• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign Safety Tanard Jackson

Yeah - he really pisses me off. Too dumb to live. Enjoy the year's worth of salary you probably have left before starting your new career at the car wash genius.

I don't know what his contract was, or what kind of clauses were in it, but I have to assume that there was an out for this in there.

In general, I absolutely agree with your other posts. I value having intelligent football players; I think raw tallent is easily ruined by dump on/off the field decision making.

I still have trouble finding fault in taking a flyer on a guy like this when the team is in the situation it's in regarding the safety position. Provided we didn't lose our ass salary wise and there wasn't a clear, better option available that we missed out on.

I can't argue against him taking up a roster spot though.

I don't know what his contract was, or what kind of clauses were in it, but I have to assume that there was an out for this in there.

In general, I absolutely agree with your other posts. I value having intelligent football players; I think raw tallent is easily ruined by dump on/off the field decision making.

I still have trouble finding fault in taking a flyer on a guy like this when the team is in the situation it's in regarding the safety position. Provided we didn't lose our ass salary wise and there wasn't a clear, better option available that we missed out on.

I can't argue against him taking up a roster spot though.

Well - the bottom line is, if there's a very high probability that this was going to happen and that we should have seen it coming (and we should have), then ultimately that means we need another option at safety, and it doesn't really matter who is available - we have to find someone. And every minute of practice and coaching time we spent with Jackson was an utter waste, and time that we could've been working with someone else.

Yeah, put that way I agree. Someone else should have had the chance to earn the spot and learn from the coaching staff and put themselves on tape. This guy clearly didn't deserve it. I've come around to being in full agreement with you on it.

I've changed my tune on Shanahan a lot since he got here; I was, for many reasons, not in favor of him when we first got him. But one thing I still have a problem with is his need to turn around troubled athletes.

And every minute of practice and coaching time we spent with Jackson was an utter waste, and time that we could've been working with someone else.

In a very small way, maybe we did.
Didn't Bernstine surprisingly make the team ? And isn't he chalked in as a safety ?
Not as a starting safety obviusly, but maybe groomed to be.

The truth is the Redskins were going to sign other players at both CB and S.

But the cap penalty put them in the position of looking for bridge players (think Aaron Ross who the Redskins were keen to sign at CB signed in JAX, which is a total mess because they were going to win? No, it was strictly a money deal).

Madieu Williams is a former #2 pick and 6 year starter who was a backup on a top rated 49ers team last year. At 30 he wanted a chance to start and took this deal with Washington over other teams in order to get that chance specifically because of the lack of returning talent.

Meriweather was a two time pro bowler who was one of the few veterans available at SS that were under 30 and had some upside at decent cost.

Jackson was added later on after Williams and Meriweather were signed for depth. He played better than expected in camp and the preseason, so that increased his visibility as it appeared he could not only make the final roster but be a real contributor.

Recall also that the team signed Cedric Griffin with the thought that based on his instincts and tackling ability that he could transition to safety if necessary.

Overall, the Redskins did what they could to provide some competition at safety and come up with combinations they thought could be competitive for 2012.

With the move for Griffin and the signing of Garcon as the major free agent move in a year limited by the cap penalty, that meant making do at spots like this.

Complain all you want but the simple truth is that if the Redskins had stood pat and gone with Doughty and Gomes in 2012, admitting they didn't have enough money or picks to get better talent until 2013, many of you would have condemned the team for running in place and not addressing the exposed weak areas on the roster.

Fans are very fickle. When a team has FOUR OR FIVE major areas of need and the team addresses TWO OR THREE in the offseason, they always hone back in on the one or two spots that the team didn't address.

What many Redskins fans are guilty of is Snyder disease.

I want what I want when I want it :)

They don't want to wait. Draft Griffin and then let's fill EVERY possible hole on a 5-11 roster in ONE offseason and return to prominence.

Sorry, it isn't happening.

I have the Redskins down for a 7-9 record in 2012, a 2 game improvement over 2011 with expected better performances on the offensive side of the ball.

But make no mistake, while addressing QB and WR and adding OL depth with Gettis and LeRibeus the team still needs to acquire a #1 corner and an impact FS on defense and solidify the RT position to be competitive with the best clubs.

That is going to have to wait until 2013.

Drafting Griffin for the Redskins is like the Nationals drafting Strasburg.

Did they win right away? No.

Did they still have trades and draft picks and free agent signings to make to make the roster top notch? Of course.

Same deal here.

Relax and stop worrying about making reservations for the Super Bowl this coming January/February.

I don't disagree with most of that BT, but it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the specific issue - that we wasted time and energy on Jackson when every bit of evidence out there made this all but inevitable. You're correct that the Redskins options were limited (mostly through no fault of their own). I also agree that we can't rebuild at every position in a year, or even two. But again, that doesn't have a whole lot to do with the debate over how smart it was to bring in a guy like Tanard and think it was going to work out.

All that being said, while unfortunate, I can't believe the 'Tanard Jackson Situation' was ever going to be a major factor in the Redskins long-term success.

Again, I don't think the team signed Jackson with the thought he was going to be a starter but a backup and bridge to 2012. The idea I think was for Williams and Meriweather to be the starters and for Jackson to compete with the others for a third spot where he could be a rover in case of injuries between FS and SS.

Given the unguaranteed veteran minimum contract I don't see the team having compromised anything of consequence on the Jackson experiment, it's not as if the club gave up the chance to sign a more talented player who didn't have any baggage at vet minimum cost :)

I think this is more of an issue for the fans as they were surprised by the suspension.

I think Allen and Shanahan signed Jackson with the knowledge that there was probably a 50/50 chance the move would not work out.

I see your point. Basically you're arguing that the only reason the loss of Jackson is even a blip on our radar is that he far exceeded anyone's expectations to begin with. It'll be hard to assess whether we'd currently be in a better place at safety had we brought in someone other than Jackson.

I keep scratching my head in trying to figure out WHO the Redskins could have brought in at that point (late in FA) when the Bucs released Jackson? Most of the free agents had already been signed (including Williams and Meriweather here) and a lot of the players available early in the offseason were not affordable.

Well, I see it as on obvious 75% chance, or better, of failure. Bringing in a repeat drug offender, who, when he was a 50/50 shot elsewhere, blew it.

As it is, they could have grabbed a bartender somewhere, and the time and money wasted on him would be no greater that it was on Jackson.

Dumb move by Shanny. His judge of character is questionable.

I keep scratching my head in trying to figure out WHO the Redskins could have brought in at that point (late in FA) when the Bucs released Jackson? Most of the free agents had already been signed (including Williams and Meriweather here) and a lot of the players available early in the offseason were not affordable.

Even in the absence of better guys to bring in, we wasted coaching and field time on the guy that could've been committed to other players.

It's not debatable :)

Well, another Raheem Morris "guy" has been thrown into the mix. Kevin Sheehan suggested this morning that Kellen Winslow Jr "could" get a look from Shanahan because his relationship with Raheem Morris. That would piss me off something fierce!

Well, another Raheem Morris "guy" has been thrown into the mix. Kevin Sheehan suggested this morning that Kellen Winslow Jr "could" get a look from Shanahan because his relationship with Raheem Morris. That would piss me off something fierce!

I would break things.

Letting go of one of the best-character guys we've had in decades at TE, only to replace him with a head-case, proving we've learned nothing from the repeated failures of those types of players ?

I truly will break something.

Who is Kevin Sheehan? Is he simply a pot-stirrer, or has he been right before? Comments like that are usually just made to get ratings.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
God I hope that's all it is. Winslow is a bitch, and his performance is not consistent at all. Plus, he has major injury concerns. Add it all up and we would have been MUCH better off with Cooley, IMO.

Fear, I may drive some things to you to throw if this happens.

Who is Kevin Sheehan? Is he simply a pot-stirrer, our has he been right before? Comments like that are usually just made to get ratings.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

ESPN 980 and yes, he's just stirring the pot to create some hits on his twitter account. A couple of people have already jumped on the story and he is backing it down.

It's a slow Sunday so I thought I'd stir things up a little too. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.