• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Report on Irsay and RGIII

Guess you could make the case Luck was "mediocre or poor" against Oregon....his whole team was. I didn't see any of it live, so all I have to go on is the numbers and reporting. Anyone see the whole thing?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313160024

Luck: 27-41 (65.8%), 256 yds (6.2), 3 TD, 2 INT, QB Rating 132.7 (NCAA), 87.0 (NFL)
I watched it and it was bad. This is one of those examples of stats telling a blatant lie. This was a horrible game for Luck, and most of these stats were inflated on gimmes when there was nothing left to play for, including one pass that was something like a 55-58 yarder when it didn't matter. Take that one play out, and he wouldn't have had 200 yards in that game. He just looked flat from whistle to whistle.

Like Mike, I watched a few of the games, and I never watched one where I was impressed. Every time I watched Luck play, the only thought I could muster was, "all that hype for this?"

The problem with just going by box scores, is because they don't tell the story of the game. If a team is up huge in the 4th quarter and the other team has given up, it's easy to inflate your stats, but those extra stats don't mean you had a phenomenal game. Just like scoring TDs and gaining 100 yards in garbage time means nothing.

I think this is the point that's being missed when many folks around the league's fanbases mention that he isn't working out for anyone. That might be his camp's policy officially, but if he REALLY wanted to workout for someone he would.
Well, and we're getting deep into the mind games at this point, there is another angle...

what if they feel like they put on a lights out performance at the combine, and a lights out performance at his pro day, and that there just isn't anything positive to gain from any more work outs?

they might have gone into the offseason saying this:
you won the Heisman. you had an amazing season, and you're going into the draft.
work your ass off for the combine, work your ass off for your pro day, and unless you do terrible at one of them don't do any more work outs.

for RG3 he couldn't be in a better situation than he is right now - unless luck screwed something up which is out of his control. there's no reason to risk lowering his stock at this point.

Yea I'm sure that's a large part of it but it still stands even in that scenario that if he really wanted to work out for the Colts he would. He knows that even given the statement that he's not working out for any other teams this is going to be seen as a bit of a slap in the face to the Colts, his agent sure as heck does. I also think that statement that he's not working out for anyone is a bit hollow...he's absolutely going to go top 2 so why would he work out for other teams and risk injury or a devaluation of his stock? None of those teams stand a chance of drafting him.

My understanding is that Griffin is not doing any private workouts at all, for anyone.

I think Tandler has this right. I don't think this is a reason to get too excited yet.

I've thought about this a little longer, and I'm back to my original statement. This is an affront to the Colts organization, and a statement that he does not want to play there, period!

Think about it this way - if RG3 wanted to be the 1st overall QB selected, is the path to that outcome DENYING the Colts a private workout? Yeah, he's not going to do a private workout for any team - but no team is going to have a chance at him outside of the Colts & Redskins, so what's the point? He KNOWS the Redskins are in love with him, so by denying the Colts, he's denying the ONE team that has a reason to watch him work out again.

Basically, its a pimp slap to Irsay's face. :)

I don't know, Lanky. There is the matter of his word and that is big to me. He apparently told all 32 teams before his Pro Day that he would only work out that once, that there would be no private workouts. As I understand it, that was his way of making sure the Baylor Pro Day was as well attended as possible so as to highlight his teammates to all teams as well as possible To go back on that now would be to show that perhaps his word isn't good and he will change it when it benefits him to do so.

I am one of those old school "let your yes be yes and your no be no" kind of guys though so I might be letting my own way of doing things color my perception of this situation.

I don't know, Lanky. There is the matter of his word and that is big to me. He apparently told all 32 teams before his Pro Day that he would only work out that once, that there would be no private workouts. As I understand it, that was his way of making sure the Baylor Pro Day was as well attended as possible so as to highlight his teammates to all teams as well as possible To go back on that now would be to show that perhaps his word isn't good and he will change it when it benefits him to do so.

I am one of those old school "let your yes be yes and your no be no" kind of guys though so I might be letting my own way of doing things color my perception of this situation.

I see what you are saying, but I also think RGIII is using his "word" as a way to not just publicly bitch slap the Colts. But in reality, with only two teams as viable landing points (unless someone makes an offer the Colts can't refuse), I don't think anybody would have faulted him for working out one more time.

Interesting take from NFL.com writer Ian Rapoport - He apparently agrees with many posters in this thread.

"True, the word is out, via colleague Albert Breer, that Dogra's coveted client will be turning down all private workouts, including one from the Redskins. But no workout was more important than the Colts'. The 'Skins, after all, didn't trade their future to select Alabama running back Trent Richardson or anyone else."

This, right here, is why it was such an important refusal. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.