• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Shopping for D-Line Help?

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Chris Russell has been gushing over Worthington - I think if they really want a youth movement, they should give this guy a shot. Either him or Scott.

hey, bringing back Daniels might be an alright move temporarily but not for long term. How old is he again? I dont really remember him producing too much last year.

Yeah, I wouldn't see him brought in for any longer than a season or maybe until we could sign someone off waivers. JJ, would be back next year. The thing is, he's a character guy who could understand the business side of it enough that he might be willing and understanding enough to sign under those circumstances.

Lanky, I have seen Scott more, especially in the second half of the Colts game. Not saying Worthington isn't performing well either, just that I noticed Scott more. I was certain he was gonna be on the roster anyway. Maybe Worthington can step up, but will it be enough? How deep do we go at D-line, especially since it seems like they will be rotating a lot?

No to Daniels. We should look for a player that has experience as a DE in the 3-4.

Either that or go with a younger guy we already have in camp. But if we were really confident with the current group, a potential move for DL would not be an issue.

come on Mike, Daniels is 38 years old. Surely there is one player out there with some NFL experience who could be used in a BACKUP or rotation role here in Washington for the 2011 season.

when the Giants lost both of their corners, they brought in veterans Brian Williams and Lito Sheppard.

neither player is what he was a few years ago but these guys are 31-32, not 40.

And in case you noticed, Daniels didn't play that well last year.

If we can't find a decent stopgap to provide more depth at DE, we might consider moving Cofield to DE and rotating the two young guys at the nose. Certainly not an ideal answer but it would allow the young guys to get some experience. Who knows, Bryant and/or Neild might surprise us.

what we DON'T want to do is shift Cofield and Bowen around who have shown themselves to be successful so far in their roles here.

you don't change everything around for the loss of one player. you make a replacement at that one spot and leave the others in position.

too many changes will only result in a greater loss of effectiveness and dislocation.

Here's a list of unsigned FAs that I've found...not sure how up-to-date the list was, but here they are. Notice who's the oldest.

Tully Banta-Cain, DE/OLB, Age: 31
Demetric Evans, DE, 49ers. Age: 32
Copeland Bryan, DE, Lions. Age: 28
Tim Bulman, DE, Texans. Age: 28
Victor Abiamiri, DE, Eagles. Age: 25
Stylez G. White, DE, Buccaneers. Age: 32
Phillip Daniels, DE/DT, Redskins. Age: 38

if we need DTs here's some possibilities...

Tank Johnson, DT, Bengals. Age: 29
Ma'ake Kemoeatu, NT, Redskins. Age: 32
Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Vikings. Age: 31
Travis Johnson, DE/DT, Chargers. Age: 29

what we DON'T want to do is shift Cofield and Bowen around who have shown themselves to be successful so far in their roles here.

you don't change everything around for the loss of one player. you make a replacement at that one spot and leave the others in position.

too many changes will only result in a greater loss of effectiveness and dislocation.

I agree completely, and while there may be few options right this minute for a younger replacement then Daniels, roster cut down is right around the corner, and there may be better options.

Here's a list of unsigned FAs that I've found...not sure how up-to-date the list was, but here they are. Notice who's the oldest.

Tully Banta-Cain, DE/OLB, Age: 31
Demetric Evans, DE, 49ers. Age: 32
Copeland Bryan, DE, Lions. Age: 28
Tim Bulman, DE, Texans. Age: 28
Victor Abiamiri, DE, Eagles. Age: 25
Stylez G. White, DE, Buccaneers. Age: 32
Phillip Daniels, DE/DT, Redskins. Age: 38

if we need DTs here's some possibilities...

Tank Johnson, DT, Bengals. Age: 29
Ma'ake Kemoeatu, NT, Redskins. Age: 32
Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Vikings. Age: 31
Travis Johnson, DE/DT, Chargers. Age: 29

I"d love to have Demetric Evans back as pure depth and rotation.
I was sad to see him leave the first time.
Not sure why someone of his talent is still available, tho.

Actually I think they are going to need some Safetys more than any DL help. Just sign Daniels or bring Kemo back if he's got anything left.

The last time I checked Kemo didn't play DE. That was where Jenkins was going to see the majority of his snaps.

The idea of bringing back Daniels, who at 38, has been injured and gradually declining from full-time to part-time status is not one that is enticing to me.

I think the team needs to move on. Try and find someone younger who has some 3-4 experience.

Worthington seems to have the size and some experience working in 3-4 systems, but we don't know how the coaches have graded him out since he was acquired.

He and Thaddeus Gibson seem to have some physical ability and were former Steelers, which the Redskins seem to be collecting.

I think Worthington has played pretty well so far - and I'd love to see him get a chance. I'm sure once the first round of cuts happens, the Skins will scoop up a DE from somewhere.

I'd stay young. I'm sure someone will be jettisoning a youngun. I don't think we were expecting a starter there, it was just good luck...then bad luck...

In a year when the club is rebuilding the last thing I want to see is the team sign a 33 year old one-legged vet for the DL.

If not Worthington, I hope we find a 23 or 24 year old player with some upside in the 3-4. Even if it is just as a solid backup.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Good. Been there, done that with Daniels and Kemoeatu. No need to rewind that movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.