• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Re-Sign TE Fred Davis

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
March 29, 2013

REDSKINS RE-SIGN TE FRED DAVIS

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed unrestricted free agent tight end Fred Davis. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Davis (6-4, 247) was originally selected by the Redskins in the second round (48th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. He has played in 62 career games with 40 starts in five NFL seasons. For his career, he has compiled 155 receptions, 1,973 receiving yards and 12 receiving touchdowns, all with Washington.

Last season, Davis started Washington’s first seven games before being placed on the Reserve/Injured list. At the time of his injury, Davis had amassed 24 receptions for 325 yards, both team highs through seven weeks.
Davis, 27, played collegiately at Southern California from 2004-07, finishing his career with 117 receptions for 1,408 yards and 13 touchdowns in 48 games. As a senior in 2007, he became the first Trojan in school history to win the Mackey Award, given annually to the nation’s top tight end.
Davis was born on Jan. 15, 1986. He attended Rogers H.S. in Toledo, Ohio, where he split time among the wide receiver, running back, quarterback and strong safety positions as a senior in 2003.

Disappointing.

Yep. Pretty much how I feel. I understand that since we have neither the cap room (**** Mara) nor the draft picks to address all the holes on the team, this may be a necessary evil. If the kid shuts up and produces this year, great. I hope we don't then get suckered into him long term however.

No doubt disappointed. I was so hoping to read "Fred Davis signs with Buffalo" today.

As long as this is a low $/1 yr only deal with absolutely no chance of a future BIG payday with us I can tolerate it at least.

The Redskins were pretty limited in options at TE, they almost had to bring Davis back.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'll need to see a whole season from Fred with good production and no health issues or outside problems/distractions before I'll consider this a successful signing. And if this prevents them from signing Winfield, I won't be happy. I just don't see Minniefield or a rookie corner capable of coming in and playing as well as Winfield could this season.

He won't finish the season...

I hope they still plan to draft one in the 3rd or 4th round if a good one is available then.

There was zero options in the FA market thanks to that evil prick and his life partner commish. I for one woulda been quite content with letting Davis walk and ride the season on Niles and Logan.

Preferably use a mid round pick on a TE in doing so but fine with the 2 already on the roster and just drafting one next year high.

I for one woulda been quite content with letting Davis walk and ride the season on Niles and Logan.

Preferably use a mid round pick on a TE in doing so but fine with the 2 already on the roster and just drafting one next year high.

Niles has not yet done anything, to indicate that he can even play the TE position at all

Last edited:
Niles has not yet done anything, to indicate that he can even play the TE position at all

Just watched some video from last year during the latter part of our win streak and there are highlights of Paul getting some key blocks. His blocking improved tremendously last year.

Not saying he is a starter, but he definitely improved all around last year. Now if he could just hold on to the ball like he did on Thanksgiving Day last year.

Draft and hope.

I don't think signing Sleepy to a one-year deal and those desires are mutually exclusive.

Personally, I'm not expecting much from a guy coming off a season-ending achilles injury. Surprise me if he even makes the opening-day roster.

Nick

This is a win for the team. If Davis is healthy and puts up pro bowl numbers then the team has a bargain. If he gets suspended or fails to put up the numbers then he doesn't earn any incentives and makes low scale.

Then in 2014 with greater resources we can either sign Davis or acquire a legit TE in FA or draft.

Davis was our leading receiver when he got hurt. He knows the offense, doesn't suck and we don't have a lot of options.

This is a low-risk move for a player with a pretty big upside. If he keeps his head on straight and he stays healthy he will help our offense. If he does something dumb or can't stay healthy we've lost nothing. It's a one year deal. Hell, we could still draft a TE and if he outperforms Davis we cut Davis. No fuss no muss.

I'm not Fred's biggest fan but I don't know why anyone would be actively against a signing like this.

How many head cases with top tier skill or potential have ever straightened out and became the player they should/could be? Serious question. Off the top of my head, I can't recall anyone signing someone after knowing they come with baggage, then actually having it pay off. I have to be missing something. And I'm talking extended length, not what Philthy got out of Vick.

As I read from those of you who say this is a good signing, I am reminded of the ole saying, "Wish in one hand. **** it the other, and see which one is full."

Fred Davis has offered this team nothing but trouble his whole career...between falling asleep at meetings, giving half ass effort on the field, trouble in clubs, suspensions and injuries, he hasn't produced enough to justify the $5million he received last year and doesn't deserve "another" shot with this team. We could have drafted a TE who could likely produce as much as this clown.

This is another in the long line of mistakes Shanahan has made. Getting tired of it when we seem to be on the verge of being a good NFL team. And I don't want to hear about money...any contract givent to this fool, even vet minimum, is too damn much! Sometimes you just have to cut bait!

How many head cases with top tier skill or potential have ever straightened out and became the player they should/could be? Serious question. Off the top of my head, I can't recall anyone signing someone after knowing they come with baggage, then actually having it pay off. I have to be missing something. And I'm talking extended length, not what Philthy got out of Vick.

I think there are actually quite a few examples but just off the top of my head Jared Allen comes to mind.

I think there are actually quite a few examples but just off the top of my head Jared Allen comes to mind.
Brett Favre, Chris Carter...but they ended up with other teams. Sometimes a new atmosphere is needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.