• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Relieve Mike Shanahan of Duties

while others, including defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and defensive backs coach Raheem Morris, will have their fate determined by the next head coach.[/B]

If after all this we still keep Haslett....

If after all this we still keep Haslett....

Lol...makes sense in Snyder's world. Get rid of the coaches with the most success and keep the ones with the least.

Last edited:
Let's be honest here.

The Redskins defense here since 2010 has been downright atrocious.

When you look back, Shanahan's defenses in Denver late in his stint there were awful.

He just would not give up control over personnel in an area where he didn't have a good feel for how to put together a productive unit.

There was no reason to pre-install a 3-4 defense before actually touching down in Washington and evaluating the players here.

Shanahan might have found out some tinkering with the 4-3 could have lead to better results and less overall resources being spent to overhaul the unit completely.

That would have lead to the offense improving more rapidly.

How much talent did Shanahan give Haslett to work with?

Did Shanahan meddle in the defensive game-plan and call for the all out blitzes that the Cowboys and Dez Bryant beat?

My gut feeling is that Shanahan and not Snyder was the true meddler here over the past 3-4 years.

First he is an expert on offense.

Then he has ideas about the 3-4 defense and how to implement it.

Then he is an expert on special teams and brings in a coach with no coordinator experience to replace a guy with 10 years of NFL coordinator experience. The new coordinator proceeds to deconstruct what are decent but not great special teams and turn them into a complete crash and burn.

I am surprised Shanahan didn't insist on judging the cheerleaders to appear in the yearly calendar spreads.

What a control freak.

Well BD, when your responsible and it's going to be your head on the chopping block I understand it. Not saying it's right. Also, Gibbs had some influence on Williams when he was here when we started dropping safeties 30 yards deep.

my only point is that if Haslett had better talent to work with and was given a freer hand to run things on his side of the ball, we would have a better appreciation of what he could and could not do.

perhaps a new coach trusts him and allows Morocco and Scott Campbell to get him better talent :)

What's earned him that kind of benefit of the doubt though Bulldog? We have been brutal in identifying the flaws in other coaches - why does he deserve all those excuses? Do we really believe all of our defensive failings are on Shanahan? That sounds like a stretch to me. Haslett is a grown man. If he felt he couldn't be successful with all of Shanahan's 'meddling' he could have resigned at any time or gone up the chain. Our defense has been worse than our offense and more consistently so. I don't see why he should be retained (being a company man isn't reason enough).

The Redskins secondary is the worst in the NFC. Safeties that are either late round rookies like Rambo or veterans like Doughty and Meriweather that are journeyman level. After Hall, the corners here are awful. Josh Wilson is done IMO. EJ Biggers couldn't cover a carpet :laugh:

That means having to be a bit cautious on what you call at the line of scrimmage because guys can't man cover down the field.

In the front seven, Haslett was without both Jarvis Jenkins and Rob Jackson due to suspensions. Bowen was injured in Game 2 and ended up on IR.

Who was going to win with this unit?

Really, what DC in the NFL would have molded this unit into a productive group in 2013?

Shanahan with better control over the cap dollars could have saved $6.5M on Josh Morgan and Fred Davis and perhaps found a starting corner or a DL to help out when Adam Carriker went on IR and Jenkins was suspended.

You could make the same case on offense or special teams...marginal talent beyond a couple stars... Just sayin'

yep, goes back to Shanahan the GM not providing the staff with enough talent to win consistently.

Highlighted the important parts below. Sounds like we will have two football GMs. I like the structure and think this may work. After seeing an earlier tweet that said Shanahan never took the advice of Brown and Campbell, now we can see what they will do in their expanded roles.

Bruce Allen: Control over personnel will be mine | ProFootballTalk

Bruce Allen: Control over personnel will be mine

Posted by Josh Alper on December 30, 2013, 2:50 PM EST

The departure of Mike Shanahan has Redskins head coach won’t be accompanied by a further shakeup in the team’s front office.

That was the message from executive vice president and General Manager Bruce Allen at his Monday press conference. Allen said that he would continue to work with director of pro personnel Morocco Brown and director of player personnel Scott Campbell in the wake of Shanahan’s firing and denied that there were any structural problems with the way the organization does business.

One thing that will change in the future is who has control over personnel decisions. Shanahan had a major role in those calls during his tenure, but Allen said Monday that “the control will be mine” moving forward in addition to asserting his prominent role in selecting the next coach. That will make for a different way of doing business in Washington and, should the Redskins stick to that mode of operation, it could impact which candidates are interested in pursuing the head coaching position.

There wasn’t much detail about what the team will be looking for in their next coach as Allen stuck to vague descriptors like “inspire and lead” and “sense of urgency” to describe what he’s looking for during the interview process. Allen also confirmed that many assistant coaches were fired. According to multiple reports, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and special teams coach Keith Burns are out while others, including defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and defensive backs coach Raheem Morris, will have their fate determined by the next head coach.

Actually this-especially the bolded statements, makes sense to me.

Mike Shanahan had a history of listening to his player acquisition people and then completely ignoring their input when choosing players that dates back to his days in Denver. Thus how good or bad Morocco and Scott have performed becomes muddled and hard to assess due to Shanahan's involvement here which does not provide adequate reason for dismissal. Time will tell here.

Letting Kyle go was inevitable with Mike being fired and indications that Kyle's interests were leaning toward moving another direction anyway.

Burns? Well having a monumentally horrific ST performance during the season makes that one make sense. I'm just guessing here but it seems plausible at least.

The one people are questioning, of course, is Haslett.

The new HC will no doubt want to assess the situation vis-à-vis assistant coaches and make his own decisions and I think it's likely that is what Alen is doing; keeping Haz temporarily in order do follow the above mentioned normal process of HC evaluation and selection of his coaching staff, Kyle and probably Burns being special situations. This puts Haz's status, like the rest of the coaching assistants, to be determined by the new HC.

Frankly, I do not expect to see Haslett remain as the DC.

There wasn’t much detail about what the team will be looking for in their next coach as Allen stuck to vague descriptors like “inspire and lead” and “sense of urgency” to describe what he’s looking for during the interview process. Allen also confirmed that many assistant coaches were fired. According to multiple reports, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and special teams coach Keith Burns are out while others, including defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and defensive backs coach Raheem Morris, will have their fate determined by the next head coach.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but "inspire and lead" and "sense of urgency" has experienced coach written all over it. With rumors of Bill Cowher and Chucky running rampant, I can't help but wonder if they've already been contacted. Whoever it is needs to be a guy with "people skills". Shanahan was long known to carry grudges and it was next-to-impossible to get out of his doghouse.

Also, I'm hoping there's a damn good reason for not cleaning house with Hazmat and Morris as well. Obviously, Allen has a good reason for leaving that up to the next coach.

I hear what you're saying BT but to me the overall track record of Haslett as a DC throughout the league is enough of an indictment of his skill as a coach. His teams consistently have been in the 20's or worse. I also recognize the talent deficiencies and scheme insanity but the guy still has proven to me to be one of the worst in game managers of gameplan I've seen in a while. His defenses just don't adjust in any noticeable way, if I have to watch us over pursue on an obvious screen play 3 times in a row again I think I'm going to go crazy. Justr cut bait on the whole staff in a few days and let the new regime hire their assistants.

I do like that Bruce Allen seems to now be in charge and that a GM is actually running the show now. I think in time we're going to find out just how much damage Shanahan was doing with his own micromanaging control freak nonsense.

I saw Shefter and Mort parroting that line FTS...mission accomplished by Shanahan with the ESPN crew.

Shanahan's press conference blaming the cap for not getting the players he needed for this year.
But we had the same exact cap penalty last year, did we not ? And it wasn't a factor.

Really? You truly believe that losing 36 million in cap room over two seasons had no effect on this roster?

Then let's just sit free agency out this Spring and see what the new staff can do with what's here.

36 million spent wisely is half a defense..or offense.

It's amazing to see how alot of Skins fans so easily brush the loss of 36 million under the rug........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.