• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Place Franchise Tag on Brian Orakpo

Not surprised that the Redskins decided to play Tag A Rak.

Now the conversations can turn to "what if a team offered .......... for him. Do we take it"?

Cheaper this year to tag him then pay him what he wants. As I said in another thread, we have to tread lightly with him. If we pay him $13 mil a year, then Kerrigan warrants $15 mil after next season. This year we have Orakpo AND Kerrigan in a 'free agent' year of their contract. Put up or shut up. Now is when you go to Kerrigan and get an extension, and offer him $10mil. If he takes that, Orakpo's lofty expectations are humbled. Does Orakpo REALLY want to go head to head with Kerrigan in contract discussions with the Redskins?

Not surprised that the Redskins decided to play Tag A Rak.

Now the conversations can turn to "what if a team offered .......... for him. Do we take it"?

2 first round picks? You better take it as long as the purchasing team doesn't reside in the NFC East.

For 2 first rounders I'd give him to Dallas and throw in our play book and flight costs.

Cheaper this year to tag him then pay him what he wants. As I said in another thread, we have to tread lightly with him. If we pay him $13 mil a year, then Kerrigan warrants $15 mil after next season. This year we have Orakpo AND Kerrigan in a 'free agent' year of their contract. Put up or shut up. Now is when you go to Kerrigan and get an extension, and offer him $10mil. If he takes that, Orakpo's lofty expectations are humbled. Does Orakpo REALLY want to go head to head with Kerrigan in contract discussions with the Redskins?

Not worried about those numbers. The cap is expected to go to $140 mil next year (another $7 mil climb) and then go to $150 mil in two years. By then, a deal for Tag A Rak and Kerrigan will look like absolute bargains.

Not worried about those numbers. The cap is expected to go to $140 mil next year (another $7 mil climb) and then go to $150 mil in two years. By then, a deal for Tag A Rak and Kerrigan will look like absolute bargains.

Yeah, and it would look even better if we lock both in for about $10 a year. I like the direction this organization is going, but retaining these guys at a good price would be an even bigger step in the right direction. Looking forward, paying them combined $30 mil a year is 1/5 your cap number in 2016. Then you gotta pay Griffin/Morris and resign Garcon. Call me cynical, and over analytic, but young staff, young team... it's time to build, not bandage.

DeAngelo Hall
@rak98 welcome back #RakSackCity I know it's not the long term deal you want but it's another year to Ball & make Plays bro love ya lil bro

Brian Orakpo ‏@rak98 37m
@DeAngeloHall23 Preciate it bro lets get this team RIGHT!

Is it really that hard for Skins fans ?

They're all still beating themselves up, about the hiring of Zorn !

Depends on the fan... I'm excited. Franchising Orakpo means we are no longer at the mercy of the players. This organization wants players who want to be here... and they are willing to compensate them, with the better being of the franchise being priority 1.

I really don't think signing Rak is going to make things that bleak,salary cap wise,as some Redskins fans think.

The cap is going up about 20 million over the next two years and I trust Bruce and Co. more with that than say...Dan and Vinny.

I really don't think signing Rak is going to make things that bleak,salary cap wise,as some Redskins fans think.

The cap is going up about 20 million over the next two years and I trust Bruce and Co. more with that than say...Dan and Vinny.

Bleak? No. Statement... yes.

Topic for beating oneself over:

' we could have afforded X player under the cap in FA if not for the franchise tag' used on Orakpo.

' we could have afforded X player under the cap in FA if not for the franchise tag' used on Orakpo.

"Pro Bowler Brian Orakpo sets franchise record for sacks as a Chicago Bear"

I honestly think players don't like being franchised unless the franchise tells them that they're interested in a long term deal and are just using it to buy more time.

I don't think the redskins are interested in buying more time, I think they're interested in getting him at a price they feel is right, but they also can't replace him and have holes and know it.

There's also rumblings he wants to franchised at the DE number which is higher.

I hate when players decide the rules aren't meant for them and protest in these ways. That said it's just a report, we'll find out when OTA's start.

I honestly think players don't like being franchised unless the franchise tells them that they're interested in a long term deal and are just using it to buy more time.

I don't think the redskins are interested in buying more time, I think they're interested in getting him at a price they feel is right, but they also can't replace him and have holes and know it.

There's also rumblings he wants to franchised at the DE number which is higher.

I hate when players decide the rules aren't meant for them and protest in these ways. That said it's just a report, we'll find out when OTA's start.

I have to believe that this is true. We want to lock him up for 4 - 5 years and he's trying to squeeze every dollar out. If we give him a 5 year deal, he'll be 32 when it expires, so this is probably his last 'big' payday opportunity. I cant say I blame him, but I am behind how the front office is handling this.

I have to believe that this is true. We want to lock him up for 4 - 5 years and he's trying to squeeze every dollar out. If we give him a 5 year deal, he'll be 32 when it expires, so this is probably his last 'big' payday opportunity. I cant say I blame him, but I am behind how the front office is handling this.

Agreed.

And if there wasn't a market for him at that price they'd let him go. But they know someone will pay him that, so this is the only option. Which should only serve to make him even more pissed.

Agreed.

And if there wasn't a market for him at that price they'd let him go. But they know someone will pay him that, so this is the only option. Which should only serve to make him even more pissed.

If we can rebound and make a push towards the playoffs it helps in negotiating next off-season.. locking up Kerrigan helps as well

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.