it can select.

But that was not your statement - you said "higher is better" if we were drafting DL. That's what you said, no matter how much you want to change it now. And that's what I was responding to. I disagreed, and pulled sack stats for this year (in order, mind you, I didn't cherry pick anything) for DLinemen, and included Ngata b/c he's a beast. What do you disagree with? Sacks as a measure of a DLineman's effectiveness?

but I'll concede your point as it isn't key to me anyway. if the Skins have the ability to uncover late round defensive line gems...so much the better! the evidence suggests otherwise, but this is a time for hope and change.

the real opinion I was voicing was that the Skins priority ought to be to draft a d-linemen in the first round if for no other reasons than need and expectations of some top flight talent at that position. that's where I expected the contrarian arguments to come. let's assume that as a generalization your thought is true. let us also assume that the Skins can indeed locate these d-line gems in later rounds. I submit that the same can be said for guards, centers, running backs, TEs, WRs....less so QBs. where does that leave us on the first round priority for CY12 draft? what are you advocating for?

Oh look, fansince's argument is twisting in the wind, to suit how he feels that particular instant - I will respond to your completely new argument. I would agree that OLinemen (maybe not centers as much), TEs, WRs & RBs can all be found in the later rounds as well, but not so much for QBs. But we were talking about DL - which can definitely be found in later rounds.

DL can definately be found in the later rounds, but the best ones are usually found early on. even on your list, the top sack guys mostly came in the top 100 picks of the draft with a few notable exceptions. when you get a guy later on its usually because he has a perceived flaw and the later you take a guy the less likely he is to be a contributor, we cant afford to take flyers on guys right now, too many holes to fill. now nosetackle you will never find a good one late in the draft again, unless he falls due to other concerns, too many teams are looking for them now.

I see your point that there is talent to be had later on, IF YOU HAVE A SOLID SCOUTING DEPARTMENT THAT YOU TRUST. and I also see FS point that the draft is a crapshoot that gets lower and lower odds as you go deeper in the draft and that we havent shown much talent for late rounders.

I am curious tho, what do you think we should do in the draft? maybe make a thread, Ive made too many recently but this would be a good thread idea, me personally I think we need to take BPA out of any of our need spots, so c, og,, NT, DE, ILB, WR, in that order. because WR takes 2-3 seasons to improve id get one in free agency and id only go QB if a bluechipper is available.

I think your all caps statement is the key there, Ryman. Do we have a scouting dept we can trust? The problem is that our draft picks, outside of the first couple of rounds, have not been very good lately, but it is hard to know if that is the scouting dept or the drafters. I wasn't crazy about our draft last off season, when Shanny and Allen were drafting, so i would hope that the problem is within the scouting dept and not the drafters, but i guess only time will tell.

As for BPA, personally, i think we have too many holes to fill to go that route right now. I suppose I would consider BPA among our needs (ie, drafting the BPA among C, G, DT, DE, LB, etc). Come to think of it, we have so many holes, BPA just might work out fine.*

*excluding TE. Someone tell em we're good there.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.