• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Re-Sign TE Fred Davis

As I read from those of you who say this is a good signing, I am reminded of the ole saying, "Wish in one hand. **** it the other, and see which one is full."

Fred Davis has offered this team nothing but trouble his whole career...between falling asleep at meetings, giving half ass effort on the field, trouble in clubs, suspensions and injuries, he hasn't produced enough to justify the $5million he received last year and doesn't deserve "another" shot with this team. We could have drafted a TE who could likely produce as much as this clown.

This is another in the long line of mistakes Shanahan has made. Getting tired of it when we seem to be on the verge of being a good NFL team. And I don't want to hear about money...any contract givent to this fool, even vet minimum, is too damn much! Sometimes you just have to cut bait!

I tend towards your viewpoint on cutting bait - except I think characterizing a one year deal as a significant 'mistake' is overstating things. Of course they can draft a TE, but that may be entirely the point. Maybe they want to use this year's picks on other positions of need? Maybe they don't like any of the TE's they think they'll have a shot at selecting this draft? Who knows. But a 1 year deal isn't going to set the Redskins back imho.

Brett Favre, Chris Carter...but they ended up with other teams. Sometimes a new atmosphere is needed.

Ricky Williams? Dude ran for 1100 yards and 11 TDs for the same Miami Dolphins after failing several drug tests and then'retiring' to go smoke dope.

Kellen Winslow Jr.? After missing his entire rookie season because of a motorcycle injury and then spending the next year talking about how awesome he was, he had 1100 receiving yards the following year for the same Cleveland Browns.

John Riggins? Heavy drinker known for falling asleep during team meetings, held out an entire season for more money.

Played pretty well the next few years after that for the same Washington Redskins, I hear.

That's what I could think of off the top of my head. It happens all the time. Why is Davis so hated here? I don't get it. He got a four game suspension, which has happened to a half a dozen other players on the team, and got hurt ... which happens to tons of players and isn't really his fault. When he's on the field he's better than any TE we have, and it's not even close. We don't need to hope he suddenly plays awesome. We just need him to play like he has played before. If he doesn't we cut him.

I could see not loving the move but I just don't see hating it.

It's not just a 1-year deal though Boone. It is a repeated effort to reward bad behavior. Did you see the video of him throwing a drink on a girl? I will do my best to teach my son to never be that guy. And this knuckle head is "that" guy!

I understand and named a couple of players just off the top of my head, Henry, to support the assertion that some can change their ways. But the guys you mentioned were also on their 2nd teams...even if some of their issues were from the team they ended up excelling under. I think there is something to be said about that...oh and Winslow? He's a waste. One good season? Fred has had one of those.

I am just tired of Shanahan drafting team leaders from the college ranks and then giving idiots like Fred Davis another shot in FA. We should have cut bait last year! Another...or "one" season as Boone puts it...is just rewarding a knuckle head for his poor behavior. I mean, you think he's changed? Did you follow his escapades before re-signing with us?

Elephant, what did he do before resigning with us that was so awful? A lot of you seem to be taking something he did or said over past few weeks personally. What was it, exactly?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Threw a drink and then the bottle in the face of a girl. There's video of it.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Two years ago some girl at a club and Davis threw drinks at each other. That's what is drawing so much ire? I assumed it was something else at this point?

El, players have to not only be on the same team, but their ORIGINAL team to qualify? Why?

How about Sean Taylor then?

Michael Irvin?

I mean, if the point is players who do dumb things can't ever turn it around, well, I think there plenty of evidence to the contrary. Not that I think Davis is automatically going to play great for years or anything, but again, it's a one year deal.

Two years ago some girl at a club and Davis threw drinks at each other. That's what is drawing so much ire? I assumed it was something else at this point?

El, players have to not only be on the same team, but their ORIGINAL team to qualify? Why?

How about Sean Taylor then?

Michael Irvin?

I mean, if the point is players who do dumb things can't ever turn it around, well, I think there plenty of evidence to the contrary. Not that I think Davis is automatically going to play great for years or anything, but again, it's a one year deal.

I think if you look at all the "knuckleheadedness" over the past five years it gives you a great deal of caution when it comes down to trusting Davis. The club incident wasnt just that they threw drinks at each other... It was that he struck her and that he was even involved with her in the first place.. An alleged "pimp".

The pot suspension, missing his first minicamp ever, the bizarre courtroom antics and of course the minor run in with the police to the tune of 27 trafic violations in VA alone?

I dont know about ire or hate... I love what hes able to do on the field in the passing game... But he's got a ways to go to earn trust from me as a fan..

This is a win for the team. If Davis is healthy and puts up pro bowl numbers then the team has a bargain. If he gets suspended or fails to put up the numbers then he doesn't earn any incentives and makes low scale.

Then in 2014 with greater resources we can either sign Davis or acquire a legit TE in FA or draft.

agree.

in 2011 before the suspension he was setting crazy numbers for a Redskin TE.

he can split out and create problems for DBs and LBs that no other TE on the roster can accomplish. if he is healthy...he creates a dimension for the game that you could see Kyle was playing with before the injury.

now...he needs to get his **** together. assuming he wants his one shot at a big pay day...he knows Robert is the ticket.

I dont know about ire or hate... I love what hes able to do on the field in the passing game... But he's got a ways to go to earn trust from me as a fan..

That's fine. That's why a one year deal is a good thing. He has to earn it.

He has to stay out of trouble. He has to prove the injury is not going to affect his play. Otherwise he's someone else's problem.

It's just the way some people are talking you'd think he shot their dog or something.

Despite the long storied list of players who were off-the-field headaches and turned it around, including a few Redskins I might add, Fred Davis is such a unique case who has apparently acted so beyond the pale that even signing him to a modest one-year deal is an affront to the team's moral character, or something. :)

I dunno. I'm really not trying to defend Davis. I just find this whole thread a little ... weird.

I'll let it go now.

Maybe you should just marry him, Henry.

:)

Yeah, well ... I... you ... he ...

I got nuthin.

Well played sir. Well played. :)

I agree with the negative feelings toward Davis. But I also think the one year deal is perfect. A very talented knucklehead in a contract year is a win, for the reasons already stated.

Where I differ a bit is that I feel this should be his last year as Redskin regardless. Get the best possible out of him and let him be someone else's headache after this year, regardless of how well he does.

Screws up, gone. Average, gone. Great year, excellent for the Redskins, huge contract with some other team.

I have some confidence that he can stay out of trouble this year. I am very confident that if he does, he'll be a big part of the offense. I have zero confidence that once he gets his payday he'll stay out of trouble and consistently perform well.

Having been a Redskins fan for a while, it's difficult for me to accept the concept of a "lost cause." :)

The contract seems reasonable in terms of "Here's your chance to redeem yourself, Fred."

Ball's in your court now, Sleepy-do, or do not.

There is no more try.

So, what if he goes out and replicates the "one" good season he had in his single year contract? Do we sign him to a multi-year deal? Then what happens? He gets his money. You think his history shows that he can/will give us 100% again? I doubt it seriously.

Henry, I am not saying players cannot turn themselves around, be it on the same team or elsewhere...history in this league shows players usually redeem themselves on different teams. But the kid is walking a fine line and while this contract is not bank breaking, it has the potential of seeing this knucklehead get a chance to sign for big money from us...again...and then coast out his career. If he doesn't have Albert Haynesworthitis written all over him, then I don't know who does.

Edit: Just saw SNF's post and that is my biggest fear...

Why is Davis so hated here? I don't get it.
At this point he represents the culmination of the vinny Cerrato era. His fault? No. Just the way the cookie crumbled. He's the last of blown draft picks and undeserving divas.

So, what if he goes out and replicates the "one" good season he had in his single year contract? Do we sign him to a multi-year deal?
Hopefully at that point we'll actually have options. More picks more cap space.

Hope he has a great year. Gets a big pay day afterwards. With someone else.

It's not a joke for the still rehabbing Davis to be in line to take up $2.5M under the cap in 2013.

Not including another $1.25M in incentives.

So we have a TE that has never made the pro bowl or caught a pass in a playoff game and with almost no other funds shot the wad on him being a difference maker?

I just don't buy the Fred Davis is our Gronk or Graham in the rough.

When healthy he is a bit above average as a receiver while being a so-so blocker.

Yech. That's too much ... especially the signing bonus.

He's not even a so-so blocker.

At one point last season my buddy and I were compiling video shots of Davis' atrocious down field blocking. I still have the clips, I never put it together. The goal was to make a blog post out of it. Like many things I start, I never find the time to finish them...

Anyways, he's awful. As in worst on the team awful. It's not even close.

I think the working title was 'Fred Davis has the best seat in the house', playing off the fact that he spends more time watching the play unfold in front of him than actively participating in the play.

The number of yards and first downs left on the field because Davis was too busy watching Morris (or Griffin) run instead of throwing a block is gut wrenching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.